• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Extinguishing the Flames, 2016

Started by agibson, January 16, 2016, 04:18:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbtds

Light snow in the Louisville area

http://tinyurl.com/gswvbhe

The above camera is for I-65 at milemarker 7.4 which is the exit for Highway 60 and Clark Regional Airport just north of the I-65 and I-265 intersection north of Louisville in Indiana.

Here is that intersection on google streetview
http://tinyurl.com/hzafpam

Google Streetview of exit off I-275 for Northern Kentucky University campus
http://tinyurl.com/je6qpwr

Here is the Cincinnati area traffic camera at I-275 and I-471 in Kentucky near the Northern Kentucky U campus:
http://www.buckeyetraffic.org/dialogs/cameras/ViewCamera.aspx?id=621a6c287c7f48198988ff5328f44994#

Here is the google streetview for that I-275/I-471 intersection. you can see the exit ramp for Three Mile Rd to the right:
http://tinyurl.com/z7mvxdq

Here is the google streetview for BB&T Arena on the NKU campus where Sunday's game will be played (from south):
http://tinyurl.com/huourrq

Here is another google streetview of BB&T Arena (from north):
http://tinyurl.com/jtswayu

bbtds

Quote from: talksalot on January 23, 2016, 08:05:22 AM
Bass not in the UIC box score from last night

http://www.uicflames.com/sports/m-baskbl/stats/2015-2016/012216.html

Since Paris Bass plays for Detroit he wouldn't have been in the UIC box score but Paris Burns, who has played for UIC previously, was not in the UIC box score either.

Paris Burns

Paris Bass

agibson

UIC confirmed he's gone.  Burns, that is.

They had no comment on Bass.

talksalot

It's that Bass-o-Matic thing again... NOT the Mr. Burns we know from the Simpsons...

talksalot

Still three teams with 0-fer the season in D1...

Northwestern State (0-13)  is at Nicholls State on Monday night...Thibodaux Louisiana will be hopping!  They are having a "Stuff Stopher" night...

THIBODAUX, La. – The Nicholls State University men's basketball team will look to right the ship with the help of an anticipated capacity crowd as the squad faces in-state rival Northwestern State for its annual Stuff Stopher game at 6:30 p.m. on Monday.

The Colonels (5-15, 1-5 SLC) have dropped four consecutive contests, including a disappointing 94-83 loss at the hands of Central Arkansas on Saturday. In each of Nicholls' last three games, the team has trailed by double-digits in the second half, only to make a valiant comeback but come up just short. In order to down a dangerous NSU squad on Monday, the Colonels will need to start strong and sustain their energy for the full 40 minutes.

The Demons (3-14, 0-7 SLC) were picked to finish second in both Southland Conference preseason polls, receiving a combined five first-place votes, but the landscape of the league and the game plan for Northwestern State dramatically changed when preseason first-team selection, Jalan West, sustained a season-ending injury. Arguably the most talented player in the conference, West averaged 20.0 points, 7.7 assists and 2.1 steals per game last season and was a three-time all-defensive team honoree. Despite the significant loss, the Demons have rallied around their other preseason first-time selection, Zeek Woodley, who currently leads the Southland in average points (22.0). And while Northwestern State has yet to earn a league win, the Demons are a more than capable squad, dangerously looming on the upcoming schedules of conference opponents.

In a rivalry that dates back to 1959, Northwestern State owns a 63-40 advantage in the all-time series against Nicholls. The Demons have won five straight games against the Colonels, and swept the two-game series last year. Northwestern State picked up an 80-51 victory on Jan. 26 in Natchitoches, before defeating Nicholls, 79-57, on Feb. 23 in Thibodaux.

The Colonels average 67.4 points and allow 80.4. Nicholls shoots 40.1% from the floor and 30.1% from three-point range, while surrendering 47.6% and 31.9% respectively. The Colonels have a -9.1 rebounding margin and a -1.4 turnover margin this season.

The Demons average 76.4 points and give up 86.4. Northwestern State shoots 44.8% from the field and 33.3% from beyond the arc, while allowing 47.6% and 33.3% respectively. The Demons have a -8.9 rebounding margin and a -1.6 turnover margin on the year.

=======================

Delaware State... had it's second postponement of the season on Saturday; and will make up the game with NC Central on January 27.  the Hornets next game is also on Monday night, as they plan NC A&T (5-14) in Dover.

=======================

The Flames kick off their end-of-year stretch... with 7 of their last 10 at the Pavilion; including the next 5 in a row.
Thursday night: Youngstown with Cleveland, Valpo, Wright and NorKy in line for the team that used to have a Paris on their roster.

bbtds

Quote from: talksalot on January 24, 2016, 04:54:43 PMfor the team that used to have a Paris on their roster.
Embassassed about that? Kind of burns doesn't it? Eiffel kind of bad for pointing it out.

Northwestern State is in Natchitoches, LA which is not to be confused with Nacogdoches, TX which is where Stephen F Austin University is located which is not to be confused with Austin, TX which is the capital of Texas and home of the University of Texas.

talksalot

I don't suppose anyone would believe me if I said... "It was a test just to see if anyone really reads this stuff"?   Mais Non, as they would say in Paris.

historyman

Quote from: talksalot on January 24, 2016, 08:34:15 PM
I don't suppose anyone would believe me if I said... "It was a test just to see if anyone really reads this stuff"?   Mais Non, as they would say in Paris.

Je ne.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

talksalot

And then there were 2....
Congratulations to the Demons

Northwestern State (4-14)  44 44 88    Nicholls State (5-16)  41 39 80

and THEN there was 1.....
Congratulations to the Hornets

North Carolina A&T (5-16)  19 36 55    Delaware State (2-17)  32 25 57

so... the Flames are all alone...

agibson

Quote from: talksalot on January 25, 2016, 09:05:34 PMso... the Flames are all alone...

OK.  Dubious distinction, but that's step 1.  They're the last in D1 with a chance to go this season without a D1 win.

There are still three teams with only one win overall, to UIC's two wins against non-D1's.  So, there's that.

And, their RPI hangs in at #350.  Central Connecticut holds #351, and it may take a couple of wins to pass UIC, due to SOS.  Maybe 4 more wins, in fact. So, it seems there's _not_ a very good chance that UIC finishes with the lowest RPI.

agibson

And, UIC's best chance may come this Thursday.  NKU's looked OK, so Youngstown coming to Chicago might be UIC's big chance.

talksalot

and their cross-town rivals may be the first D1 team to 20 losses...they are at 1-19

Kyle321n

There are 351 teams in D1 Basketball. Here's some offensive values from KenPom.

Stat   Value Rank
Effective FG%:   40.7 350
Turnover %:   21.9 335
3P%:   30.3 319
2P%:   39.3 350
FT%:   62.9 328
Block%:   12.4 333
Steal%:   9.9 291
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

talksalot

I'm glad we have a whole week to get ready for them...   :-X

vu72

Quote from: agibson on January 25, 2016, 09:47:17 PM
And, UIC's best chance may come this Thursday.  NKU's looked OK, so Youngstown coming to Chicago might be UIC's big chance.
[/b]

You mean that team that beat Oakland on their home floor??   :o
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

agibson

I hear YSU put up 50 in the first half of, but now UIC's got them within four.  A chance.

talksalot

Here's the Recap from the UIC website:

UIC knocked 22 points off a sizable 24-point deficit with a furious second-half comeback, but the Flames fell just short of victory against the visiting Youngstown State Penguins Thursday night, falling 82-78.

Thanks to a red-hot performance from beyond the arc, YSU built up a 24-point lead with 3:57 to go in the first half. The Penguins had knocked down 10 3-pointers by that point in the ballgame, including five on consecutive possessions over a span of just 1:18. The Flames outscored the visitors 6-0 in the final four minutes to help set the stage for the epic second-half rally.

It was an 18-point game at the half, but a spirited 16-4 run by the home team over the next 3:38 made it only a five-point game with 14:40 remaining on the clock. The surge started with back-to-back 3-point baskets from Dikembe Dixson, and it featured all five players on the floor contributing on the offensive end. UIC also coaxed a pair of turnovers and another handful of difficult shots for the Penguins.

Youngstown State quietly pushed the lead back to 10, and later 11 points, but the Flames would not be doused so easily. Trailing 70-59 with 8:21 remaining, used another run, this time 7-0, to make it a four-point game with a shade over seven minutes to go. UIC fell behind again by nine with 3:47 left, but there was no quit in the squad.

With 29.9 seconds left in the contest, Dixson drilled his fourth 3-pointer of the half to make it a four-point game. YSU's Jorden Kaufman was fouled by Dixson, but he missed the front end of a 1-and-1. Najeal Young got the rebound, he got the ball ahead to Michael Kolawole, who was fouled with 23 ticks left. The freshman calmly buried both free throws to make it a two-point game. The Penguins got back up by four before a tip-in by Young made it a one-shot game again with five seconds left.

Dixson fouled YSU's Jordan Andrews, and he made both shots from the charity stripe to seal a four-point victory.

UIC received heroic performances from up and down its lineup in its first game of a five-game homestand. Dixson led all players with a career-high 32 points, and he matched his personal-best effort on the glass with 15 rebounds. His four 3-pointers also matched a career-high. Dixson wasn't the only one stuffing the stat sheet, however. Young and Tai Odiase each recorded a second double-double this season. Young scored 12 points and led all players with 16 rebounds, while Odiase added 13 points, a career-high 13 rebounds and six blocked shots. It was the third time in the last six games that the sophomore center sent back at least six shots.

Kolawole scored a career-high 15 points, while handing out a career-high five assists. The fifth member of UIC's starting lineup, Lance Whitaker, chipped in with a career-high four steals to go with four points and four assists. Each member of the starting-five (Dixson, Young, Odiase, Kolawole and Whitaker) played at least 34 minutes, while Kolawole matched a career-high with 38 minutes played for the second consecutive game.

The Flames destroyed the Penguins on the glass, 51-41, and in the paint, 44-20. The home team also scored 23 points off YSU's 13 turnovers, but ultimately Youngstown State's 42 points from beyond the arc sank UIC.

The Flames have a quick turnaround before their next home game. UIC welcomes Cleveland State to the UIC Pavilion on Saturday, Jan. 30 at 3 p.m., as the team's open the second half of the conference slate. CSU captured the first meeting on Jan. 18, 70-53.

UIC Notes: UIC started the game with Dikembe Dixson, Michael Kolawole, Tai Odiase, Lance Whitaker and Najeal Young, marking the fourth time this season, and third consecutive outing, that head coach Steve McClain has opened with that group ... Dixson and Odiase have each started all 20 games ... Dixson's 32 points were the most for a UIC player since Jay Harris scored as many vs. UCF on Dec. 11, 2014 ... Dixson has played at least 40 minutes in each of the last three games ... UIC made eight 3-pointers in the second half after missing all eight attempts in the first ... After receiving three double-doubles in the first 16 games, the Flames have posted six in the last four contests ... UIC leads the all-time series vs. YSU, 25-11 ... Thursday's game was the start of a five-game homestand, and a stretch of seven of eight at the UIC Pavilion.

Kyle321n

UIC held Youngstown St. scoreless for the final 4 minutes of the first half and still was down by 18 points. There was a solid 3 minutes where neither team scored in the half.

talksalot

With another player out for Cleveland State's starting line-up, it was obvious that Gary Waters is trying to find a working line-up...  this may be a good opportunity to get off the basis of this thread on Saturday for the Flames....

valporun

I wonder, now that Paris Bass has left the UIC Flames, ala Tony Falu, do the Flames finally start playing better basketball? Sounds to me like Bass was working against Steve McClain, and it was affecting the chemistry of the rest of the roster.

HC

Paris Bass is still on Detroit, but no they will still be "the suckiest bunch of sucks that ever sucked."

talksalot

That just Burns me... oh wait... we've been through this before...

Kyle321n

Since LAA isn't around anymore, I'll poach his posts from Flameout 2014 (was it only 2 years ago we were doing this, god this team is awful)

QuoteIntroducing FLAMEQUEST 2014:  The Quest To Be the Worst Team In Horizon League History Or At Least Hopefully Better Than Milwaukee Last Year.  Throughout the conference season we'll all be watching to find whether or not UIC can at least be the best—at being the worst.  You may have thought Milwaukee was absolutely wretched last year (and they were), but at least they won amidst the many beatings they absorbed.  No, to be truly the worst, UIC has to lose ALL their games just to tie 2003-04 Cleveland State (0-16). 

The Horizon League has also never had a team with RPI below 2004-05 Youngstown St (321 out of 327, or 1.8 percentile).  UIC is 293/349, or 16th percentile—losing out would leave them 324/349, or 7.2% (RealTimeRPI says they are 294 now...). 

Third: in conference play, 2004-05 YSU was outscored by 13.2 ppg; RPI Forecast has UIC on track to be outscored by 8.2 ppg (currently losing by only 8.7 ppg).  Can they pull off the Pu Pu Platter, the Trifecta of Awful?

Doesn't look promising, since they're not quite as gawdoffal as UWM last year, but they've set the barlow and keep underwhelming...ladies and gentlemen, your 2014 HL UIC FLAMES!
As of 1/29/16
RECORD:  0-9 (0-18 in D1 games)
RPI: 350 out of 351 (0.28 Percentile)
Scoring margin: 16.2 ppg
Next Game: vs. Cleveland St.   
KenPom Prediction: L, 65-62 (37% chance of winning)
Odds of an 0-fer: 24.4%

Guys, they are well on their way to being the worst team in HL history. Somehow RPI Wizard has them at 350 still if they lose out. 

agibson

Quote from: Kyle321n on January 29, 2016, 04:49:58 PMSomehow RPI Wizard has them at 350 still if they lose out. 

UIC's non-conference SOS wasn't good (305) but Central Connecticut's was worse (345).

The Horizon League's RPI isn't what we'd like (#17), but the NEC's is a lot worse (second-to-last #31).

Enough, together, to give UIC a significant buffer over Central Connecticut.  Two or three games?  Maybe more?