• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Men's Tennis 2016-2017

Started by VULB#62, November 18, 2015, 02:41:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

Looks like Jim Daugherty has gotten a couple more nationally ranked players play for the brown and gold.

http://www.valpoathletics.com/mtennis/news/2015-16/15056/ancona-brozovich-ink-nlis-with-mens-tennis/#.VkzhbYQ4ko8  :thumbsup:

Now, if only track and field would follow his lead  :(

IndyValpo

Quote from: VULB#62 on November 18, 2015, 02:41:05 PM
Looks like Jim Daugherty has gotten a couple more nationally ranked players play for the brown and gold.

http://www.valpoathletics.com/mtennis/news/2015-16/15056/ancona-brozovich-ink-nlis-with-mens-tennis/#.VkzhbYQ4ko8  :thumbsup:

Now, if only track and field would follow his lead  :(

Don't forget Women's Tennis and Men's and Women's Swimming.....

valpotx

In addition to a great team this year at 16-5 (2-0) so far, we keep getting solid recruits in men's tennis!  Hopefully women's tennis is able to do the same with Cecchini in charge, since the NWI Courts appear to be a solid recruiting tool.  Our coach has been in charge for many years, but it seems that when this was built, it changed the recruiting game for him.

http://valpoathletics.com/mtennis/news/2015-16/15454/mens-tennis-lands-oklahoma-state-champion-langston/#.VxEgFfkrKM8
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

This is great news for a team that will return almost all of their players from this year's team.

I found it interesting that the announcement said that he " inked a financial aid agreement ", not a National Letter of Intent.  This is the way football players are "signed" by schools like Valpo.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpotx

Now up to 17-5 (3-0) after beating UIC 6-1 today
"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

Took down UDM 6-1 on Sunday. Now 18-5, 4-0 HL

valpotx

Another win gets us to 19-5 (5-0).  We have already clinched the #1 seed, and a share of the regular season title.  We should clinch the outright title tomorrow against CSU.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

HL regular season champs at 20-5 (6-0)!  Wright State apparently canceled their season after 2 games, due to player violations of some sort (nothing explains why exactly).  We will be heavy favorites to get the NCAA bid during the tournament championship at Michigan!
"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

And it gets better next year with some new commits.

valporun

Both Men's and Women's Tennis received major financial boosts a few years ago, plus a lot of resources were put in for indoor space and the new courts by the softball field, correct?

VULB#62

I believe the outdoor Tennis complex came out of the FITT campaign.  Then the athletic department entered into a deal with the Courts of NW Indiana (across from the new Porter Regional Hospital out by Rt 43 and US 6.  I also believe there is some partial athletic scholarship money as a part of the commitment.  The combination of these initiatives coupled with Valpo's outstanding academic reputation and attractive campus has really made a difference in attracting top Mid-west tennis talent.  The men's team were first to leverage it, but Tammy Cecchini seems to have now made recruiting inroads on the women's side.  For tennis, as well as golf, it's all about attracting talented HS players, then fine tuning their skills.  I don't think you will find huge jumps in development from average athletes into premier athletes at the college level.  For these sports, I think you have to recruit the highest level talent you can and then turn them loose.

vu72

So it looks like nobody else has noticed that Men's tennis is HORIZON LEAGUE CHAMPS!!!!  For the 1st time in program history and now headed for the NCAA tourney!!!!  Congrats on a fabulous year and good luck in the tourney!!!!!   :thewave: :cheers: :cheers: :dance: :dance:
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpotx

We just need men's soccer and women's golf to make the NCAA, and all of our team sports will have at least one NCAA tourney in the last 20 years.  Congrats guys!
"Don't mess with Texas"

covufan

Quote from: vu72 on May 01, 2016, 08:36:39 PM
So it looks like nobody else has noticed that Men's tennis is HORIZON LEAGUE CHAMPS!!!!  For the 1st time in program history and now headed for the NCAA tourney!!!!  Congrats on a fabulous year and good luck in the tourney!!!!!   :thewave: :cheers: :cheers: :dance: :dance:
I saw this on some of the social media (twitter, facebook).  Congrats to the Men's Tennis team! 

valpo64

GREAT JOB!  We are proud to see the success of the men's tennis program.  Best wishes in the NCAA tourney!

agibson

Top 16 teams host two rounds, so I guess we did pretty well to draw #14 Northwestern. May 14.

Winner plays the winner of Stanford - Notre Dame (still in Evanston, I gather).

valpotx

We played Northwestern very well today, it seemed.  All matches were close, and we had leads in the second set that didn't ended up in wins (Bacalla was up 5-2, but ended up losing that set 7-5).  Great season guys, and we look forward to next year!
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

Even more impressive is that Valpo earned the first point in the NCAA tourney for the HL since ND in 1994! 

http://valpoathletics.com/mtennis/news/2015-16/15554/crusaders-give-14-northwestern-tough-test-in-4-1-defeat/#.VzfhYPkrLIU
"Don't mess with Texas"

agibson

Quote from: valpotx on May 14, 2016, 09:46:23 PMsince ND in 1994!

I had completely forgotten that Notre Dame was a member.

sliman

We're blessed with the quality of men in our tennis program these days.  Here's an expanded story on information posted on the athletics department's web site:

http://herald-review.com/sports/tennis/first-time-s-a-charm-at-beck/article_8de2a7a1-6ade-557b-af1f-e1a6d56354e5.html

VULB#62

Schorsch, Emhardt Become First Players in Program History to Qualify for ITA National Indoors
Wednesday, October 26, 2016
Valparaiso University men's tennis players Jeffrey Schorsch (Perrysburg, Ohio / Perrysburg) and Charlie Emhardt (Carmel, Ind. / Carmel) added a new feat to their long list of accomplishments on Tuesday.

The seniors have qualified for the USTA/ITA National Indoor Intercollegiate Championships as a result of being awarded an ITA Wild Card Selection. They are the first players in program history to qualify for the event.

The prestigious event, which will take place from Nov. 3-6 in Flushing, N.Y., will feature the top 20 doubles teams in the nation. After three years of knocking on the door for a qualifying spot, Schorsch and Emhardt reached the goal with Tuesday's news.

As sophomores, Schorsch and Emhardt were semifinalists in the ITA Midwest Regional. As juniors, they went a step further by reaching the final match. They repeated as ITA Midwest Regional runners-up this season, dropping a thrilling three-set championship match to Michigan's Jathan Malik and Kevin Wong on Monday in Columbus, Ohio.

"It means a lot to those two," Valpo head coach Jim Daugherty said. "They were devastated after the loss, but they played very well and did everything they needed to do. It was one of the ultimate goals to reach the indoor national. They're elated. They're pumped, and so am I. I cherish this moment to be able to go with them and share this experience."

Schorsch and Emhardt continue to set the school record for career doubles wins each time they notch a victory. The rest of the defending Horizon League champion Crusaders will close out their fall season this weekend at the Illinois State Invitational, which begins on Friday in Normal, Ill.

http://www.valpoathletics.com/mtennis/news/2016-17/15846/schorsch-emhardt-become-first-players-in-program-history-to-qualify-for-ita-national-indoors/#.WBH6x3eZMo8

vu72

Emhardt and Schorsch defeat the No. 42 ranked Denver doubles team to move on against the No. 2 ranked team from Cal today at 4:30.  Win or lose, no Valpo doubles team have ever even played in the ITA National Indoors championship, among the final 20 teams in the country.  Great stuff indeed!!

vu72

Quote from: vu72 on November 03, 2016, 03:43:03 PM
Emhardt and Schorsch defeat the No. 42 ranked Denver doubles team to move on against the No. 2 ranked team from Cal today at 4:30.  Win or lose, no Valpo doubles team have ever even played in the ITA National Indoors championship, among the final 20 teams in the country.  Great stuff indeed!!

Schorsch and Emhardt win today over the ITA No. 2 ranked team in the country, from Cal.  Undoubtedly the greatest win in Men's tennis history!!  Congrats!!   :o :thewave: :dance: :clap:

agibson

Had no idea Cal was #2 - but figured they were good.

I thought the seeded team wasn't until the _third_ round? If so, the next game may not get any easier.

Corrected: I must have mis-read the bracket. Cal was the top overall seed in the tournament. One of four seeded teams in the bracket. Huge win!

Very impressive performance from our guys, from what's already been a very impressive pair!

What is/was their ranking?

For the next matches:

Three of the top four seeds were knocked off on Thursday, leaving the national title wide open with eight doubles pairs remaining. Now, Schorsch and Emhardt turn their attention to Ole Miss's Fabian Fallert and Grey Hamilton, who they meet in the quarterfinals on Friday at 2 p.m. Central Time. Fallert and Hamilton are coming off a 6-4, 6-4 win over North Florida. Valpo can move to Saturday's semifinals with a win on Friday afternoon.