• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Swimming

Started by vu72, March 03, 2014, 11:06:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vinny

Thanks for the info VUSWIM. Even ignoring the fact that the team apparently puts itself behind the 8 ball by not competing in the diving portion of competitions (???), I find it disgraceful that the school would allow its students to get sick because it can't properly construct a facility. First and foremost, it's poor ethics. Secondly, that's bad business! Why would the university subject itself to potential legal trouble, especially in a branch of its business that it obviously doesn't care about? No offense with that last sentence VUSWIM, I am just stating what appears to be obvious.

valpogal

Don't hold your breath for a new pool or a new field house.  Money is extremely tight and fundraising is going toward the endowment.  As someone said previously, unless a donor or donors hand over a huge amount of money specifically for a pool and a field house, it's just not gonna happen.  The ARC itself is stuck where it is unless a donor steps forward for that too.  Athletics, and athletic facilities are just not a priority.

bbtds

Quote from: valpogal on August 28, 2016, 11:31:22 AMAthletics, and athletic facilities are just not a priority.

Where have we heard this from the Valpo administration before?

As far as Valpo new athletic facilities are not going to happen just because they appear on a master plan that gets changed every so many years. It takes money and
the VU administration doesn't see athletics as that high of a priority. 

Nothing has changed much over the years.

valpotx

I would have to think that the field house will happen, considering we bought that hospital land for that purpose, and Heckler mentions it every time he comes down to TX to meet alums...
"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

Quote from: valpotx on August 29, 2016, 01:12:31 AM
I would have to think that the field house will happen, considering we bought that hospital land for that purpose, and Heckler mentions it every time he comes down to TX to meet alums...

Because it's in a master plan and the president mentions it often? We are extremely gullible alumni sometimes.  That hospital land would make a great spot for some new academic buildings also. Especially since it looks like the parking garage is structurally unsafe and will have to be torn down.

FWalum

Quote from: bbtds on August 29, 2016, 12:00:20 PMlooks like the parking garage is structurally unsafe and will have to be torn down.
Is that new information? Don't know that I have heard that from any other source...
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

Valpo89

Quote from: FWalum on August 30, 2016, 08:20:17 AM
Quote from: bbtds on August 29, 2016, 12:00:20 PMlooks like the parking garage is structurally unsafe and will have to be torn down.
Is that new information? Don't know that I have heard that from any other source...

I have heard the same information. Parking garage is a mess.

bbtds

Quote from: FWalum on August 30, 2016, 08:20:17 AM

My Valpo connection said he read it in the newspaper. Not sure which one.

sliman

I also would like to hear the source of the parking garage information.  I'm not saying I don't believe it, but it comes as a surprise since the parking garage in question was used last year.  As for the fieldhouse/hospital land/master plan issue, most master plans are often better described as visions and always are subject to change.  That having been said, I think the plan continues to be to build a multi-purpose field house on that property, perhaps with some IM or practice fields adjacent.  It would be wonderful if that includes a pool, but perhaps the best option for a pool/aquatic center is to partner with the city, build something on the vacant area on the north side of Lincolnway, perhaps even finance some of it with city bonds that wouldn't negatively impact the university's debt ratio.  Hopefully smarter people than I are exploring such options.

Valpo89

Quote from: sliman on August 31, 2016, 10:02:10 PM
I also would like to hear the source of the parking garage information.  I'm not saying I don't believe it, but it comes as a surprise since the parking garage in question was used last year.  As for the fieldhouse/hospital land/master plan issue, most master plans are often better described as visions and always are subject to change.  That having been said, I think the plan continues to be to build a multi-purpose field house on that property, perhaps with some IM or practice fields adjacent.  It would be wonderful if that includes a pool, but perhaps the best option for a pool/aquatic center is to partner with the city, build something on the vacant area on the north side of Lincolnway, perhaps even finance some of it with city bonds that wouldn't negatively impact the university's debt ratio.  Hopefully smarter people than I are exploring such options.
Source: A close family member who works in the "physical plant" department.

vu72

Just wanted to congratulate Max Penn was setting a new school record in the 200 back at 1:50.61!!  Good for 11th place in the Horizon League Championships!  ???

Our swim teams finished in VERY last place, not even close to the next worst team.   :'(
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

Quote from: vu72 on February 26, 2017, 08:20:32 AM
Just wanted to congratulate Max Penn was setting a new school record in the 200 back at 1:50.61!!  Good for 11th place in the Horizon League Championships!  ???

Our swim teams finished in VERY last place, not even close to the next worst team.   :'(

Here are the results:

Final Team Scores:
Women's Final Scores:
1. Oakland 842.5
2. Milwaukee 626.5
3. UIC 417
4. Green Bay 401
5. Cleveland State 382
6. Youngstown State 361
7. Wright State 358
8. Valparaiso 95

Men's Final Scores:
1. Oakland 839.5  (Natatorium has a 50m x 25m pool with seating for 1000; opened 1998)
2. Cleveland State 663 (Natatorium has a 50m x 25yd pool with seating for 1500; opened 1973)
3. UIC 522 (Natatorium has a 50m x 25m pool; opened 1982; site of 2017 HL championships)
4. Wright State 423.5 (25 m competition pool with ajoining diving tank and warm up tank)
5. Green Bay 391 (96' 8 lane pool )
6. Milwaukee 384 (25 m 8 lane pool; opened 1977)
7. Valparaiso 148 (25 yd 6 lane pool; opened 1962)

Order of finish for men and somewhat similar finish for women looks to be directly proportional to the type of facility each team calls home.

VU2014

I'm sorry but our University needs to give our Swim Team the resources to succeed.

The facility is a black eye on the athletics department. If we want to potentially get an invite into a "better" conference that will make the athletics department more revenue then we need to upgrade this facility.

Vinny

Quote from: VULB#62 on February 26, 2017, 10:20:02 AMMen's Final Scores: 1. Oakland 839.5  (Natatorium has a 50m x 25m pool with seating for 1000; opened 1998) 2. Cleveland State 663 (Natatorium has a 50m x 25yd pool with seating for 1500; opened 1973) 3. UIC 522 (Natatorium has a 50m x 25m pool; opened 1982; site of 2017 HL championships) 4. Wright State 423.5 (25 m competition pool with ajoining diving tank and warm up tank) 5. Green Bay 391 (96' 8 lane pool ) 6. Milwaukee 384 (25 m 8 lane pool; opened 1977) 7. Valparaiso 148 (25 yd 6 lane pool; opened 1962) Order of finish for men and somewhat similar finish for women looks to be directly proportional to the type of facility each team calls home.

An item of continued humiliation. Not just the results, but the fact that Valpo has a bathtub to train in while the majority of the league swims in a real pool. How does the program retain student-athletes??

usc4valpo

Cripe, how in the world can you even have a swim team with such crappy facilities? They were bad back in the 80's! This is embarrassing. Is Valpo really that strapped for cash?

valpotx

Quote from: Vinny on February 27, 2017, 09:07:46 AM
Quote from: VULB#62 on February 26, 2017, 10:20:02 AMMen's Final Scores: 1. Oakland 839.5  (Natatorium has a 50m x 25m pool with seating for 1000; opened 1998) 2. Cleveland State 663 (Natatorium has a 50m x 25yd pool with seating for 1500; opened 1973) 3. UIC 522 (Natatorium has a 50m x 25m pool; opened 1982; site of 2017 HL championships) 4. Wright State 423.5 (25 m competition pool with ajoining diving tank and warm up tank) 5. Green Bay 391 (96' 8 lane pool ) 6. Milwaukee 384 (25 m 8 lane pool; opened 1977) 7. Valparaiso 148 (25 yd 6 lane pool; opened 1962) Order of finish for men and somewhat similar finish for women looks to be directly proportional to the type of facility each team calls home.

An item of continued humiliation. Not just the results, but the fact that Valpo has a bathtub to train in while the majority of the league swims in a real pool. How does the program retain student-athletes??

We retain them, because they would not make a D-1 roster at other schools.  Just look at the results, and you can tell that these kids would most likely be swimming/diving at a lower level, if it weren't for our crappy S&D program.  If we upgraded our pool, we would get better recruits, and the current student-athletes would not be able to make the roster.  It is a tough truth, but a truth nonetheless. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

VU2014

Wright State is dropping swimming. Valpo men's swimming is looking for a new home, but would this change the Horizon leagues mind on not allowing Men's swimming to remain in the Conference. Makes sense for both parties.

https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/865581929386487809

VULB#62

Nah.  It makes too much sense.  The HL let Belmont in as an affilliate in MSO.  Why not Valpo MS&D?

We, as a team, don't do that well in the HL, but at least some of our swimmers can compete for individual honors.    We would get killed in the MAC in all respects.

vu72

Quote from: VULB#62 on May 19, 2017, 10:42:40 AM
Nah.  It makes too much sense.  The HL let Belmont in as an affilliate in MSO.  Why not Valpo MS&D?

We, as a team, don't do that well in the HL, but at least some of our swimmers can compete for individual honors.    We would get killed in the MAC in all respects.

Perhaps. Clearly swimming is far and away our weakest sport.  As pointed out earlier in this thread.  One of our swimmers set a new school record and that got him an 11th place finish in the Horizon League swim meet.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

historyman

Are the swimming teams making any progress or are they just "treading water?"

"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

VULB#62

In a previous life I coached a public HS team for 4 years. We went from last place in our league to NY State Sectional Champs.  How?  For four years I had basically the same kids. None were AAU  or travel team stars.  We had a basic 6 lane pool. Nothing great. After year one, I asked the kids to come to school at 6 am for 2000 yards of base endurance practice.  They all showed up. Then we practiced in the afternoon doing the fine tuning of strokes and technique as well as getting in another 2000 -2500 yards. I am still in contact with these guys to this day. They loved the discipline and the demands cuz they saw how it made a difference.

Good swimmers can be great swimmers providing the commitment and demands are there.  I get the feeling that our VU kids are not being pushed enough.

There are few people here who can even grasp what a swimmer does. Imagine looking at a black line at the bottom of a pool for 2 hours while pacing your breathing over that 2 hours every day.

Valpo can be competitive despite a crappy pool. Our coach has to just make greater demands. He might lose hangers-on but the teams (both male and female) would get better. The problem I think I see is that there is no pressure to do that.

VULB#62

Quote from: VU2014 on May 19, 2017, 10:06:20 AM
https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/865581929386487809

They dropped BOTH men's and women's programs.  Too bad.  But in the grand scheme of things at a largely commuter school with 12,700 enrolled, cutting expenses for 38 swimmers is inconsequential (but, of course, devastating to the kids and coaches). 

Here is the WSU Facilities capsule on their natatorium. 
http://www.wsuraiders.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=27000&ATCLID=205160542

Impressive place. 6 wide lanes, separate but contiguous dive tank and warmup tank, and spectator seating(!). A shame that such an investment will no longer be used as intended. Not to contradict my previous post, but if Valpo had that facility, I'd bet we would attract some really good swimmers due to the quality of education we offer and our campus culture, both of which appeal to swimmers and divers.

[click to enlarge]

valpogal

Swimming has 2 scholarships-one for the men, one for the women.

VULB#62

Quote from: valpogal on May 28, 2017, 06:56:12 PM
Swimming has 2 scholarships-one for the men, one for the women.

I dont think that a full ride or a divided full ride is that important to good swimmers who are also good students (and most swimmers are).  There are a ton of D-III swimmmers who could blow the doors off many of our kids. The thing is that we offer a helluva education and a great campus culture to these kids.  But if you are gonna have to foot the bills anyway, you might as well go to a D-III school whose pool is top notch. The prestige of swimming D-I is a consideration, no doubt, but (1) if you are not Michael Phelps and (2) you're paying your own way pretty much, why not comptete for a D-III championsip while training in a good facility at a highly rated liberal arts college rather than be part of a program that finds itself always near the bottom of whaever conference they are in.