• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

New Feature: "Like" posts and topics

Started by valpo04, April 11, 2014, 08:13:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpo04

I've implemented the ability to "Like" a post or topic that you did not create.

This is a simple way to give someone a "like" without having to reply and also a way to "favorite" topics or posts.

All "likes" that you have given or received will show up in your profile. Profile -> Summary ->Profile Info (on left) -> Like Posts...

That will take you to all of the Likes you have given or received which makes it easy to bookmark topics that you are interested in and also show a list of posts you have made that people liked.

I am testing this out, if people do not like it or do not find it useful, we can remove it but I think it is a pretty cool modification that serves multiple, useful purposes.

Enjoy!

historyman

If you're going to put a "LIKE" button you have to give the posters a "DISLIKE" button because we have to be able to offset the likes in posts that are controversial.

It's a way of showing that the board isn't one-sided one way or the other.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

LaPorteAveApostle

Yeah, because that's how Facebook does it.

Just don't click "like", then.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

historyman

Well then I've disliked every post on the board.

There must be a way to balance out the voting when a post is controversial and gets some likes.

I suppose another poster could post the opposite view and then get more likes.

Could the dislike button show up after the post receives over 10 or some such number of likes?
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: historyman on April 12, 2014, 12:32:39 PMCould the dislike button show up after the post receives over 10 or some such number of likes?
That is hilarious!

(But then, like, when you post something I like and it has 9 likes, I'm all like, "oh i like it but i'd better not like it like it or people can dislike it".  Like, you know.)
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valporun

Did the board really need to go the way of updating things in the same manner of "Facebooking" itself? I enjoy posting on this board when I want to, but it shouldn't mean I have to like it. Whose ego needed stroking with this updating?

valpo04

Quote from: valporun on April 16, 2014, 02:18:19 PM
Did the board really need to go the way of updating things in the same manner of "Facebooking" itself? I enjoy posting on this board when I want to, but it shouldn't mean I have to like it. Whose ego needed stroking with this updating?

I guess I missed where "liking" was mandatory.  If you don't "like" the new feature, don't use it. Pretty simple really.

Some of us want to be able to say "nice post" or show that we agree with what someone posted. To me, clicking a button is a lot easier and nicer than cluttering up a thread with a "+1" or "good post" or "I agree" reply.