• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

USA - Women's World Cup Champions

Started by VULB#62, July 05, 2015, 08:50:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

Incredible destruction of Japan in the the final.  The mark of a good program is peaking at the right time. This team of tremendous women athletes built on each game to peak at the 16 minute mark of the final with their 4th unanswered goal.  What a run!

I know there have been many issues with Title IX, some of which I deplore.  But had it not been for that piece of legislation, winning WC-2015 would not have ever occurred. And I would submit that Title IX drove the rest of the world into keeping up.

And with out it, we, as a forum, would never have the pleasure of knowledgeably discussing not only our VU male sports teams but also all the Valpo women's sports.  And I really get excited for these young women. Maybe it's because I have a daughter and three grand daughters, but it's so great to see these women excel athletically in front of 53,000+ people in Vancouver and millions across the world.

a3uge

Quote from: VULB#62 on July 05, 2015, 08:50:30 PM
Incredible destruction of Japan in the the final.  The mark of a good program is peaking at the right time. This team of tremendous women athletes built on each game to peak at the 16 minute mark of the final with their 4th unanswered goal.  What a run!

I know there have been many issues with Title IX, some of which I deplore.  But had it not been for that piece of legislation, winning WC-2015 would not have ever occurred. And I would submit that Title IX drove the rest of the world into keeping up.

And with out it, we, as a forum, would never have the pleasure of knowledgeably discussing not only our VU male sports teams but also all the Valpo women's sports.  And I really get excited for these young women. Maybe it's because I have a daughter and three grand daughters, but it's so great to see these women excel athletically in front of 53,000+ people in Vancouver and millions across the world.

I don't really understand why the US wouldn't have won without Title IX. You also contradict yourself when you say Title IX made the rest of the world better, but is the reason why the US is because of Title IX? In 2007, what Brazilian legislation was responsible for beating us in the semi-finals?

Man, this country is just obsessed with turning everything into a hashtag'ed cause.

VULB#62

My point was that before Title IX, women's athletics were hardly on the athletic map in the US.  Way back then (not now) women struggled to find much support for any athletic endeavors (except for individual sports like gymnastics, tennis or swimming & diving). That turned with Title IX.  I can't do a simulation of what the WWC15 would have been like (or even if there would have been a WWC in 2015) had not the US enforced athletic equality for itself back in 1972.  When the greatest country in the world sets a standard, other countries compete to match that standard.  And so Brazil did beat the US in 2007.  But at the beginning of the 90's the US was unmatched in the world.  And that team was essentially the University of North Carolina and some UNC grads.  The feeder program for the WNT was those few D-I soccer programs that resulted from Title IX.   Europe and Asia (Peoples Republic of China actually) saw the trend and took different approaches to becoming more competitive with the US (China - state sponsored national feeder programs, Europe intensified club programs).  Brazil was just Brazil (what other South American country has a women's team of note?)  Title IX did what it was intended to do back then.  Today, that job is pretty much done and has been for some time. My real point was merely a tip of the hat to history acknowledging and celebrating that 43 years ago we as a nation did something pretty special and we  (and the world for that matter) are now continually reaping benefits from that decision.  You severely misunderstood me if you believe that my comment was a qualifying statement on the performance of our 2015 WNT.

valpotx

Look at the roster for the Mexican women's team at the World Cup.  Just about every player is Mexican-American, and played D-1 soccer in the US.
"Don't mess with Texas"

usc4valpo

Title IX has been a good thing but it has been way overdone.

agibson

Quote from: VULB#62 on July 06, 2015, 03:46:22 PM(or even if there would have been a WWC in 2015)

I wonder about this.  Is there an argument that the WWC wouldn't have existed if not for Title IX?

Or maybe we would have had it Sep Blatter style.  What was he arguing for?  Shorter shorts, tighter shirts?