• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Nice ESPN Article on Oakland's Kay Felder

Started by valpo95, February 04, 2016, 12:00:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpo95

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/14704838/oakland-little-man-kay-felder-big-game

I didn't see it posted elsewhere, but there is a nice article on ESPN.com by Myron Medcalf on Kay Felder: Growing up in Detroit, being recruited by Oakland, and now getting looks from the NBA.

oklahomamick

I sure hope he takes his chance this year and jumps to the NBA. 
CRUSADERS!!!

a3uge

Quote from: oklahomamick on February 04, 2016, 12:46:50 PM
I sure hope he takes his chance this year and jumps to the NBA.
He will most certainly try - players can now declare and return to school if not drafted.

agibson

Quote from: a3uge on February 04, 2016, 02:10:29 PMHe will most certainly try - players can now declare and return to school if not drafted.

Does it go that late?  I seem to remember they can definitely go to camps now, and get evaluated. Or was that always the case?

But does their allowance really go all the way to draft day?

I don't remember about an agent, either.

Changes this year, for sure.  But I'm finding myself fuzzy on exactly what the before and after are.

a3uge

Quote from: agibson on February 04, 2016, 03:37:20 PM
Quote from: a3uge on February 04, 2016, 02:10:29 PMHe will most certainly try - players can now declare and return to school if not drafted.

Does it go that late?  I seem to remember they can definitely go to camps now, and get evaluated. Or was that always the case?

But does their allowance really go all the way to draft day?

I don't remember about an agent, either.

Changes this year, for sure.  But I'm finding myself fuzzy on exactly what the before and after are.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2016/01/13/nba-draft-ncaa-rule-change/78767078/

The NCAA pushed back the date in which early entrant candidates for the NBA draft could withdraw their name until 10 days after the conclusion of the NBA draft combine in May. Previously, the NCAA's deadline for a player to withdraw his name from the draft was during the spring signing period in early April.

The NCAA also will allow early entrant candidates to participate in the NBA draft combine and work out for one NBA team without jeopardizing their eligibility, and players can enter the draft multiple times without losing eligibility.

agibson

Quote from: a3uge on February 04, 2016, 03:57:00 PMhttp://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2016/01/13/nba-draft-ncaa-rule-change/78767078/

The NCAA pushed back the date in which early entrant candidates for the NBA draft could withdraw their name until 10 days after the conclusion of the NBA draft combine in May. Previously, the NCAA's deadline for a player to withdraw his name from the draft was during the spring signing period in early April.

The NCAA also will allow early entrant candidates to participate in the NBA draft combine and work out for one NBA team without jeopardizing their eligibility, and players can enter the draft multiple times without losing eligibility.

Without (alas, working quickly) reading the USA Today version, here's wikipedia's version

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_NBA_draft
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_NBA_draft#Eligibility_and_entrants

The summary's very similar from yours, except, maybe, for the last point

NCAA players may now enter and withdraw from the draft multiple times without loss of eligibility. Previously, the NCAA treated a second declaration of draft eligibility as a permanent loss of college eligibility.

The withdrawal deadline is still before the draft.  But it's now after the combine.  So they can go to one combine, and evidently one team "tryout" per year (is that the same as a team camp?).

In the past, you could put your name in for the draft, say, after your sophomore year. But, you'd have to withdraw it before the combine (and obviously before the draft), or lose your eligibility.  And in the old days, you could then again put your name in after your junior year.  But, evidently, at that point you _already_ lost your NCAA eligibility.  You couldn't withdraw your name a second time (this is news to me).

Now, you get to keep your name in the hat longer.  Until after the combine.  Until after a tryout.  But, you still have to pull it out before the draft itself.  So, we're not going all the way to MLB territory.

And, you can do that multiple times (multiple years), if you want.  But, if you leave your name in the process long enough to get to the actual draft, you've lost your NCAA eligibility.

That matches wikipedia, at least, and is consistent with my rough memories of past news stories.  But, if I've got it wrong please set me straight.

Complicated, to be sure!  And I'm still not sure about agents, or exactly what kind of advice/info students can get while retaining their NCAA eligibility.  But, sounds like all of this is likely to the benefit of young athletes.

So, do we expect to see Alec throwing his name in the hopper, looking for a combine invitation?  Everybody on the team?  (What's there to lose? Except focus?)

oklahomamick

CRUSADERS!!!

historyman

How in the world can you be defending Felder and lose him for that long? When K did the alley oop slam. That has to be some of the worst defense I've seen a team play against Felder and Oakland.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

elephtheria47

New changes are good for the player (they get more information to make a solid and life changing decision) but bad for the school(s) since the spring period has already come and gone by the time the player has to 'officially' keep his name in or out...