• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

3D building coming down?

Started by historyman, August 20, 2015, 03:43:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

historyman

Pics of the 3D building from this afternoon 8/31/15.

EDIT--now it's telling me the attachment is too large. I will have to figure out another way to post them.

"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

a3uge

Quote from: historyman on August 31, 2015, 04:03:34 PM
Pics of the 3D building from this afternoon 8/31/15.

EDIT--now it's telling me the attachment is too large. I will have to figure out another way to post them.
imgur.com

elephtheria47

That area is going to look so nice without that hideous building. If they need help, I would be more than happy to help them tear it down!

historyman

"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

agibson

Quote from: elephtheria47 on August 31, 2015, 07:17:50 PM
That area is going to look so nice without that hideous building. If they need help, I would be more than happy to help them tear it down!

It may depend on what they replace it with, if anything! 

I hear that there were stories circulating a few weeks ago about bids being solicited, and having come back for the demolition.

I've not heard anything concrete about the future use of the space, short term or long term.  (Some dreams of a Trader Joe's, for example, but that sounds like pie in the sky.)

Demolition definitely underway, some of the facade down this morning. They have a big pile of new-looking wood, or maybe pallets.  Not entirely sure what that's for (is it somehow helpful in removing debris?).

historyman

wh

The 3-D building demolition project looks to be completed.  I never realized until now just how large that property is - it's HUGE!  It stretches an entire city block from N-S and at least half a block from E-W.  The back half where the building was is considerably wider than the front parking area along Lincolnway.  I have no idea what the long term plans are for that corner, but what a nice, usable piece of prime real estate it has become!

crusader05

Just rumors at this point but I'm hearing that they are looking into a high-end grocer to fill that spot. Having a Trader Joes or Marianos or Whole Foods there would be so great and the university students would LOVE it.

wh

vu72

Quote from: wh on September 21, 2015, 09:18:10 AM
Interesting you should mention that. Here's a related article from July:

Whole Foods breaks ground in Schererville, eyes Valpo

http://www.nwitimes.com/business/local/whole-foods-breaks-ground-in-schererville-eyes-valpo/article_ecbd3cc2-d7b6-5620-ab8a-76718d56827c.html?mobile_touch=true

Perhaps the fact that Whole Foods General Counsel is a Valpo Law grad may be helpful!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

covufan

Quote from: wh on September 21, 2015, 09:18:10 AM
Interesting you should mention that. Here's a related article from July:

Whole Foods breaks ground in Schererville, eyes Valpo

http://www.nwitimes.com/business/local/whole-foods-breaks-ground-in-schererville-eyes-valpo/article_ecbd3cc2-d7b6-5620-ab8a-76718d56827c.html?mobile_touch=true

July 2014.  Not so sure Whole Foods is looking to expand right now.  Aldi is more likely.

valpotx

Isn't there already an Aldi in Valpo?  Did that go away?
"Don't mess with Texas"

wh

Yes, Aldi's is in a prime location adjacent to Best Buy. In fact, they are currently in the process of completing a major renovation.

FWalum

Love Aldi, their branded items seem to be of higher quality than other store branded products.  Believe it or not, but my mom (good German that she is) bought a Medion laptop from Aldi back in 2007 and it is still running without any issues other than the battery is kaput. I was skeptical at first and was really surprised by the specs and build quality for the very low price.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

Kyle321n

The Aldi is Valpo is one of the best in the area and my wife and I shop at it almost exclusively. If there's something Aldi doesn't have we either don't need it or will run over to Strack's and get it.

Putting a Whole Foods across the street from the University isn't a bad idea, and may be a draw to incoming students from affluent families, but I'm not sure how much a college student would be able to afford it.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

usc4valpo

all I can say - just say no to Walmart!

Kyle321n

There's already the Walmart on Rt 30 that is walking distance from campus. At least I considered it walking distance when I was in school. But I would also walk all the way to Target.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

agibson

Quote from: Kyle321n on September 24, 2015, 08:32:41 AM
There's already the Walmart on Rt 30 that is walking distance from campus. At least I considered it walking distance when I was in school. But I would also walk all the way to Target.

These days I think the sidewalks to Target are in pretty good shape.  Students seem to do very badly at crossing the round-about (and/or drivers do very badly with pedestrians at the roundabout).

I don't guess there's much by way of sidewalks on the way to Walmart.  I walked there a few times myself, if memory serves, as a freshman.  I think I've been back maybe only once since returning to Valpo (I guess it might still be one of the better 24 hour options?).

talksalot

the Free (to students) V-Line bus service from the union to both WalMart, Target (and other shopping destinations) are usually quite busy!

bbtds

Quote from: FWalum on September 23, 2015, 07:36:05 AM
Love Aldi, their branded items seem to be of higher quality than other store branded products.  Believe it or not, but my mom (good German that she is) bought a Medion laptop from Aldi back in 2007 and it is still running without any issues other than the battery is kaput. I was skeptical at first and was really surprised by the specs and build quality for the very low price.

Aldi, a prominent German company, better watch out. Another German company that gebauen Das Auto mit diesel motor was caught betrügt EPA tests.

agibson

A couple of quick updates, for the out-of-towners, on this part of the neighborhood. Stilly only rumors circulating for the 3D property itself - we'll see what develops.

The property on the SW corner of Roosevelt and and Lincolnway (across from the used car dealer in one direction, and the Horizon Bank in the other) got an attractive renovation and is now a realty office. It had sat vacant, for sale, for a good while and was the subject of some discussion on this board.

More recently, the university's been tearing down several adjacent properties. Just south of that new realty office, and southwest, and I think also due west. Not sure what the plans are for the property. This is just to the west of the Uptown East apartments/student housing and just to the east of the old hospital parking garage and surface parking lot. It feels like it might be just that realty office left on the block, by the time they're done with all the demolition.

Construction on the new science building seems to be proceeding apace, with the girders now a fairly impressive vertical piece of the campus landscape.

crusader05

They've also torn down, on campus the apartments between the VUPD and the old Theta Chi house and that should be where Sigma Chi builds their new chapter facility.

valpo64

Am I correct in thinking that the new Phi Psi house will be where the VUPD bldg is now?

crusader05

That's what I believe as well. I believe VUPD is moving to a building on the east side of campus near the parking garage but I'm not sure. Sig ep is also looking into buying property off of union street where the grass field currently is so we will finally have a pretty solid greek row going with Phi sig on their corner and Sig Tau and Theta Chi retaining control of their old houses.