• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

First unread post problems?

Started by LaPorteAveApostle, June 19, 2014, 01:03:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaPorteAveApostle

Wondered if anyone else had an issue with clicking on the "new" post button...lately, on multiple topics across multiple boards, I am brought not to a specific post, but somewhere in the middle of the page, and then I have to scroll down.  FirstWorldProblems, I know, but wondering if Safari is letting me down or what?
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

historyman

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on June 19, 2014, 01:03:01 PMWondered if anyone else had an issue with clicking on the "new" post button...lately, on multiple topics across multiple boards, I am brought not to a specific post, but somewhere in the middle of the page, and then I have to scroll down.  FirstWorldProblems, I know, but wondering if Safari is letting me down or what?

I have had this issue in the past. I found out it was something that I had changed in my preferences section. I can't seem to remember exactly what it was that I had changed though.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valpo04

I haven't noticed a problem but I will investigate.

valpo04

I just checked and there was a patch update for the forum software. I'm not sure it will address your issue but it might.

Let me know if this behavior continues.

LaPorteAveApostle

Thanks so much for that--it's not every thread but many of them.  I'll start tracking which ones work and which don't.

What is surprising to me is that it doesn't bring me to the top of another previously read post--it brings me to the middle of another previously read post. 
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpo04

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on June 20, 2014, 11:56:03 AM
Thanks so much for that--it's not every thread but many of them.  I'll start tracking which ones work and which don't.

What is surprising to me is that it doesn't bring me to the top of another previously read post--it brings me to the middle of another previously read post. 

I'm wondering if it has something to do with embedded tweets. See if the one's you have problems with have those. What *might* be happening is the plaintext tweets are being formatted and it pushes the page down. Your browser may be taking you to the correct spot initially but once the tweets convert, it pushes the content down a bit. If there are multiple tweets or even a slow loading picture or some other media, it may do the same thing.

Just a hypothesis...

LaPorteAveApostle

That is interesante.  Just checked it with the recruiting '14 post, which loaded perfecto, but there was a single tweet above (osipoff).  I'll keep an eye on it and try to give you more than "um i think i'm having like a problem" information :)

LaPorteAveApostle

Here is a pair of screenshots of what I got when clicking on the two threads active this morning:

valpo04

Interesting.

In these cases were the first full post that are visible the newest post for you (historyman's and Eddie Cabot's)?

valpo04

So neither of those pages have embedded tweets and the arena topic only has a picture in a newer post than where you were paged to.

I'm stumped.

I'm also stumped because I read both of those topics just now and was taken to the right spot both times.

LaPorteAveApostle

Ironically, this thread loaded PERFICKLY.

And it's not like it brought me to the wrong post either--it didn't bring me to a post at all!

I'll try chrome next time.