• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting: 2018

Started by covufan, August 07, 2015, 11:17:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EddieCabot

Quote from: vu72 on September 19, 2017, 10:47:57 AM
Love this kid!  We haven't had a point guard with this size since Ali Berdiel.  Great wing span.  I'm guessing he discovered he is better than he thought originally and our membership in The Valley made us an attractive landing spot as he is from Missouri.

Looks like a great pickup! 

vufan75

I noticed Coach Lottich and Coach Gore followed Zeke on twitter over the weekend. Saw he transferred from SLU and went to TTech. Did not see he was on a visit to Valpo and apparently leaving TTech. Hope it works out for Valpo! Wonder as well about his eligibility status and if he would have to sit a year? #GoValpo #ValpointheValley

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

EddieCabot

Quote from: vufan75 on September 19, 2017, 11:41:25 AM
I noticed Coach Lottich and Coach Gore followed Zeke on twitter over the weekend. Saw he transferred from SLU and went to TTech. Did not see he was on a visit to Valpo and apparently leaving TTech. Hope it works out for Valpo! Wonder as well about his eligibility status and if he would have to sit a year? #GoValpo #ValpointheValley

I assume he would have to sit a year, but Valpo could always file for a hardship waiver (may depend on why he left Tenn Tech after just a few months).

vufan75

Article from TTU after transfer from SLU announced.
http://www.ttusports.com/sports/mbkb/2016-17/releases/20170503qc2bw0

vusupporter

He was due to sit out this year at TTU, so would assume he would have to sit out here.

VUBBFan

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there's no open scholarship for this year. Wouldn't that mean he'd have to be a walk-on or wait till next year. I'
m assuming he wants to transfer this year.

bbtds

We need to be very careful in handling this SLU transfer so that this student/athlete or Valpo doesn't get screwed over by SLU again.

FWalum

Quote"I chose to come to Tech because I have built a relationship with Coach [Steve] Payne and his staff that has similar qualities to that of my family, which I really respect and honor," Moore explained. "This is the right system for me to become the best ball player, as well as the best man, I can be.

"The basketball program and I share visions and goals to become elite in the near future, and I want to be a big part of that. I expect to build Tech into a title contender in the OVC [Ohio Valley Conference] in the upcoming years and will do my best to make sure that happens."

This situation must be very strange, not sure we should want to be in the middle of things unless we really understand the recruit and the situation.  The article about his transfer to Tennessee Tech is still on the rotating news intro page for the basketball program, but his name is not on the roster page. Anybody have any idea what happened??? Some pretty strong statements to be making and then just leave. Has he been released by TTU? I am not sure how a double transfer like this would affect his eligibility.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

justducky

Quote from: FWalum on September 19, 2017, 12:54:41 PMThis situation must be very strange, not sure we should want to be in the middle of things unless we really understand the recruit and the situation. 

I ain't scared of nobody or nothing but something about this situation is making me very nervous.  :o.  Caution!  Caution!

vu72

He played for his father in high school so is "a coaches son".  Also, just looked at his Twitter account.  References to God.  Perhaps was uncomfortable with what he found at TTech and why he is considering Valpo.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VU2014

We currently are at max-scholarships for the 2017-2018 season so I don't know how it would all work. I believe the other school he is visiting Tulsa is at max-scholarships as well.

Maybe he walks-on? Also the school year has already begun & I believe we are passed the last day registration. Maybe he enrolls in the Spring Semester & declares as a walk-on for one semester with a promise for the last 2018 scholarship? I'd actually prefer we use the last 2018 scholarship on a PG rather then a SG to keep roster in a good position to land Alex Hemenway for the 2019 class and maybe the coaching staff can make in road with another high ceiling wing/forward like Quincy Guerrier. I also think we could use a PG with some size in the MVC and the coaching staff obviously thinks he'd be a good fit on/off court. He looks like a talented kid with some good handles for a player his size.

The late transfer does make me wonder what happened, but it all may have come down to fit. Once he decided to transfer from SLU he committed pretty quickly to TTU and may have chose where to attend a little too quickly before looking at all the options (arguably better options).

He really seemed to emphasize wanting to play for a winning program. Tennessee Tech hasn't exactly been great under its current HC. Never had a 20 win season and his W-L is below .500 in his seasons as a HC.

Side Note: Ironically Valpo offered a JUCO Guard with 1 year of eligibility left named Shaq Calhoun and he chose TTU over VU. I'm assuming because of playing time & because he originally committed TTU coming out of high school but then decommitted & went JUCO instead. He had a prior relationship with their staff.

This a pretty good article about his transfer: http://herald-citizen.com/stories/tech-inks-freshman-transfer-for-golden-eagles,20880
Tech inks Saint Louis University transfer
April 24, 2017
BY SCOTT WILSON
HERALD-CITIZEN Sports Staff

"Zeke is a big long guard. I will call him a combo, but I think he's going to play a lot of point guard at Tennessee Tech," said Payne. "He's the kind of guy that's going to be front and center in everything in the program from a leadership standpoint, from a quality of play standpoint.

"He's the type of guy that recruits other players, that you want players to be like him. Zeke has personality, energy and a lot of talent. I want him to have a great career here and win a lot of games because he could have gone a lot of places."

Moore will sit out the 2017-18 season and will have three years of eligibility.

"Tech came into the recruiting picture because coach Payne had called me, literally about two hours after my transfer release went public," said Moore. "He knew everything about me and I was in shock. (Really) I felt loved and off the jump I knew I had a good relationship with coach Payne. He would drive up and see me and that's when I knew I wanted to go to Tech, because of the love and support."

He signed to play basketball for coach Jim Crews out of high school, but Crews was replaced at St. Louis before the season by former Oklahoma State coach Travis Ford. Moore played in 29 games last season for the Billikens and averaged just over 5.0 points and 2.0 rebounds per game. He said he talked it over with his family at spring break and decided to transfer.

"Zeke is a 6-foot-7 point guard and he will be a point guard here from the first day," Payne said. "If we get in a pinch, we could play him at the two or the three. He's a good shooter, a good passer and he defends well. I think we're going to be excited he's here."

Payne said Moore's defense is so solid that he became a lockdown defender for the Billikens.

"I think my strength is shooting the ball. I hit 40 percent from 3 this year," Moore said. "I can get to the rim, but that's not my strength. I can get out in transition and finish above the rim. I like to make plays for others and want to get my teammates involved. (But) I have a lot to learn."

Moore said playing time at Tech never crossed his mind during the recruiting process. He said he liked the team when he had a chance to visit and liked the philosophy Payne has about basketball. "I just want to be part of a winning program," Moore said. Payne said next season will be crucial for Moore as he learns the Tech system and takes steps to develop his game.....

https://twitter.com/zeke_moore23/status/869253909579268102

VU2014

I wonder if the Valpo Coaching Staff is showing any interest in Tim Finke (4 star). His older brother plays at Illinois & use to play for the same AAU program that Peters did 'Illinois Irish', but this summer decided to play Meanstreets and was teammates with Javon Freeman-Liberty this summer.

He apparently had a rough summer of AAU ball with some trouble with the 3 ball but is still a good shooter and is still good player but "his stock is down". He has offers from "high major" programs like:
-Illinois (not in their "plan A")
-Vandy (may be out b/c Bryce/Roger landed a big 2018 verbal today)
-Notre Dame (not likely because of other 2018 commits)
-Ohio State
-Oregon

Apparently Loyola-Chicago is trying to swoop in last second and making a hard push to try and get a commitment from him while the high-majors may be losing some interest. He could possibly be an absolute steal. I wonder if the Valpo staff will make a push. He's listed as a shooting guard but he can also play SF and could play along Javon and would definitely benefit from Valpo's offensive ball movement.

Alec Peters AAU coach (Tim Finke's former AAU coach previous to this summer):
https://twitter.com/Illinois_Irish/status/910184868096724992
https://twitter.com/Illinois_Irish/status/910185291436249088
https://twitter.com/Illinois_Irish/status/910185569031983110
https://twitter.com/Illinois_Irish/status/910185983307640835
https://twitter.com/Illinois_Irish/status/910186935062319104
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1JNk5M-jyk

covufan

I'm not sure I quite understand Zeke Moore's situation.  Has there been any information coming from TTU?  Has he been released?

In March he decided to transfer from SLU, probably because of change of coaches from his original commitment.  Six weeks later he inks a deal with TTU.  Now, less than a full month into the fall semester, and only four months from signing with TTU, he has decided to transfer?

Playing 20 minutes a game at SLU as a freshman should translate well into the MVC.

VU2014

So seeing Javon in a few these Showcases did have me a little nervous because obviously other Coaches were going to be there to scout/recruit players and I was nervous other college coaches would try & talk him out of his commitment (it happens all the time unfortunately). Also don't want to see him get injured. I honestly think Javon is just a competitor and wants to play/compete.

This tweet really rubbed me the wrong way... (Nobody overreact and respond to this tweet & give it any attention on twitter)
https://twitter.com/REALPREPREPORTS/status/910213723616415744
It's Derek's showcase & he may be trying to get as many college coaches there as possible & having a Top 5-10 player in the State there will probably get more coaches to come. The way I read the tweet is him saying "hey come play in the showcase and try & get more offers from other coaches after you already verbally committed." If I'm interpreting it correctly it may (unintentionally or intentionally, I don't know) have been in poor taste.

Javon is very lucky to have role model in his life like his uncle who is actually looking out for his best interest. He tweeted this out after seeing that tweet.
https://twitter.com/Givemeliberty30/status/910233237674500096

vufan75

I cannot open this link or article as not a Rivals subscriber.  But the link has more info on Zeke Moore and his next visit to Tulsa.
Former St. Louis guard @zeke_moore23 will visit #TulsaMBB this weekend. Full story... ($) #ReignCane https://t.co/X5Cv9lpYuJ

M

I don't remember where the Grant Gelon talk was at but he has decided inn missouri state.

vufan75

Zeke Moore chooses Tulsa MBB over Valpo per twitter reports.

Let's get it! @TUMBasketball @FrankHaithTulsa https://t.co/33Zoq7g31r

VU2014

Dang... I have to think playing time is playing a role. We have 2 young PGs on the roster already. He seemed like he would have been a nice add.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VU2014 on September 24, 2017, 12:46:13 PM
Dang... I have to think playing time is playing a role. We have 2 young PGs on the roster already. He seemed like he would have been a nice add.

Scholarship availability strikes me as the biggest hurdle to have cleared...

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on September 24, 2017, 01:07:51 PM
Quote from: VU2014 on September 24, 2017, 12:46:13 PM

Scholarship availability strikes me as the biggest hurdle to have cleared...

Now I see he's a 2018 recruit?  What does he do for this school year?  Hadn't Tulsa also been at max scholarships too?

VU2014

Good point. But I believe Tulsa was full with 13 scholarships taken for the 2017-2018 & he'd be Red-Shirt this upcoming season anyways & I'm not sure he'd be able to enroll during the Fall Semester (at least at Valparaiso because I believe we are well past the registration date). Maybe its different at Tulsa but I believe he won't be enrolled in classes during the Fall semester either.

vufan75

A few more details regarding Zeke Moore selecting Tulsa
Apparently attending juco this year. Article says 3 years eligibility remaining. Not sure how that works. Also has known a coach on Tulsa staff for awhile. Oh well. We move on to another player or bank scholarship maybe?
Full story on @Zeke_Moore23's commitment to #TulsaMBB. #ReignCane https://t.co/TL685kzJoW

valpopal

Quote from: vufan75 on September 24, 2017, 03:17:04 PM
A few more details regarding Zeke Moore selecting Tulsa
Apparently attending juco this year. Article says 3 years eligibility remaining. Not sure how that works. Also has known a coach on Tulsa staff for awhile. Oh well. We move on to another player or bank scholarship maybe?
Full story on @Zeke_Moore23's commitment to #TulsaMBB. #ReignCane https://t.co/TL685kzJoW

According to Verbal Commits, Tulsa was also one of our competitors for 2018 3-star guard Israel Barnes. Perhaps this takes them out of the running for Barnes, leaving only Valpo, Weber State and UAB.

VU2014

I wonder if we are still serious contenders for another Shooting Guards in the 2018 class. Once Javon committed I'm not sure the priority is the SG position anymore for this class. Once Javon committed it seems the focus has been on landing another PG, Xavier Castaneda & Moore.

Maybe we bank the last scholarship and hold it for a mid-season transfer or for red-shirt next season. Try and position the roster to land Alex Hemenway or another 2019 recruit.

valpopal

Quote from: VU2014 on September 25, 2017, 04:27:14 PM
I wonder if we are still serious contenders for another Shooting Guards in the 2018 class. Once Javon committed I'm not sure the priority is the SG position anymore for this class. Once Javon committed it seems the focus has been on landing another PG, Xavier Castaneda & Moore.

Maybe we bank the last scholarship and hold it for a mid-season transfer or for red-shirt next season. Try and position the roster to land Alex Hemenway or another 2019 recruit.

Our interest in Israel Barnes should remain since he is a 3-star who can play shooting guard or point guard. In fact, his highlights video lists him as a PG and shows him playing that position.