• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Sorority house complex

Started by okinawatyphoon, February 14, 2015, 03:53:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

okinawatyphoon

Looks like VU will break ground in March on a new sorority house complex for the five national sororities on Union Street near the ARC. The six "townhouse style residences" will be complete in December. Afterwards, Scheele Hall will be renovated and opened to the general student population. This new complex will be great for that side of campus, which is quite run-down. :thumbsup:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/post-tribune/news/ct-ptb-valpo-sorority-house-st-0215-20150213-story.html

Valpo '10, Valpo Admission Network
US Air Force, Sigma Phi Epsilon

vu72

Saw that story as well.  I like the term "mansion", as it relates to the complexes appearance.  Not sure I quite understand how it will look. I originally thought of a row house type thing but this article says:

The complex, which will look like a mansion of sorts with two floors and an attic, will have a chapter room that can accommodate 80 people for activities, ceremonies and recruitment.

The 21,000-square-foot building will also have an half basement.

University representatives submitted plans to two city bodies last week, the Site Review Committee and the Utilities Board, and will likely start construction in spring.

The building will be west of the Athletics-Recreation Center in a series of empty lots designated as 805, 807, 809, 811, 813 and 813 Union.

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

agibson

This is basketball parking, currently?

truth219

If it's just west of the arc, that's going to be awful. The parking situation is currently garbage. Taking that parking away will be a huge mistake.

agibson

Does the new, second, garage get used much on game days?  I've not checked.

truth219

No one wants to walk 400 yards in the winter and on slippery surfaces. 

wh

I don't think anyone's using it or would even think to use it.  The lighting for the new sidewalk was never installed, so people would have to walk across a block-long open field (farther than most are accustomed to) in the dark. Also, without any lighting there is nothing that visually links the 2 structures. Lastly, I have never seen any signs informing people that additional parking is available at the garage on LaPorte, nor have any announcements been made or informational fliers handed out at the games, to my knowledge.           

crusader05

Ground breaking wouldn't happen until March at the earliest so Basketball Season would be open. From what I understand part of the construction will include lighting and finishing the path. It was also my understanding the sorority women would park in the parking structure on a regular basis.

I would think the walk from the parking structure to the ark will be no different than the walk from the parking lot by the union and mueller hall.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: crusader05 on February 14, 2015, 08:43:49 PMthe walk from the parking structure to the ark will be no different
except for all the rain ;)
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

vu72

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on February 15, 2015, 07:13:13 AM
Quote from: crusader05 on February 14, 2015, 08:43:49 PMthe walk from the parking structure to the ark will be no different
except for all the rain ;)

Well then, just enclose it, air condition/heat it, and put a moving sidewalk in it!   ;D
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

drewsaders11

We are worried about walking a few extra feet to a basketball game as opposed to sororities not having houses?  I wonder which would make the university more marketable...

okinawatyphoon

21,000 sq ft for 150 people seems quite small. I'll be interested to see the renderings of the complex.  ???

wh

Quote from: crusader05 on February 14, 2015, 08:43:49 PM
Ground breaking wouldn't happen until March at the earliest so Basketball Season would be open. From what I understand part of the construction will include lighting and finishing the path. It was also my understanding the sorority women would park in the parking structure on a regular basis.
I would think the walk from the parking structure to the ark will be no different than the walk from the parking lot by the union and mueller hall.

College students are no different than anyone else. They'll look for the closest available parking spot, which in this case is public parking on the streets closest to where they live - mainly Union, Brown and Monroe. In fact, as a parent I would tell my daughter the last thing I want you to do is park inside the garage at night with no activity in the area and walk 3 blocks to your sorority alone. That said, the net effect of not installing a parking area adjacent to the new complex will be the adjacent residential neighborhood will be jammed with parked cars owned by college students.  I can't imagine the City approving this project without incorporating adequate adjacent parking. It's no different than a builder seeking approval to build a multi-unit apartment building without a private parking lot to support it. It would never be approved.

Donjon VU07

Quote from: okinawatyphoon on February 16, 2015, 11:41:49 AM21,000 sq ft for 150 people seems quite small. I'll be interested to see the renderings of the complex.  ???

Hmm.  Provided the 21,000 square feet were all living space (but I'm not saying that's the case), it'd be about 280 sq ft per 2-person room.

Per Valpo's Res Life website, Brandt Hall rooms, which if I recall have the same dimensions as the other Freshman dorms, are approx. 11' x 13' (143 sq. ft.)

So provided the rooms aren't luxury suites, I think such a facility could house 150.

What I don't understand is the reference to six "townhouses," but then the reference to a single "building" in the remainder of the article.  Perhaps the building has a common area and six wings?
We'll see.

okinawatyphoon

Quote from: Donjon VU07 on February 16, 2015, 01:13:18 PM
Quote from: okinawatyphoon on February 16, 2015, 11:41:49 AM21,000 sq ft for 150 people seems quite small. I'll be interested to see the renderings of the complex.  ???

Hmm.  Provided the 21,000 square feet were all living space (but I'm not saying that's the case), it'd be about 280 sq ft per 2-person room.

Per Valpo's Res Life website, Brandt Hall rooms, which if I recall have the same dimensions as the other Freshman dorms, are approx. 11' x 13' (143 sq. ft.)

So provided the rooms aren't luxury suites, I think such a facility could house 150.

What I don't understand is the reference to six "townhouses," but then the reference to a single "building" in the remainder of the article.  Perhaps the building has a common area and six wings?
We'll see.

I guess I would compare it to the newest residence hall, Beacon Hall: 85,000 sq ft for 290 students. Granted, a lot of that building includes common spaces, but the sorority complex will also have a large chapter room.

I imagine that they will be 6 separate "houses" connected to each other, maybe on the first floors? It will be interesting to see the design.

valpotx

This is a good example from TCU's Greek portion of campus.  All fraternities are in one long building with their portions separated by walls on the inside, and then the sororities have the same setup a few hundred yards away.

"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

Quote from: valpotx on February 16, 2015, 01:35:41 PM
This is a good example from TCU's Greek portion of campus.  All fraternities are in one long building with their portions separated by walls on the inside, and then the sororities have the same setup a few hundred yards away.

Sure hope ours looks a lot better than that!

crusader05

There will be one long building but there will be nothing shared other than entrances. So the building will be connected but have three sections that each house two orgs.  So two groups will enter in one part, two more another etc.  There is no shared common space but each group will have their own kitchen and chapter room, plus a smaller study area.  The rooms vary from singles to quads and will have basement space as well (this part may be shared through the whole facility). 

I believe it was just cheaper in regards to installation to build them adjacent rather than building 3 separate structures.

LaPorteAveApostle

and all this time I thought a sorority house complex was what i developed from getting shot down by girls in undergrad
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

Vale O. Paradise

Renderings released for sorority houses:

http://www.thehagermangroup.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/2-27-15-Press-Release-Valparaiso-University-Sorority-Housing.pdf

Collegiate Gothic aesthetic seen in Beacon Hall carries through to these. Slightly offset facade into three "separate" buildings helps break up what otherwise could have been a long, monotonous front.

vu72

Quote from: Vale O. Paradise on March 03, 2015, 03:28:09 PM

http://www.thehagermangroup.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/2-27-15-Press-Release-Valparaiso-University-Sorority-Housing.pdf

Collegiate Gothic aesthetic seen in Beacon Hall carries through to these. Slightly offset facade into three "separate" buildings helps break up what otherwise could have been a long, monotonous front.

Sounds like they will have "house mothers".  Interesting.

a3uge

Quote from: vu72 on March 03, 2015, 04:38:15 PM
Quote from: Vale O. Paradise on March 03, 2015, 03:28:09 PM

Sounds like they will have "house mothers".  Interesting.

Where do I apply?

okinawatyphoon

Nice find, Vale O. I'm pleasantly surprised by the design, but we still could have done better. It's still a huge step forward for Valpo Greek Life and will help revitalize that part of campus.  :thumbsup:

VULB#62

I like the swing to the collegiate Gothic style.  Hope more of the new and rennovated housing will be in that style.  144 beds /6 sororities = 24 sisters per sorority. Is that all these sororities have for membership?  Back in the day, Phi Delt housed, between the main house (606 Brown) and the annex across the way, around 36 and fed an additional 6 or so who lived in nearby apartments.  During that time in Scheele, it seemed like a lot more sisters in the sororities than just 24.

frontrowfan

Mostly Soph and JR will live in the house...most sororities have about 40-50 members