• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Horizon League Podcast

Started by a3uge, January 11, 2016, 04:45:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agibson

Quote from: StlVUFan on January 15, 2016, 05:45:48 PMGuys on the radio - not sure who you mean.

Sportz Radio, more or less.  Sports Talk Radio.  ESPN 1000, that kind of thing.

Certainly wasn't referring to Todd!

StlVUFan

Quote from: agibson on January 15, 2016, 09:48:23 PM
Quote from: StlVUFan on January 15, 2016, 05:45:48 PMGuys on the radio - not sure who you mean.

Sportz Radio, more or less.  Sports Talk Radio.  ESPN 1000, that kind of thing.

Certainly wasn't referring to Todd!
Ah.  I only consume WSCR, and never when they talk College Basketball because they mostly shun our level anyway.  I don't listen to other stations so I can't comment.

blackpantheruwm

Quote from: a3uge on January 15, 2016, 04:46:15 PM
We should start a competing podcast, who's with me?

I'm with you. Those guys on that podcast suck something awful.  ;D

The talk about recruiting internationally was mostly in jest. Paul Spicuzza (infinitely more knowledgeable than me on the Panthers and the Horizon League) and I would joke about Homer telling international recruits there's really no difference between UConn, Louisville, and Valpo. "You can pick UConn, Louisville, or Valpo - it's all pretty much the same thing!" Totally in jest, but if you're really bothered by it, know it's because Valpo recruits internationally better than about 98% of teams in Division I - truly.

I've never been shy about my status as a blogger - I'm no Paul Oren or Rob Demovsky or...any of the guys Wright State has had in the last decade. Paul was jokingly disappointed he wasn't a guest on the first episode, so

By the way, Episode 3 is up after we recorded the show yesterday. This one is a little less on basketball and a little heavier on CSU's problems getting people to games, but I still hope you folks give it a listen. Subscribe if you can and let's see if we can drum up some more interest in Horizon League hoops!

BTW a3uge, you're more than welcome to come on whenever you get a free Sunday. MAYBE WE CAN MAKE YOU AN INSIDER TOO!!!!

FWalum

Check it out, StlVUFan is on the Podcast this week! Roundtable 5 The Halfway Episode I think we can expect that VU will be one of the main topics.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

a3uge

http://fourlights.fm/hr/horizone-roundtable-6-whos-separating-themselves/

Podcast 6: Does Valpo have a chance at an at-large? We learn Valpo beating Oregon State was about the same as Milwaukee beating Minnesota, and the 2nd best team has about an RPI of 80. Cmon Jimmy, do your homework first!

HC

I've only listened to parts of 3 of the episodes...Jimmy you sound like some sort of creeper operating out of a windowless van every time you chime in with your initial greeting.

FWalum

Quote from: a3uge on February 08, 2016, 04:18:57 PM
http://fourlights.fm/hr/horizone-roundtable-6-whos-separating-themselves/

Podcast 6: Does Valpo have a chance at an at-large? We learn Valpo beating Oregon State was about the same as Milwaukee beating Minnesota, and the 2nd best team has about an RPI of 80. Cmon Jimmy, do your homework first!
And will someone tell him to fix whatever is wrong with his mic or VOIP software that makes it practically cut out half the time.  Comparing a Warren Nolan RPI #41 Oregon State to RPI #248 Minnesota is very poor research. I love the fact that they beat a BIG10 school, but Minnesota's best win is at home against #90 Clemson. They also lost to 2 of the 4 Summit teams they played.  6-7 teams in the post season also seems a stretch to me unless a lot of higher rated teams won't pay to play.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

valpotx

Wow, that is a terrible comparison.  Oregon State beat Utah and Colorado recently, who have both been ranked this year.  Minnesota has been crap all season.  No comparison should ever be made between those teams this season...
"Don't mess with Texas"

hailcrusaders

#CrusadersForever

a3uge

Entertaining podcast, for sure...

But good lord does every episode have to include a discussion about kicking YSU out of the conference? We get it, the Horizon made a mistake. We all agree. But kicking them out? It was never going to happen instead of adding NKU - the Horizon wasn't going to have 6 baseball teams and 5 cc/track teams.

historyman

Quote from: a3uge on March 04, 2016, 04:34:18 PMthe Horizon wasn't going to have 6 baseball teams and 5 cc/track teams.

I do think the baseball aspect is easily forgotten when talking about YSU getting kicked out of the HL.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

blackpantheruwm

Quote from: historyman on March 07, 2016, 01:04:49 AM
Quote from: a3uge on March 04, 2016, 04:34:18 PMthe Horizon wasn't going to have 6 baseball teams and 5 cc/track teams.

I do think the baseball aspect is easily forgotten when talking about YSU getting kicked out of the HL.

I'm sure that's the excuse. It's also remedied very easily by bringing in someone who is on an outpost in their conference and would like to lessen their travel restrictions. I think the obvious answer would be Chicago State, if they weren't in dire financial circumstances. There also might be a school in Kentucky, Tennessee, Missouri or West Virginia that would like to play one sport at the Division I level a la Dallas Baptist, where they can be an associate member. Also are we 100% out of teams to play baseball? CSU can't be talked into getting back into it? Detroit doesn't want to get into baseball? Any conference the Titans have talked about moving to when they're angry is a baseball conference - MVC, A10, MAAC.

But I'm not here to talk about YSU, which I just am dead tired on (in the podcast today I decline to talk about it haha). I'm here to say that I wish I saw this a month ago:

QuoteJimmy you sound like some sort of creeper operating out of a windowless van every time you chime in with your initial greeting.

I just laughed out loud when I read this. Hank, you're the best.

HC

I'm not saying that's a bad thing, embrace it! Make it your thing!  :thumbsup:

I'm assuming you are going to put your AD on blast in the next episode, that'll be worth a listen for sure!