• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

New Feature: Similar Topics

Started by valpo04, March 19, 2014, 12:17:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpo04

Have you ever created a thread only to find that someone else has already created a thread for the same topic?

Have you been afraid to create new topics because you aren't sure if what you want to post has already been posted, perhaps in a different board?

Worry no longer!

When creating a new topic, there is now a dynamic list that automatically generates up to 5 similar topics on the fly, based on what you type. The list shows you similar topics across the entire forum.

Additionally, when viewing a thread, at the bottom of the page will be a list that shows similar topics that you might be interested in.

Let me know if you have any issues with this new feature.

valpotx

That's a pretty cool feature.  Yay technology ;)
"Don't mess with Texas"

historyman

Quote from: valpo04 on March 19, 2014, 12:17:45 PMHave you ever created a thread only to find that someone else has already created a thread for the same topic? Have you been afraid to create new topics because you aren't sure if what you want to post has already been posted, perhaps in a different board? Worry no longer! When creating a new topic, there is now a dynamic list that automatically generates up to 5 similar topics on the fly, based on what you type. The list shows you similar topics across the entire forum. Additionally, when viewing a thread, at the bottom of the page will be a list that shows similar topics that you might be interested in. Let me know if you have any issues with this new feature.
I'm wondering if the "similar topics" could be limited to within one year of the time of the new thread. There are some really old threads in those "similar topics" and even if they are similar if they are two to three years old I would want a new thread started anyway. For the same reason that a warning statement comes up about how old the thread is when adding a post to a thread. Just a suggestion.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

FWalum

Quote from: historyman on March 19, 2014, 09:08:22 PM
Quote from: valpo04 on March 19, 2014, 12:17:45 PMHave you ever created a thread only to find that someone else has already created a thread for the same topic? Have you been afraid to create new topics because you aren't sure if what you want to post has already been posted, perhaps in a different board? Worry no longer! When creating a new topic, there is now a dynamic list that automatically generates up to 5 similar topics on the fly, based on what you type. The list shows you similar topics across the entire forum. Additionally, when viewing a thread, at the bottom of the page will be a list that shows similar topics that you might be interested in. Let me know if you have any issues with this new feature.
I'm wondering if the "similar topics" could be limited to within one year of the time of the new thread. There are some really old threads in those "similar topics" and even if they are similar if they are two to three years old I would want a new thread started anyway. For the same reason that a warning statement comes up about how old the thread is when adding a post to a thread. Just a suggestion.
Unless the idea is to use these threads for historical research then I agree with historyman and would maybe even suggest that the time frame be as short as 6 months.  I don't know that you want people adding to threads older than a year unless it is maybe a recruiting thread started several years ahead of graduation. 
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

bbtds

Unless you could list the newer threads separately from the threads older than one year.

valpo04

I can't restrict the timeframe from which the similar topics are generated but I was able to sort them based on age.

From now on, the similar threads will be ordered based on their last comment (newest comment first).

The feature has two purposes, the first is outlined in my original post. The second is more for fun/research/time killing.

historyman

Quote from: valpo04 on March 24, 2014, 06:51:09 AMI can't restrict the timeframe from which the similar topics are generated but I was able to sort them based on age. From now on, the similar threads will be ordered based on their last comment (newest comment first). The feature has two purposes, the first is outlined in my original post. The second is more for fun/research/time killing.
Thanks, I do appreciate this feature. I'm sure there will be others who will not check dates and ignore warnings and post to more-than-1-year-old threads accidently but hopefully this will keep it to a minimum. Hopefully!
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann