• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Men's Tennis 2016-2017

Started by VULB#62, November 18, 2015, 02:41:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agibson

Somehow the next two weeks of ITF Futures, the main point-awarding events that the Valpo grads have been playing in, are both canceled - they were to be in Boston.

I'm hearing rumors that duo might surface next in Calgary, at the end of the month. It seems to be attracting a higher caliber of player than the IL tournaments of the last few weeks
http://www.itftennis.com/procircuit/tournaments/men's-tournament/info.aspx?tournamentid=1100040079

agibson

The boys are back in ITF Futures action today in Calgary.

J with his first direct entry into the main draw. His ranking (994th or so) was enough to earn him what might have been the last spot - no wild card or qualifying required.

Charlie won a qualifying match, but lost the crucial second to the 3rd seed of the qualifying tournament.

J plays around noon. By ranking points I suppose he's a modest favorite, but the other guy may be more experienced.

J and Charlie are at it together in doubles, late this afternoon. I've not figured out how doubles rankings worked - even Charlie still somehow seems unranked? But they seem not to have needed a wild card to get into the doubles.

agibson

Quote from: agibson on August 28, 2017, 10:22:56 AMJ plays around noon. By ranking points I suppose he's a modest favorite, but the other guy may be more experienced.

Now the bit I had missed is that he's playing a qualifier - somebody who won two matches to win the right to play him. I don't know how much of a factor momentum is in tennis.

But, I guess it does tend to guarantee that his opponent (Tom Fawcett) isn't having an "off week" (doesn't have a bad injury, etc.). He was likely playing close to the top of his game earlier this week. And maybe still today.

Jeffrey lost the first set 6-1 and is currently up 1-2 in the second.

agibson

Jeffrey and Charlie are still at it. In Switzerland these last couple of weeks. It looks like the quality of competition is high compared to the US Futures events they've mostly played in. J's ranking hasn't been enough to get him into the Main Draw (he did win a qualifying match, against a teenager) and Charlie's not been in the singles at all.

But, Charlie did sneak into the doubles this week partnering Notre Dame grad Josh Hagar. They made it in as alternates when the #3 seed withdrew. They've won two matches so far, and are through to the semi-finals. I think this means Charlie will _finally_ pick up a doubles ranking. (Main Draw wins aren't good enough, like they are in singles, at least not at Futures events. You've got to get through to the semis.)

It happens they're playing in Bellevue, just outside Geneva, and very close to the French border. It looks like the tennis complex is a couple of blocks from the softball field (at the Marine residence, for the folks who guard the US Mission to the UN) where I spent many a happy Sunday afternoon.