• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting: 2017

Started by covufan, May 11, 2015, 03:28:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vufan75

Great news for Valpo and Parker Hazen. I would guess he is the first 4 star Valpo recruit in a long time. Hope he can step in and fill AP's shoes given the opportunity. Great get for the staff and Coach Lottich. Could it be the new Valpo AC and former NKU assistant with strong connections in Indiana helped get the deal done?

Also, wonder if the Nana Akenten commit is accurate. Verbal Commits says we offered him but that is it. And per social media on Verbal Commits Nebraska is still all over him as of a day ago. Hope he chooses or has chosen Valpo. His stock is definitely rising...

bbtds

bbtds

Class of 2017 four-star forward Parker Hazen has committed to Valparaiso University, according to a tweet from Jeff Goodman of ESPN.

As Goodman mentions, Hazen's brother, Brachen, has committed to play at Arkansas this upcoming season. (There's also a town called Hazen, Arkansas, which is fantastically confusing, I'm sure.)

Parker Hazen though had three scholarship offers, from Ball State, IUPUI, and Valparaiso, before deciding on the Crusaders ahead of senior year of basketball at Columbia City High School in Columbia City, Indiana.

Valpo already has a commit for 2017 in two-star forward Nana Akenten, from Bolingbrook, Illinois. Coming in as a four-star recruit (as ranked by ESPN), keeping a player with the skill set and size (6-7) of Hazen within the state and away from the traditional powerhouses seems like a coup for Valpo.

Former head coach Bryce Drew was legend in Valparaiso, Indiana, having nailed the buzzer-beater in the NCAA Tournament that put the school on the map for all intents and purposes. But having left to take over the head coaching job at Vanderbilt, former assistant coach Matt Lottich inherits the program. The program is yet to win a championship of any kind for a coach not with the surname of Drew. (Bryce's dad, Homer, was the first member of the family to start the Valpo dominance.)

Coming off a loss in the 2016 NIT Championship Game, the Crusaders have won the Horizon League in both 2013 and 2015, establishing themselves as a dangerous Cinderella team that no higher-seeded club wants to see on their opening weekend in the NCAA Tournament. Despite their status as a small school, Valpo has sent five players to the NBA, a lineage Hazen is hoping to follow.

http://www.todaysu.com/u-news/class-2017-four-star-sf-parker-hazen-commits-valparaiso/

bbtds

Watch this schedule as Columbia City fills out their upcoming season and maybe the Columbia City Eagles and Parker Hazen will be coming to a high school near you.  In truth I guess it's not real far from Valpo.

http://indianahsbasketball.homestead.com/files/boyslogs54.htm

Chris Benedict left Columbia City after last season moving on to Bluffton after not getting the AD job at CCHS. The new coach is Brett Eberly. Eberly has one year head coaching experience at Caston HS in 2006-07 when Caston went 4-17.

(from a story when Eberly was hired by Caston in 2006) Although young, Eberly, who graduated from Huntington University in 2000 where he studied physical education and health, brings six years of coaching experience to Caston. After working four years as the freshman and JV head coach at Columbia City High School, Eberly was promoted to assistant coach of the varsity Eagles — a role he has filled the past two seasons. In 2003, Columbia City tallied a 16-7 record and last season it posted an impressive 25-4 record en route to a semistate championship behind Lawrence North.

Since then Eberly has been an assistant under Benedict and other coaches at Columbia City

http://www.news-sentinel.com/sports/high-school-basketball/Columbia-City-turns-to-longtime-assistant-to-lead-boys-hoops-program

Pgmado

Quote from: bbtds on July 10, 2016, 10:12:54 PM
Watch this schedule as Columbia City fills out their upcoming season and maybe the Columbia City Eagles and Parker Hazen will be coming to a high school near you.  In truth I guess it's not real far from Valpo.

http://indianahsbasketball.homestead.com/files/boyslogs54.htm

Chris Benedict left Columbia City after last season moving on to Bluffton after not getting the AD job at CCHS. The new coach is Brett Eberly. Eberly has one year coaching experience at Caston HS in 2006-07 when Caston went 4-17.

(from a story when Eberly was hired by Caston in 2006) Although young, Eberly, who graduated from Huntington University in 2000 where he studied physical education and health, brings six years of coaching experience to Caston. After working four years as the freshman and JV head coach at Columbia City High School, Eberly was promoted to assistant coach of the varsity Eagles — a role he has filled the past two seasons. In 2003, Columbia City tallied a 16-7 record and last season it posted an impressive 25-4 record en route to a semistate championship behind Lawrence North.

Since then Eberly has been an assistant under Benedict and other coaches at Columbia City

http://www.news-sentinel.com/sports/high-school-basketball/Columbia-City-turns-to-longtime-assistant-to-lead-boys-hoops-program

Chris Benedict coached at Valpo High for a year or two last decade. He took over for Punter I believe. He didn't last very long as I think he wanted to go back to Columbia City.

nkvu

This is great as far as it goes. But verbals have a way of disappearing when the big boys come calling and if he is truely a 4 star they will. Anybody remember John Diebler?  I'll start celebrating when the letter of intent is signed next spring.

humbleopinion

Quote from: nkvu on July 11, 2016, 12:05:34 AMI'll start celebrating when the letter of intent is signed next spring.

I thought there was a signing period in the fall...
Beamin' Beacons

nkvu

Quote from: humbleopinion on July 11, 2016, 05:30:40 AM
Quote from: nkvu on July 11, 2016, 12:05:34 AMI'll start celebrating when the letter of intent is signed next spring.

I thought there was a signing period in the fall...

Then hopefully I can start celebrating a lot sooner.  :thumbsup:

FWalum

Now perhaps the hard part begins... keeping him engaged with the program and committed!
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

valpotx

This would be a fantastic get, and it might be that Parker sees the importance of playing time during his FR year, similar to what AP got.  We sold AP on being Rowdy's immediate replacement, and I have to think that is how Lottich sold Parker, on being AP's replacement. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpo64

You might remember that Alec P signed in the Fall early signing period

valpofan11

According to his Twitter, Akenten has not committed to any school, while he just received an offer from Bradley.

VU2014

This new coaching staff is getting it done!!!! Parker Hazen!!! This is a game changer recruit!!!! Amazing!!!

bbtds

Quote from: nkvu on July 11, 2016, 12:05:34 AM
This is great as far as it goes. But verbals have a way of disappearing when the big boys come calling and if he is truely a 4 star they will. Anybody remember John Diebler?  I'll start celebrating when the letter of intent is signed next spring.

Parker Hazen highlights:

http://www.hudl.com/video/3/4862245/5721de119a91677e74b1946a

http://www.hudl.com/video/3/4862245/5721de0ab019261f80e22d2b

http://www.hudl.com/video/3/4862245/5721dd8719a53e2a18805f27

http://www.hudl.com/video/3/4862245/5721dbf7e984d413d425fc8d

http://www.hudl.com/video/3/4862245/5721dca54df6124b702b72e0 (against Duneland Conference member Lake Central)

vu72

Love the kids quickness and toughness.  Don't expect him to be playing much 5 in college!  He certainly can post-up however.  Indy Star has him ranked #15 in his class which must be really loaded.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

vufan75

vufan75

@MichaelOsipoff reported this for those not on twitter. Sounds pretty solid as commitment. Now as FWALUM said earlier fend off the wolves and sign NLI in November (hoping)....

#Valparaiso commit Parker Hazen expected to commit before hs season, but not this soon. "I fell in love with Valpo. No need to wait."

VULB#62

Hey, what's not to love. :thumbsup:

justducky

Quote from: vu72 on July 11, 2016, 08:17:04 PMLove the kids quickness and toughness.  Don't expect him to be playing much 5 in college!  He certainly can post-up however.
Looks like a good talent and a good kid. However in all those highlights I didn't see any jump shots. Does he have one and if so then what is his range? Will his outside shooting be a project?

vu72

Quote from: justducky on July 11, 2016, 11:31:22 PM
Quote from: vu72 on July 11, 2016, 08:17:04 PMLove the kids quickness and toughness.  Don't expect him to be playing much 5 in college!  He certainly can post-up however.
Looks like a good talent and a good kid. However in all those highlights I didn't see any jump shots. Does he have one and if so then what is his range? Will his outside shooting be a project?
[/b]

Apparently Parker agrees and will be working on it.  This, from the Osipoff article:

Hazen currently views himself as more of a stretch-four forward with a desire to become a more traditional three.

After playing with his Spiece Indy Heat travel team this week in Grand Rapids, Mich., and Fort Wayne next week, he plans to work with a trainer to focus on his skill development, including ball-handling, perimeter shooting and a pull-up jumper.

Valparaiso has four seniors in Peters, Jubril Adekoya, Shane Hammink and Nick Davidson. The Crusaders also have a scholarship available for as soon as this season, with Keith Carter's final appeal to the NCAA for a fifth year of eligibility having been denied late last week.

Hazen can sign his national letter of intent Nov. 9, the first day of the early period.

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

wh

Good NWI Times story:

Columbia City standout Hazen commits to Valparaiso
Times Staff Updated 12 hrs ago 

Whether Parker Hazen is a three-star or four-star recruit, the Columbia City product is certainly one of the highest profile recruits to commit to Valparaiso in recent memory.

The 6-foot-7 senior forward gave his verbal commitment to Valparaiso coach Matt Lottich over the weekend at the Peach Jam AAU tournament in South Carolina.

Hazen is rated as a four-star recruit according to VerbalCommits.com, while ESPN has him listed as three-star recruit and one of the top 50 small forwards in the country.

"Honestly I've never paid any attention to any of those rankings," Hazen said. "I know it's cliche, but look at Steph Curry and Davidson. Those rankings don't matter. It's the work that you put in that's going to count. I'm ready to put in work and go to Valparaiso and win championships."

Hazen and his family have been long familiar with Valparaiso. Former head coach Bryce Drew recruited Hazen's brother Brachen heavily before he ultimately settled on Arkansas. Hazen has had a longtime connection with Valparaiso assistant coach Luke Gore and spoke highly of Valparaiso's coaching staff when it came time to make his decision. Hazen also has had his eye on Valparaiso's roster and knows of a certain player that will be graduating after this season.

"The opportunity will be there to come in and make a difference right away," Hazen said. "Alec Peters is graduating and there isn't anyone there at my position. I know that I can come in right away and make an impact."

His words almost echo those that were spoken by Peters nearly four years ago when the now senior forward committed to Valparaiso as Ryan Broekhoff was finishing his career. While Hazen's goal of replacing Peters may seem lofty, he certainly understands the work that will go into making that dream a reality.

"Valpo is going to get a guy that from Day 1 is going to outwork every single player in the gym," Hazen said. "There are things to work on. My shooting and my ball-handling are the two things that I really want to improve on before I get to Valpo and I'll be working on that until I get there."

Hazen averaged 15.8 points and 6.6 rebounds for Columbia City this past season on a team that had 11 seniors. The Eagled went 20-7 last season and were coached by former Valparaiso High School coach Chris Benedict.

Hazen is expected to fill one of Valparaiso's four open scholarships following the 2016-17 season. Valparaiso currently has one open scholarship following the news from the NCAA that Keith Carter's final appeal was denied for a fifth season of eligibility. Carter's career comes to an end after 83 games. Lottich could choose to use the scholarship before the season begins or he could hold onto the scholarship with the possibility of picking up a midseason transfer.

valpopal

Got to like the name of the new 3.5-star recruit Valpo has offered: Goanar Mar

valpopal

Anybody else notice that as soon as Parker Hazen verbally committed to Valpo, ESPN dropped his rating from 4-stars to 3-stars according to his page at Verbal Commits? Curious to know what else has changed in the last 24 hours.

M

I saw that rating change on verbal as well. Odd to say the least.

Pgmado

Quote from: valpopal on July 12, 2016, 03:35:53 PM
Anybody else notice that as soon as Parker Hazen verbally committed to Valpo, ESPN dropped his rating from 4-stars to 3-stars according to his page at Verbal Commits? Curious to know what else has changed in the last 24 hours.

Hazen did not play well at the Peach Jam. He's on a loaded AAU team so playing time is tough to come by. My guess is he was reevaluated based on that performance, nothing to do with Valpo commit.