• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Greek System Blast from the Past

Started by FWalum, March 09, 2016, 12:22:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FWalum

In Florida helping my Mother take care of some things after my Father's sudden death in December and ran across some things that might interest the older Greek alums on the board like setshot. Here are two photos of my Father's Kappa Iota Pi pledge paddle from 1949.  Are there any names that anyone recognizes?

My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

covufan

historyman

Quote from: covufan on March 09, 2016, 06:38:27 PM
I'm not seeing any picture. 

Really! I'm seeing it nicely. Fuzzy, Wimpy, Little Tommy, Booby and Pastor Tom are all there. Siriusly!
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

bbtds

Quote from: historyman on March 09, 2016, 10:43:55 PM

Really! I'm seeing it nicely. Fuzzy, Wimpy, Little Tommy, Booby and Pastor Tom are all there. Siriusly!

I thought I saw Felix the human test strip. He went by the nickname, PH.

historyman

Quote from: bbtds on March 10, 2016, 12:17:54 AM
Quote from: historyman on March 09, 2016, 10:43:55 PM

I thought I saw Felix the human test strip. He went by the nickname, PH.

He was always a little off balance.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

FWalum

My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

covufan

Don't recognize any pledge names, but from the actives I recognize Doering, Engerer, Koenig, Krueger, Reimer, Schech, and Schroer.  I also recognize Herrmann and Geist, but they may be uncles of people I knew 30+ years later. 

Very nice!

VULB#62

Add Joe Pahr in the pledge class -- great FB player.  KIP was the forerunner of Phi Delta Theta.

historyman

D Hoeppner is the Valpo lawyer from the law firm Hoeppner, Wagner and Evans.

R Doering, who passed away in 2012 in California was the AD at California Lutheran U in Thousand Oaks.
Bob was a life-long Lutheran of strong faith, committed to Christian service. As an educator he both taught and coached at Lutheran High School, St. Louis; Lutheran High School, Los Angeles; the University of Nevada, Las Vegas, and served as athletic director and chairman of the Physical Education Department at California Lutheran University, Thousand Oaks. He was a member of several Lutheran school boards and served on various church councils. Bob was an active member of Gideons International for forty years.
Traveling, gardening, and activities involving baseball gave Bob pleasure in his spare time. Whatever the activity, Bob would greet each day with enthusiasm and optimism and with a smile for anyone he encountered. Bob is remembered by all who knew him as a caring, thoughtful man. He earned his BS degree from Valparaiso University, Indiana, his MS from Washington University, St. Louis, and his PhD from the University of Southern California.

http://obits.dignitymemorial.com/dignity-memorial/obituary.aspx?n=Robert-Doering&lc=4620&pid=155753758&mid=498395

D Koenig is a former vice president and Athletic Director at Valpo. His daughter is married to former VU assistant coach and Valpo High School basketball coach, Joe Otis. Dick Koenig is largely responsible for moving VU into Division 1.

W Wambsganss, I don't know a lot about this one but his relative was a major league baseball player who recorded the only unassisted triple play in the history of the World Series.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Wambsganss

Wambsganss was a native of Cleveland, Ohio. He attended Concordia College and studied for the ministry before entering professional baseball.

agibson

Wow - the names on the paddle could be the German club instead of a fraternity. LCMS indeed.