• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2015 valpo hockey

Started by Valpo_Hockey, January 20, 2015, 08:29:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbtds

Quote from: vu72 on January 22, 2015, 09:39:13 AMIndianapolis University Natatoriumat $18 million,
Do you have a reference for this story? Is it the NWI Times? I sure would like to know if they are talking about the facility at the University of Indianapolis or the IUPUI Natatorium.

http://athletics.uindy.edu/sports/2008/10/16/sidebar_647.aspx?id=123

The RLC pool, opened in 1982, is a 25-yard/meter eight-lane competitive facility that also includes a separate 13-foot-deep diving well with two one-meter and one three-meter maxiflex diving boards. Daktronics timing system is used.  The facility features the use of underwater viewing, helpful in stroke analysis.  The crown jewel of the pool is the newly-installed video board which displays times and multimedia at home events.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indiana_University_Natatorium

The main competition pool of the Natatorium is 50-meters with eight racing lanes. Two moveable bulkheads allow for long or short course events as well as hosting water polo and synchronized swimming. The seating capacity of the Natatorium is 4,700, making it the largest indoor pool in the United States. There is also room for additional seating of 1,500 on deck. The depth of the pool is 9 feet (2.7 m) at the ends and 10 feet (3.0 m) at center of pool. Water temperature is kept at 79 °F (26 °C). The main pool contains six underwater windows for television and coaching analysis. There are approximately 1,000,000 US gallons (3,800,000 l; 830,000 imp gal) of water in the main pool. There have been 101 American records and 15 world records set in the pool to date.

As part of the agreement for being selected to host the upcoming 2016 USA Diving Olympic Trials, the Natatorium is scheduled to undergo roughly $18 million in renovation and repairs before 2016. The project will include a new roof and improved climate control. According to local television station WTHR, "the venue cost $21 million to build in 1982, and would cost nearly $75 million to replace."

vu72

Quote from: bbtds on January 22, 2015, 11:53:12 AM
Quote from: vu72 on January 22, 2015, 09:39:13 AMIndianapolis University Natatoriumat $18 million,

Do you have a reference for this story? Is it the NWI Times? I sure would like to know if they are talking about the facility at the University of Indianapolis or another facility.

http://athletics.uindy.edu/sports/2008/10/16/sidebar_647.aspx?id=123

The RLC pool, opened in 1982, is a 25-yard/meter eight-lane competitive facility that also includes a separate 13-foot-deep diving well with two one-meter and one three-meter maxiflex diving boards. Daktronics timing system is used.  The facility features the use of underwater viewing, helpful in stroke analysis.  The crown jewel of the pool is the newly-installed video board which displays times and multimedia at home events.

Here ya go:

http://www.chestertontribune.com/Porter%20County/duneland_potential_hot_spot_for.htm
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

Valpo_Hockey

Quote from: vu72 on January 22, 2015, 09:26:17 AM
Quote from: Valpo_Hockey on January 22, 2015, 09:17:53 AM
The proposed design includes 2 sheets of ice and 5k seating capacity.

:troll:
I auditioned for the role in the hobbit films. Unfortunately I didn't get the part. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Valpo_Hockey

Quote from: a3uge on January 22, 2015, 11:25:17 AM
Quote from: Valpo_Hockey on January 22, 2015, 09:17:53 AM
The proposed design includes 2 sheets of ice and 5k seating capacity.

This I will certainly believe when I see it. Did someone actually at the university say this? Seems like it's as feasible as this "Duneland Arena". This is the same university that took _years_ to build a track for a team that was already D1 and still hasn't addressed the needed seat upgrades at the ARC.
This is several years away. We are still in the early stages. Support for the team will help the project move quicker. There is no doubt we will have struggles. But I'm confident in the individuals working behind the scenes to see this through. I hope to see you at some games.

classof2014

I'd hate to burst your bubble but I don't foresee an NCAA sanctioned hockey team coming to Valpo anytime soon and if a club team were to form it wouldn't last once the inaugural group of guys graduate. Hockey isn't a cheap sport (I played through high-school) just the ice rental can cost a couple of grand, not speaking about equipment, travel expenses etc... Unlike soccer and ultimate frisbee where all is needed is an open field to practice and the uniforms can be fairly simple and the only thing the university would be paying for is travel (for the most part). While hockey has tons of expenses my parents coughed up 2-3 grand a year just for me to play not to mention the equipment.

Also since there isn't a rink in Valpo that would mean travelling to St. Johns or South Bend, which is no short drive and would cost quite a bit in gas not to mention the time wasted travelling that could be spent studying. Also travelling to South Bend or St. Johns in the winter months on a regular basis could be quite treacherous during some snowier years especially to South Bend.

I really don't foresee the university putting any money into this at the moment. Many things need to happen before a team forms. It took the university how long to build a track? And that is fairly simple and cheap, relatively speaking. Right now the university has bigger fish to fry like much needed renovations to the ARC and other athletic facilities. Maybe if a full size rink goes into the planned fieldhouse then I could see it happening.

I don't know what goes in behind the scenes as well. If a player were to suffer a major injury, especially a major head injury, what does that cost the university? Will it all be out of pocket for the player/player's family.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see a Valpo hockey team but until yesterday I heard no mention of this from the university, while I attended and since I've graduated.

Good luck! You'll need it!

Vinny

Are we talking about the same ath dept that has their swimming team race in the 4th best pool in town behind the local hotels? As others have wisely pointed out, there are far too many upgrades that need to happen with current programs and facilities (ARC, new fieldhouse, pool, football locker rooms, baseball). Valpo can't afford to support anything that would resemble the money pit that hockey would be. And just for the record, I love hockey. 

Valpo_Hockey

Quote from: classof2014 on January 22, 2015, 12:52:14 PM
I'd hate to burst your bubble but I don't foresee an NCAA sanctioned hockey team coming to Valpo anytime soon and if a club team were to form it wouldn't last once the inaugural group of guys graduate. Hockey isn't a cheap sport (I played through high-school) just the ice rental can cost a couple of grand, not speaking about equipment, travel expenses etc... Unlike soccer and ultimate frisbee where all is needed is an open field to practice and the uniforms can be fairly simple and the only thing the university would be paying for is travel (for the most part). While hockey has tons of expenses my parents coughed up 2-3 grand a year just for me to play not to mention the equipment.

Also since there isn't a rink in Valpo that would mean travelling to St. Johns or South Bend, which is no short drive and would cost quite a bit in gas not to mention the time wasted travelling that could be spent studying. Also travelling to South Bend or St. Johns in the winter months on a regular basis could be quite treacherous during some snowier years especially to South Bend.

I really don't foresee the university putting any money into this at the moment. Many things need to happen before a team forms. It took the university how long to build a track? And that is fairly simple and cheap, relatively speaking. Right now the university has bigger fish to fry like much needed renovations to the ARC and other athletic facilities. Maybe if a full size rink goes into the planned fieldhouse then I could see it happening.

I don't know what goes in behind the scenes as well. If a player were to suffer a major injury, especially a major head injury, what does that cost the university? Will it all be out of pocket for the player/player's family.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see a Valpo hockey team but until yesterday I heard no mention of this from the university, while I attended and since I've graduated.

Good luck! You'll need it!
USA hockey covers any medical costs that the players insurance does not. We are operating around a 100k budget next year.

classof2014

Who is coming up with the 100 K?

Is the university funding it fully?

A donor willing to pay for a hockey program?

All out of pocket?

ml2

Hi everyone! I just spoke to ml about this. There are no plans for and no discussions taking place involving the Athletics Department or the Recreational Sports Department for starting an NCAA sanctioned or club level ice hockey team affiliated with Valparaiso University. There are also no plans involving either of those Departments for an ice rink anywhere on campus.

Valpo_Hockey

Quote from: ml2 on January 22, 2015, 05:11:07 PM
Hi everyone! I just spoke to ml about this. There are no plans for and no discussions taking place involving the Athletics Department or the Recreational Sports Department for starting an NCAA sanctioned or club level ice hockey team affiliated with Valparaiso University. There are also no plans involving either of those Departments for an ice rink anywhere on campus.
I guess you will be surprised come September.

bbtds

Quote from: Valpo_Hockey on January 22, 2015, 06:04:17 PM
I guess you will be surprised come September.

I would think the athletic director (ml) would be the most surprised if a VU sponsored hockey club suddenly happened in September that he didn't know anything about in January. I wonder why the people sponsoring this VU hockey club would hide it from Valpo's athletic director.

a3uge

vu72

HAHAHAHAHA LOLOLOLO!! As I said from the start, this hockey guy is a troll trying to get attention, or, is a guy fully under the influence of something.  Stop wasting our posting space!!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

LaPorteAveApostle

LOL

'saders is back

(shuddup tex)
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

vu72

Really hysterical when you think about "two ice sheets with a 5000 seat capacity"!!    :troll: :thewave:

LaPorteAveApostle

really, though, you were the first to call him out on his bull-sheet.  well done.

although, all you have to do is take the "c" out of the thread title and it's even more accurate.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

a3uge

Yeah not sure anyone was buying the arena, but since Valpo used to have a club team, the addition of another club team seemed plausible. Oh well. Still curious as to what jerseys would look like.

valpotx

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on January 22, 2015, 09:06:10 PM
LOL

'saders is back

(shuddup tex)

Oh come on, I don't even get the chance to call you out again? ;)

ValpoHockey, in case you didn't realize from the other posts, ml2 is the son of Valpo's Athletic Director (who also posts here occasionally), and part of the Valpo Athletic Department as well.  He would definitely know if there were plans for what you are mentioning.  Again, Valpo having Hockey would be awesome, but not financially feasible unless other sports were cut, which won't happen anytime soon.
"Don't mess with Texas"

usc4valpo

funny troll, but it would really be great if it were a reality. This is no NCAA hockey team in the Chicagoland area, and as many know hockey is a very popular sport in this region!

USC has a hockey club and hockey has become very popular recently in the SoCal area.  There is discussion they may go NCAA in the future with other teams in the region.

covufan

Wow.  Since the explanation of who ml and ml2 are, not so much as a peep from Valpo_Hockey.  Was wondering when we would get some info from the athletic dept.

I would also like to see hockey at Valpo, but don't think it is realistic, nor financially feasible.  I think Valpo could build very good lacrosse teams for both men and women. 

StlVUFan

I kind of fell for it myself.  There's just one problem:  I have zero interest in College Hockey ;)  (which means I only fell for it a tiny bit).

wh

As someone who played hockey as a kid and as a longtime Blackhawks fan, I fell for it because I wanted it to be true.  I was even picturing how good I was going to look in a Crusader jersey.  :)

valporun

Stl, College hockey is so difficult to get into because games only happen on weekends, and aren't really televised outside of the regions the teams play in. Sure, we get B1G Ten games around here, but the other teams playing you have to buy an overpriced season subscription, or try to find audio from the school. College hockey is a sport the NCAA can't sell well because ESPN won't cover it during the regular season, and other than in the playing regions, everyone else pays attention to the local NHL team that pays attention to hockey at all, and I live in the city that is the AHL affiliate to the Chicago Blackhawks.

StlVUFan

Actually, it's so hard to get into for me because I'm not really a hockey fan.  I am an unapologetic bandwagon Blackhawks fan right now because they win so much and compete for the Cup every year, but mostly because they actually major in Hockey rather than WWE.

But I'm not, strictly speaking, a Hockey fan.

wh

Does anyone think that Valpo Hockey just fell off a turnip truck and stumbled in here and decided to spoof us about a new hockey program?  Or, is he someone who knows enough about is to recognize that it's a topic that we would willingly bite on?  Does anyone really believe that highly articulate, self-professed longstanding Valpo fans and board members like Big Mo Smith Fan and Valpower, for example, just suddenly dropped off the face of the earth, or are they/he ever present among us?