• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Horizon League considering Detroit as tourney location?

Started by valpopal, May 05, 2015, 05:52:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oklahomamick

I was talking about the new guys (Oakland) being on the board (HL tourney) not the poster and our message board.  Basically how did Oakland get so influential so quick?
CRUSADERS!!!

VULB#62

Same question I asked a couple of posts ago and I am restating it here to emphasize Micks point

bbtds

Quote from: oklahomamick on February 03, 2016, 07:09:40 AM
I was talking about the new guys (Oakland) being on the board (HL tourney) not the poster and our message board.  Basically how did Oakland get so influential so quick?

Sorry, I hope you understand my confusion.

oklahomamick

I understand and no worries.  What I don't understand, is how LeCrone allows Oakland to influence him as so.  Next the HL offices will move to Detroit. 
CRUSADERS!!!

a3uge

Quote from: oklahomamick on February 03, 2016, 10:26:28 AM
I understand and no worries.  What I don't understand, is how LeCrone allows Oakland to influence him as so.  Next the HL offices will move to Detroit.
I doubt LeCrone wants to move to Detroit. The Horizon League heir apparent, Julie Lach is also in Indy. Doesn't really make sense to pick up and move to Detroit because a tournament is played once a year in that location.

talksalot

HL Standings with tie-breaker scenarios through games Thursday 2/4

1 Valparaiso 9-1 
2 Oakland 8-3   - holds the tie-breaker
2 Wright State 8-3 - play again Monday 2/15
4 Milwaukee 6-4  - holds the tie-breaker
4 Green Bay 6-4  - play again Monday 2/15
6 Detroit 5-6
7 Youngstown State 4-7  - play again 2/27
7 Northern Kentucky 4-7 - Holds the tie-breaker
9 Cleveland State 2-9  ... other conference win was over NorKy
10  Illinois-Chicago 1-9  ... already played CSU twice and split.

VUGrad1314

Some fan speculation about moving the HL tournament to Cincinnati, if they continue to use a neutral site. I like that move a great deal for them. Cincinnati is a burgeoning hoops market, and it would enhance the image of the league in that area. What's more, two of the league's more successful teams that also lead the league in average  attendance at 4000+, reside within easy driving distance of the city and have demonstrated an ability to do well in the conference tournament. This would ensure that the games are well-attended throughout the tournament. The main question I have is exactly which venue would\could they use?

http://horizonleaguefans.freeforums.net/thread/1102/motor-city-madness?page=2

oklahomamick

That's a good move for the HL.  Hope they choose a facility that's not too large.  Still think they should keep it on campus.
CRUSADERS!!!

vu72

Quote from: oklahomamick on August 01, 2018, 11:00:09 AM
That's a good move for the HL.  Hope they choose a facility that's not too large. Still think they should keep it on campus.

Cintas Center seats 10,250.  It could work well if they rope off the upper deck.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VUGrad1314

Would NCAA rules allow the use of the Cintas Center which is owned by Xavier University  for this tournament since they aren't a member of the Horizon League?

VUGrad1314

Quote from: oklahomamick on August 01, 2018, 11:00:09 AMThat's a good move for the HL.  Hope they choose a facility that's not too large.  Still think they should keep it on campus.
Quote from: oklahomamick on August 01, 2018, 11:00:09 AMThat's a good move for the HL.  Hope they choose a facility that's not too large.  Still think they should keep it on campus.

I agree, if they could find a good spot. It would also provide a powerful incentive for Wright State and NKU--two schools that I think could possibly be of interest to the MVC one day--to stay put like the Dakotas in the Summit League or Belmont in the OVC.

EddieCabot

talksalot

"Opportunities to host future Horizon League Men's and Women's Basketball Championships will be open to all of our member schools, and their surrounding communities, including Detroit. We are open to collaborative bids from a variety of partners," continued LeCrone."

---which I guess means the "Top Seed Won't Host" is a given for them...

VULB#62

............. unless they lucked into the championship venue bid on the year they won the league. ::)

bbtds

Honestly the Indiana Farmers Coliseum at the State Fair grounds is not a terrible venue. I bet LeCrone wants to stay at home and holds his tournament in Indy. IUPUI probably won't have good crowds as usual and won't be in the running for the championship.

valpo64

VUGrad1314

Here's a thought that has been in my head for awhile:

If the HL wants to "be like the big boys" and keep its neutral site tournament why not try alternating sites? If they add RMU as rumored they can alternate between Pittsburgh and Milwaukee two sites that don't usually host tournaments but are fun cities. They can alternate one year east one year west. If they desire they can keep other sites in rotation in years those cities aren't hosting other major tournaments. I think they should go back to campus sites. I liked that about the old league, but if they want to keep a neutral site tournament this may be a workable solution.

VUGrad1314

It's all chalk in the final Motor City Madness as Drew McDonald's pick and pop 3 pointer propels NKU past a tough up and coming Oakland squad 64-63. This was a great game full of runs and showed that Oakland's future is really bright. I didn't think they had it in them to come back after blowing that huge lead and finding themselves down double digits themselves. They showed a lot of character. NKU vs Wright State tomorrow is going to be amazing. My money's on Wright State. It's also very clear that the HL is getting better.

I also think expansion is coming soon. PFW and RMU most likely. SL Commissioner Douple's comments were telling. He stopped just short of talking about them in the past tense in a recent interview. I think UMKC and Augustana will be joining the SL soon. WIU is another flight risk for the OVC if and when the MVC finally adds Murray State. The MVC may target an HL team as #12 though I think Belmont could be a distinct possibility if they miss the tournament.

bbtds

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on March 11, 2019, 11:31:54 PM
It's all chalk in the final Motor City Madness as Drew McDonald's pick and pop 3 pointer propels NKU past a tough up and coming Oakland squad 64-63. This was a great game full of runs and showed that Oakland's future is really bright. I didn't think they had it in them to come back after blowing that huge lead and finding themselves down double digits themselves. They showed a lot of character. NKU vs Wright State tomorrow is going to be amazing. My money's on Wright State. It's also very clear that the HL is getting better.

I also think expansion is coming soon. PFW and RMU most likely. SL Commissioner Douple's comments were telling. He stopped just short of talking about them in the past tense in a recent interview. I think UMKC and Augustana will be joining the SL soon. WIU is another flight risk for the OVC if and when the MVC finally adds Murray State. The MVC may target an HL team as #12 though I think Belmont could be a distinct possibility if they miss the tournament.

Yes, but you can't discount the fact that Oakland had no tournament wins in the time that the HL championship was held in Detroit. They actually may not have won any tourney games outside of the O'Rena on a "so-called" neutral floor. Kampe should have done better than that.

VUGrad1314

No argument here. It's not a good look when you can't win "neutral floor" games in your own backyard. We'll see if IUPUI does any better though I'm sure they'll be fine as that's not a neutral floor. What's even more perplexing about OU\UDM's inability to win on that floor is that they even got warmup games against UM\MSU some years.