• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2015 Enrollment

Started by 78crusader, October 01, 2015, 04:12:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

78crusader

Does anyone know the freshmen class enrollment for this fall?  Usually the university puts out a press release on this, but I haven't seen anything other than 977 "new students" enrolled in August -- but this includes transfers etc.  Last year the freshmen class enrollment fell by 150 kids, which wouldn't be a big deal at Ohio State but it IS a big deal at VU.  If freshmen enrollment dropped again this year, I think that is cause for alarm.  The fact that VU hasn't said what the freshmen class size is this year seems to indicate to me that it dropped -- again. 

The overall enrollment for VU has increased over the past 6-8 years, but much of that has been fueled by large increases in transfers and grad students.  If anyone on this board works at VU, perhaps you have been told the freshmen class number for this year and could share it with us.

I've given up hope that VU can be a true Lutheran school anymore since only around 25% of its students are Lutherans (there are more Catholics on campus than Lutherans), and VU is in poor standing with the LCMS, but that is a topic for a different day.

Paul

vu72

At Homecoming President Heckler said that the total enrollment was the largest in 40 years but didn't give specifics on the freshman class.  He said that the student body was made up of 26% Lutheran and 25% Catholic and many other Christian and non-Christians kids.  He mentioned at several points in his speech, which was reiterated at the Chapel addition dedication, that Valpo's Lutheran traditon was a big deal and will be maintained.

I suspect that you are an LCMS member.  Clearly, given the LCMS's attitude toward Valpo (yet another professor has been kicked out--President Harre was put on trial) that Valpo has moved toward the ELCA.  The majority of the Board are now ELCA members as is the Dean of the Chapel (he has a different title but has the same job).  One of the University Pastors is from the LCMS and the other from the ELCA.

You must be aware of the decline in the number of Lutheran students coming up through the ranks. Even at a school like Concordia River Forest, which once was strictly a Lutheran Teacher's College, now have 22% Lutheran students and 21% Catholics. 

Survival and growth is the goal while never abandoning the Lutheran tradition.  Endowment is a critical element of survival.  Valpo's is at about 205 million while an LCMS school like Concordia has much less and has twice as many graduate students as undergrad.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

78crusader

I did not know Concordia-River Forest was down to 22% Lutheran.  That is startling.

VU's website says 36% Catholics, but maybe that's a typo but in any event not worth quibbling over.

My main disagreement with Heckler is that rather than emphasize the school's Christian character (which I have pointed out many times is working quite well at Taylor and Wheaton), he chose to go the international student route as a way to increase enrollment.  In my view this dilutes the Christian character of our school (go to the daily morning Chapel service and see how many kids attend -- it is shockingly low) and makes it less likely that we will attract the kids who have traditionally chosen VU.  Maybe that trend is already showing up at VU. The fact that VU has not announced the number of freshmen who enrolled this fall is a troubling sign.   

You are right, I am absolutely an LCMS member and I don't like it when LCMS pastors tell me that VU is essentially "dead to the LCMS."  A far cry from where we used to be. 

Paul

valporun

I thought the Dean of the Chapel, according to University bylaws, had to be from the LCMS? Did  this change? I think VU has been under fire from the LCMS since before myself and valpotx got to campus in 1999, but if enrollment is down, maybe a study in what all of the tuition monies are truly going towards should be studied a bit more thoroughly. I know there are faculty, staff, and administration salaries to pay in there, but what else are the students paying for that they could use some enlightenment about?

I remember that Chapel used to be at 11:15AM, but a few years ago, they moved it up to 10AM. Could that be an attendance factor?

vu72

Quote from: valporun on October 01, 2015, 05:28:41 PM
I thought the Dean of the Chapel, according to University bylaws, had to be from the LCMS? Did  this change? I think VU has been under fire from the LCMS since before myself and valpotx got to campus in 1999, but if enrollment is down, maybe a study in what all of the tuition monies are truly going towards should be studied a bit more thoroughly. I know there are faculty, staff, and administration salaries to pay in there, but what else are the students paying for that they could use some enlightenment about?

I remember that Chapel used to be at 11:15AM, but a few years ago, they moved it up to 10AM. Could that be an attendance factor?

Paul's concern is that the freshman enrollment is down. We don't know that yet.  The TOTAL enrollment is the largest in 40 years.  He is also right that daily chapel attendance is down as is Sunday worship.  What he didn't mention is that many students chose the Sunday night worship option.  The Candlelight Service is at 10pm.  Kids today worship in different ways.  Getting up on Sunday is no longer what it used to be.  Not necessarily bad, just different.

As for the Dean having to be an LCMS pastor, I doubt it.  Valpo has always had a close relationship with the LCMS but has NEVER been an LCMS school.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

vu72

Quote from: 78crusader on October 01, 2015, 05:25:17 PM
I did not know Concordia-River Forest was down to 22% Lutheran.  That is startling.

VU's website says 36% Catholics, but maybe that's a typo but in any event not worth quibbling over.

My main disagreement with Heckler is that rather than emphasize the school's Christian character (which I have pointed out many times is working quite well at Taylor and Wheaton), he chose to go the international student route as a way to increase enrollment.  In my view this dilutes the Christian character of our school (go to the daily morning Chapel service and see how many kids attend -- it is shockingly low) and makes it less likely that we will attract the kids who have traditionally chosen VU.  Maybe that trend is already showing up at VU. The fact that VU has not announced the number of freshmen who enrolled this fall is a troubling sign.   

You are right, I am absolutely an LCMS member and I don't like it when LCMS pastors tell me that VU is essentially "dead to the LCMS."  A far cry from where we used to be. 

Paul

Here are the facts from their website:

For the academic year 2015-2016

Total Enrollment: 5,238                           

Undergraduates: 1,509
Graduate students: 3,729
Undergraduate Facts

Home State

34 U.S. states, plus Puerto Rico, represented
About 24% of undergraduates are from states other than Illinois, with the Midwestern states of Indiana, Michigan, Missouri, Wisconsin and Minnesota—as well as Florida and California—heavily represented.
Students Living in Campus Housing

43% of traditional undergraduate students (74% of freshmen) live in residence halls on campus.
57% women
43% men
Ethnicity

56.8% White
27.2% Hispanic or Latino
9.2% Black or African-American
2.9% Asian
2.7% Multiracial
0.2% American Indian or Alaskan Native
0.2% Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander
0.8% Not reported
Religious Affiliation

22% Lutheran (LCMS)
21% Roman Catholic
33% Other Christian Faiths
5% Other Faiths
19% Unknown

This video may frak you out but it says a lot about the faith community at Valpo.  There is a sense of working together and not being afraid to enter into dialogue with those of other faiths.  This is a good thing in my opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rhLsPQFdC4&feature=youtu.be

govalpogo

I don't believe that the Dean position exists anymore.  Pastor Jim didn't want the title after Cunningham left and I believe made it a Co-Pastor position with his ELCA Counterpart.  It could have changed since my graduation, much has, but this was the case when I was on Chapel staff.  It  wouldn't surprise me if the Dean position was historically supposed to be LCMS because although the Chapel was never officially belonging to the denomination, there was a lot of funding that came from LCMS pockets.  I'm a United Methodist Pastor married to an LDA Deaconess who is still an official member of the LCMS church, so I'm non-partisan in the debate ;).  It was a fascinating place to study theology.

vu72

Quote from: govalpogo on October 01, 2015, 08:52:29 PM
I don't believe that the Dean position exists anymore.  Pastor Jim didn't want the title after Cunningham left and I believe made it a Co-Pastor position with his ELCA Counterpart.  It could have changed since my graduation, much has, but this was the case when I was on Chapel staff.  It  wouldn't surprise me if the Dean position was historically supposed to be LCMS because although the Chapel was never officially belonging to the denomination, there was a lot of funding that came from LCMS pockets.  I'm a United Methodist Pastor married to an LDA Deaconess who is still an official member of the LCMS church, so I'm non-partisan in the debate ;).  It was a fascinating place to study theology.

You are correct.  The role is now filled by Brian Johnson who oversees campus ministries.

http://www.valpo.edu/president/leadership/presidents-council/brian-johnson/

agibson

Quote from: vu72 on October 01, 2015, 09:13:58 PMYou are correct.  The role is now filled by Brian Johnson who oversees campus ministries.

http://www.valpo.edu/president/leadership/presidents-council/brian-johnson/

I think we're all agreeing here, but, just to be clear.  The Dean position no longer exists, Brian probably has some of what used to be the Dean's responsibilities, and others. Pastor Jim and Pastor Char share others of those responsibilities.

agibson

Quote from: 78crusader on October 01, 2015, 04:12:20 PMDoes anyone know the freshmen class enrollment for this fall? 

I think someone at the university probably knows officially by now (maybe as of mid-September?), but not me.

I don't have apples-to-apples yearly numbers (e.g. 2015 vs. 2014) even available to my eyes, and I never know what information's suitable for public consumption and what might not be.  Eventually these types of numbers get officially reported (to the Department of Education or similar?), but it's a slow process.  Even internally, the "official" census isn't until around September 7, and it takes a while to process, assemble, disseminate, etc.  Usually in the fall some numbers are distributed during beginning-of-the-academic-year type meetings, but I'm not sure how widely or quickly the "official" census numbers are distributed (I certainly don't have them in front of me for 2015).

So, all that said, it's hard for me to say anything definitively. In particular, I have some numbers from Aug 22 but I don't know what the usual attrition rate is between Aug 22 and September 7. 

I certainly don't see any cause for immediate alarm.  The transfer class does look maybe particularly robust.  Even last year's "disappointing" number of freshmen was still higher than the 2011 class.  It was just a significant step down from the historic 2013 numbers. (2015 looks smaller than 2013 or 2012 for freshmen; I'd need to have a better estimate of attrition in those first weeks to be comfortable making a comparison to 2011 or 2014.)

agibson

Re Lutherans and Catholics.  I didn't catch the numbers for this year's entering class.  There was a year or two recently where Roman Catholics outnumbered Lutherans among freshmen and/or new students. (We also had a year or two with a surprisingly large number of men, bucking national trends; strange things can happen with statistics). For the campus as a whole I'm sure the two populations are close.

historyman

Quote from: agibson on October 01, 2015, 10:31:40 PMFor the campus as a whole I'm sure the two populations are close.

One might say that if the two populations get any closer there might have to be some moral issues discussed.  ;)
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

agibson

Quote from: valporun on October 01, 2015, 05:28:41 PMI remember that Chapel used to be at 11:15AM, but a few years ago, they moved it up to 10AM. Could that be an attendance factor?

It's moved back and forth over the years.  I don't know that the move to 10:00 AM noticeably affected attendance. It does mean there's no time before chapel for a 2.5 hour lab period, which means my lab this semester conflicts with chapel.  Which isn't great, but...

I'm sure it wasn't the only motivation, but it seemed like a significant factor in the time change was that the cafeteria would apparently get _crushed_ during the 11:15 AM break.

I'm sure attendance is way down from the "old days".  But, there is a rather vibrant and robust morning prayer scene.  I'll take a rough head count next time I'm there (usually only Tuesdays this semester, alas), but getting 75 or even 50 students out for a daily worship service is nothing to sneeze at.

agibson

Quote from: vu72 on October 01, 2015, 05:47:12 PMAs for the Dean having to be an LCMS pastor, I doubt it.  Valpo has always had a close relationship with the LCMS but has NEVER been an LCMS school.

I have no idea if it was in the bylaws, but in practice the Dean always _was_ an LCMS pastor.  With ELCA pastors only coming on board in the last twenty years (last ten years?). 

Was _every_ president* before Heckler and ordained LCMS pastor?  Or just most of them?

Again, not that it was in the bylaws.

*Lutheran era.

usc4valpo

I thought Valpo was an affiliated LCMS school in the 70's and 80's.

That being said, if Valpo wants to grow and get top students, you need to be diverse, and I applauded Heckler in addressing that need while respecting its Lutheran heritage. My biggest concern is that we attract top students and the education provides outstanding graduates into the community. That will keep Valpo strong.

agibson

Quote from: usc4valpo on October 02, 2015, 06:33:37 AMI thought Valpo was an affiliated LCMS school in the 70's and 80's.

Nope. Always* (and mostly proudly?) independently Lutheran.  Obviously with strong roots in the LCMS, and then also with Seminex, and now increasingly also with the ELCA.  But still proudly independently Lutheran.

*Where here we're defining "always" as "since 1925".  Sorry jj!

crusader05

I haven't heard hard numbers but numbers seem to be above last year but below the year prior.   The one thing I have heard commented on often though is the strength of this class in regards to not just academics, but maturity and fit which many have attributed to better targeted admission practices. 

It is true that a larger majority of the increase in enrollment is looking to come from graduate students but, that it not surprising. To drastically increase undergraduate enrollment, with our residential requirement would put a huge strain on resources and ability to handle them.  The large class, 2 years ago, already showed some of that strain in certain offices which has led to new programs and hires occurring.  A slow, purposeful growth for undergraduates is probably the best way to do it to ensure stability. Graduate students don't require nearly as many of the services as law and undergrad while still bringing in tuition money.

Another new endowment was also just received which is designed to fund "emergency scholarships" to help students who have had some sort of major financial change that could affect their ability to stay at the university. I know this is of special concern to Heckler as I have heard him say in many speeches that he hates to hear the stories of students who love Valpo and are making an impact but need to transfer or withdraw because their family suffered something that led to an inability to financially help them.  The fund is being started with a donation from Andy Nunemaker and will hopefully be a great asset as it grows!

http://www.valpo.edu/news/2015/09/30/valparaiso-university-alumnus-to-establish-emergency-scholarship-fund/

agibson

Quote from: crusader05 on October 02, 2015, 11:43:38 AMThe fund is being started with a donation from Andy Nunemaker and will hopefully be a great asset as it grows!

Who I remembered as the the host of the pre-basketball VU alumni event in Milwaukee... last year? I wasn't there, but maybe some on the board were?  I do remember discussing the event, googling around, etc.  One of my freshmen from Milwaukee said he also hosted a prospective student event.

valpo64

Info:  Valpo and the LCMS have bumped heads since the 1950s and 1960s....so what's new?

agibson

Quote from: valpo64 on October 02, 2015, 12:57:26 PM
Info:  Valpo and the LCMS have bumped heads since the 1950s and 1960s....so what's new?

I've been lately wondering about the history here.  Any anecdotes from the 50's and 60's you care to share?

OP seems like the sort of guy who _could_ have been at odds with St. Louis, or some elements of the LCMS, but my own mental image of such things doesn't go back before Seminex, really.  And even there, I know more about the involvement of people involved with Seminex who _later_ came to VU.  I don't know much of what was going on at VU itself during Seminex.

I got the sense in the 90's, clearly, that the Concordias (and St. Louis, Ft. Wayne) were the orthodox LCMS places to send your students. With the Concordias not all viewed equally either, I'm sure.  And that Valpo was seen, to a varying extent, as a fringe option.  But, I'm definitely curious how long that's been the case.  Since the 70's? the 60's? the 50's? the 30's?

vu72

Quote from: agibson on October 02, 2015, 02:33:41 PM
Quote from: valpo64 on October 02, 2015, 12:57:26 PM

I've been lately wondering about the history here.  Any anecdotes from the 50's and 60's you care to share?

OP seems like the sort of guy who _could_ have been at odds with St. Louis, or some elements of the LCMS, but my own mental image of such things doesn't go back before Seminex, really.  And even there, I know more about the involvement of people involved with Seminex who _later_ came to VU.  I don't know much of what was going on at VU itself during Seminex.

I got the sense in the 90's, clearly, that the Concordias (and St. Louis, Ft. Wayne) were the orthodox LCMS places to send your students. With the Concordias not all viewed equally either, I'm sure.  And that Valpo was seen, to a varying extent, as a fringe option.  But, I'm definitely curious how long that's been the case.  Since the 70's? the 60's? the 50's? the 30's?

Just looked at Dr. Baepler's book "Flame of Faith, Lamp of Learning". In a section titled "The 1960's" , he writes the following: "In a conservative denomination trying to distinguish itself from "fundamentalism", the evolution question persisted...At Valparaiso, biology professors Carl Krekeler and William Bloom regularly dealt with the issue in their classrooms and writings...Krekeler and Bloom formulated the view that both evolution and creation were valid answers to the question of the origins of life's diversity...This was the "double perspective" taught in Valparaiso theology and science classrooms."

"In 1965, the protagonists in this debate met face-to-face at a conference in Valparaiso.  Neither side budged.  Throughout the various controversies, O.P. vigorously defended Krekeler and Bloom, whether at pastoral conferences or in Campus Commentary."

vu72

Then Dr. Baepler continued in a section titled "the 1980's"  He writes in part:  "While VU was making significant academic and financial strides, the wounds from battles within the Missouri Synod were still open.  Longtime friends of Valparaiso had ended up on opposite sides of the bitter and painful conflict."

I found this of particular interest  (referring to a situation full of promise) "So did LCMS President Bohlman. He also saw  positive opportunities in the new condition of Lutheranism in America.  As the new Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, with its small but influential band of Valparaiso supporters, came into being in 1988, Bohlman challenged the University to become, as part of its mission, one place where the Missouri Synod and the ELCA could interact creatively for the sake of the future of the church."

It's a fascinating read.  I'm just tired of typing now.   ;)

valpo64

Both "OP" and Baepler were there when I attended '60-'64.  Big thing was the evolution thing although I never had any controversial religion profs.  Come to think of it, I did have Baepler for a semester, but had no issues.  I think it's just the normal thing for academia, especially those who are "men of the cloth", to flex their muscles and argue, argue, argue, argue and on and on...like who will sit at God's right hand.  Although I am LCMS, I did not attend VU for religion courses/studies  so I didn't pay much attention to the controversy.

a3uge

Quote from: agibson on October 02, 2015, 11:50:43 AM
Quote from: crusader05 on October 02, 2015, 11:43:38 AMThe fund is being started with a donation from Andy Nunemaker and will hopefully be a great asset as it grows!

Who I remembered as the the host of the pre-basketball VU alumni event in Milwaukee... last year? I wasn't there, but maybe some on the board were?  I do remember discussing the event, googling around, etc.  One of my freshmen from Milwaukee said he also hosted a prospective student event.

This is correct - he held this event the past 3 years (didn't go last year as I no longer live in Milwaukee). Very nice guy and a very nice house - he had Schlitz on tap in his basement and ordered a dozen Pizzas for everyone after the game.

vu72

Quote from: 78crusader on October 01, 2015, 04:12:20 PM
Does anyone know the freshmen class enrollment for this fall?  Usually the university puts out a press release on this, but I haven't seen anything other than 977 "new students" enrolled in August -- but this includes transfers etc.  Last year the freshmen class enrollment fell by 150 kids, which wouldn't be a big deal at Ohio State but it IS a big deal at VU.  If freshmen enrollment dropped again this year, I think that is cause for alarm.  The fact that VU hasn't said what the freshmen class size is this year seems to indicate to me that it dropped -- again. 

The overall enrollment for VU has increased over the past 6-8 years, but much of that has been fueled by large increases in transfers and grad students.  If anyone on this board works at VU, perhaps you have been told the freshmen class number for this year and could share it with us.

I've given up hope that VU can be a true Lutheran school anymore since only around 25% of its students are Lutherans (there are more Catholics on campus than Lutherans), and VU is in poor standing with the LCMS, but that is a topic for a different day.

Paul

So I just left a Valpo Club of Dallas event where Steve Sturmans from Valpo spoke.  Of interest is that apparently there is an alum who is interested in funding the building of the new Rec Center (don't call it a Field House!!) Nothing official but things are in the works.

He also distributed official enrollment numbers for the academic year 2015-2016, as follows:

Total Enrollment:      4,544
Undergrad:               3,183
New Freshman:           743  (I clarified specifically with him that this is up from last year)
New Transfers:            181  ( we graduated a large senior class but the transfers plus freshman replaced these students)
Graduate School:         916
Law School:                 445

Freshman Academic Profile:  (these are record highs)
Average GPA:    3.71
Average SAT:    1655
Average ACT:        26
Top 10% of H.S. Class:   35%
Top 50% of H.S. Class:   91%

Lutheran:  26%
Catholic:   25%
Other Christian Faiths:  34%
Other:       15%

Top 10 States for Students:

California
Florida
Illinois
Indiana
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Ohio
Texas
Wisconsin

Number of States represented:  44, plus D.C. and Puerto Rico
Number of Countries:  33

Total Costs:  $46,680

Enrollment By College:

Arts and Sciences:  1,717
Business:                  475
Engineering:              515
Nursing:                    476
Christ College:           327