• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Horizon League Podcast

Started by a3uge, January 11, 2016, 04:45:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

a3uge

http://fourlights.fm/hr/horizone-roundtable-1-theres-valpo-everybody-else/

Jimmy Lemke from PantherU and some dude that follows Cleveland State created a Horizon League Podcast. The first episode is pretty good, includes lots of Valpo talk, Horizon League, expansion, etc. I'm sure it'll only last a few episodes, like every project on the internet, but definitely worth a listen.

HC

I listened for 19 minutes while playing Plants vs Zombies with my kids. 19 minutes was more then enough for me.  Probably a fun project to work on for those guys. Did the Oakland vs Detroit chat have any good back and forth?

a3uge

Quote from: HC on January 11, 2016, 07:32:05 PM
I listened for 19 minutes while playing Plants vs Zombies with my kids. 19 minutes was more then enough for me.  Probably a fun project to work on for those guys. Did the Oakland vs Detroit chat have any good back and forth?

Not really, but I don't find it all that compelling of a rivalry. The past two years, both teams have been under .500. Maybe it'll be more important this year.

They talked a bunch about Valpo recruiting and expansion, which was interesting coming from a neutral party.

HC

I heard the Valpo recruiting part. We apparently recruit Europe well even though I'd bet the coaches didn't spend much time in Europe getting the LSU transfer, the Jamaican, the two guys from Canada, or the kid from the prep school in Merrilville.  It is interesting to hear what outsiders think.

(Modified to remove my snarky comment at the end)

valpotx

The discussion was at least somewhat interesting, up until they started talking about our foreign recruits.  Yes, I am sure that we go to recruits and tell them that we are the same as the high major programs, and that is the reason they commit to us...are you kidding me?!?!  They come to Valpo because it is a quality US education as rated every year by any publication that matters, and they get to play D-1 basketball for a program that wins EVERY year.  If you are a kid from outside the US and you look at the other schools in the HL, you will immediately notice that we are the only program that has 2 losing seasons in the last what, 20 seasons?  You also notice that massive amount of championship banners that men's basketball has in the rafters.  THAT is why they come to Valpo, as they will win, and get a strong education.
"Don't mess with Texas"

agibson

Quote from: valpotx on January 12, 2016, 01:21:17 PMThe discussion was at least somewhat interesting, up until they started talking about our foreign recruits.  Yes, I am sure that we go to recruits and tell them that we are the same as the high major programs, and that is the reason they commit to us...are you kidding me?!?!

No, it's the waves of Lutheran missionaries, the Valpo shirts to be seen in cities throughout Europe, er, throughout Canada and the Caribbean!

It's at least an interesting question.  Why _are_ we more successful than other programs at recruiting internationally?  Is it our brand? Do we put a lot more effort into it? What does that effort look like? In the 90's Homer and Scott and crew may have been early adopters.  But, at this point it's hardly a novel idea.

The amount of Valpo content was more satisfying than in Episode 0, at least.  Even if some of it was harebrained.

I respect what they're trying to do, and I'll keep listening. It's not easy to be authoritative about ten teams across the Horizon League. 

A lot of spitballing mixed into their content, for sure.  But, the Horizon League _was_ in need of a podcast.

a3uge

Quote from: agibson on January 12, 2016, 02:37:29 PM
Quote from: valpotx on January 12, 2016, 01:21:17 PMThe discussion was at least somewhat interesting, up until they started talking about our foreign recruits.  Yes, I am sure that we go to recruits and tell them that we are the same as the high major programs, and that is the reason they commit to us...are you kidding me?!?!

No, it's the waves of Lutheran missionaries, the Valpo shirts to be seen in cities throughout Europe, er, throughout Canada and the Caribbean!

It's at least an interesting question.  Why _are_ we more successful than other programs at recruiting internationally?  Is it our brand? Do we put a lot more effort into it? What does that effort look like? In the 90's Homer and Scott and crew may have been early adopters.  But, at this point it's hardly a novel idea.

The amount of Valpo content was more satisfying than in Episode 0, at least.  Even if some of it was harebrained.

I respect what they're trying to do, and I'll keep listening. It's not easy to be authoritative about ten teams across the Horizon League. 

A lot of spitballing mixed into their content, for sure.  But, the Horizon League _was_ in need of a podcast.

I assumed a lot of the Valpo recruiting talk was made in jest. At least, I hope. It's not like Lutheranism in the Midwest is a new thing.

I did go back and listen to episode 0. It seemed like they had some interesting topics, but jumped around before they got real interesting. Episode 1 was better. Looking forwards to episode 2.

agibson

Quote from: a3uge on January 12, 2016, 03:52:57 PMI assumed a lot of the Valpo recruiting talk was made in jest. At least, I hope. It's not like Lutheranism in the Midwest is a new thing.

I wasn't so generous in my interpretation, perhaps you're right!.  They seemed well-intentioned, knowledgable about some things, and a bit ignorant about others.

FWalum

Quote from: valpotx on January 12, 2016, 01:21:17 PMYes, I am sure that we go to recruits and tell them that we are the same as the high major programs, and that is the reason they commit to us...are you kidding me?!?!  They come to Valpo because it is a quality US education as rated every year by any publication that matters, and they get to play D-1 basketball for a program that wins EVERY year.
The academic accomplishments of one Vashil Fernandez certainly won't hurt in attracting foreign recruits!
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

ml2

My apologies if this video has been referenced before on the message board, but I think it shows directly the kind of pitch that Valpo makes to international recruits.

https://youtu.be/ZvPN0dwcz74

vu72

Quote from: ml2 on January 13, 2016, 08:12:52 AM
My apologies if this video has been referenced before on the message board, but I think it shows directly the kind of pitch that Valpo makes to international recruits.

Thanks for posting this video.  Very impressive.  Tells a very clear story.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

FWalum

Thanks ml2, glad to see you still find time to visit the board!
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

agibson

Quote from: ml2 on January 13, 2016, 08:12:52 AM

Nice video!

It amused me to see that my left hand made an appearance, in the somewhat random clip of the Bach Choir, around 5m45.

a3uge

Episode 2 : http://fourlights.fm/hr/horizone-roundtable-2-metro-series-preview/

Two new guys joined - someone from Oakland and another from Detroit. The Oakland guy is the same one that said their statistically below average on defense forward that was one of the worst rebounders in the Horizon was "cheated" out of defensive player of the year award. In the episode he even blamed Oakland's poor defense this year on his absence.

A lot of "us" and "we" talk got confusing. Had no idea which guy belonged to which team. Kind of hard to follow, and a lot of tangents that completely derailed the original topic.

The most interesting thing was the talk about the tournament, I guess. All four seemed to defend it.

Some talk about how they miss the Horizon League Network - disagreed with all of that.

valpotx

Of course they defend the tournament not being on Valpo's campus any more.  Oakland, Detroit, Cleveland State, and Milwaukee would not have been given the opportunity to host it ever again, as long as Bryce is our coach :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

a3uge

Also, "look at me I'm an insider!" makes a return.

HC

Most of these guys, and probably most of us too, are all a bunch of clowns who think they know everything about the team they cheer for.

agibson

Quote from: HC on January 15, 2016, 02:25:01 PM
Most of these guys, and probably most of us too, are all a bunch of clowns who think they know everything about the team they cheer for.

And what separates them from the guys on the radio or ESPN is... a bit of polish? ;)

HC

A research team, years of schooling, actual interviews with coaches and administration.... I'm sure Ore, Amin, and all the other sports reporters/broadcasters would be thrilled to hear they are no different then a few bloggers.

a3uge

We should start a competing podcast, who's with me?

covufan

Quote from: a3uge on January 15, 2016, 04:46:15 PM
We should start a competing podcast, who's with me?
Each week interview a donkey wearing the hat/clothes of an opponent - "And this week we are interviewing ????, a fan from ????"

You could get guests like pgmado, amin, and chef, with chef giving the probabilities of card playing during the summer months.

HC

The goat idea is fantastic, but then you legitimized it with actual guest who report sports for a living.

Imagine....
This week's guest is a Sheep, he's a fan of NKU. Sheep, what is your opinion on the tourney being in Detroit.
"Baaaaaaaaad," Sheep

StlVUFan

Quote from: agibson on January 15, 2016, 02:58:20 PM
Quote from: HC on January 15, 2016, 02:25:01 PM

And what separates them from the guys on the radio or ESPN is... a bit of polish? ;)
Guys on the radio - not sure who you mean.
ESPN -- what separates them from ESPN is that "these guys" are actually knowledgeable about the HL.  ESPN crams for a half hour and acts like they are knowledgeable.

HC

Well they are semi knowledgeable about their teams.

frontrowfan

I'm game...watch many games and as many of the Horizon Leagues as I can even when rebroadcast.