• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Horizon League Postseason Bids 2016

Started by agibson, March 11, 2016, 12:54:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agibson

I don't if there's been an official announcement, but it sounds like Milwaukee (the AD?) pulled the cord on any post-season possibilities. One of their players posted a long thread on twitter about it.

The Oakland AD's announced "Vegas or bust", apparently turning down other offers. They'd earlier been linked (nothing definitive) to the Vegas tournament in at least one news article.

The Oakland AD
http://www.goldengrizzlies.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/031116aad.html

talksalot

Nothing about Wright State yet, ... ya wonder if a 16-15 UDM team would even be considered?

agibson

The Milwaukee newspaper picks up the post-season story
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/panthers/uwm-will-pass-on-postseason-basketball-tournaments-b99685711z1-371817131.html

John Templon has Detroit on the "has expressed interest" list
http://www.nycbuckets.com/cbicit-tracking/
we'll see... A winning record only if you include the non-D1's.

a3uge

I mentioned this in another thread, but UWM fans seem pretty complacent with mediocrity, given where the program was at 10 years ago. It's amazing how big the meltdown is over a team that finished 5th in the weakest the Horizon League has ever been. This has been their 10th consecutive season where they weren't in the top 100 RPI.

I think Milwaukee should play in the CBI, but I don't think the meltdown is warranted.  I think Milwaukee had a disappointing season and played short of their potential.

blackpantheruwm

Quote from: a3uge on March 11, 2016, 04:47:19 PM
I mentioned this in another thread, but UWM fans seem pretty complacent with mediocrity, given where the program was at 10 years ago. It's amazing how big the meltdown is over a team that finished 5th in the weakest the Horizon League has ever been. This has been their 10th consecutive season where they weren't in the top 100 RPI.

I think Milwaukee should play in the CBI, but I don't think the meltdown is warranted.  I think Milwaukee had a disappointing season and played short of their potential.

I think you should venture over to the Freak board or onto Twitter to see how complacent they are with this decision to turn down the postseason.

Fans have been calling for Jeter's head for 9 years. There's a bunch of us who don't call for his head because we know what's been getting in his way forever. Donors, especially the big ones, know a lot more than us, and they're steadfast in support for him.

In any case, I think the Jeter era ends in 2016-17, since he's only under contract through June of next year. After all that came out today, I'm just hoping someone else hires his replacement.

a3uge

From her response on your site:

http://pantheru.com/2016/03/amanda-braun-is-essentially-rachel-phelps-from-major-league/

Parents,

I appreciate you reaching out and advocating for Player 1, Player 2 and their teammates and understand that you are disappointed with the way the men's basketball season ended and with my decision about postseason participation. I take very seriously my decisions that impact the lives of our student-athletes and want to share with you how I came to the decision to not enter the CBI or CIT men's basketball events. 

First, it is important to share with you that all of the decisions regarding our sport programs are driven by our program goals and how we define success. Decisions are also heavily influenced by financial considerations and the responsible use of our resources. And finally, the experience of our student-athletes is always a top priority in every decision we make. 

For our men's basketball program, our goal every year is to be a top 100 NCAA Division I program. Specific to our conference, our goal is to win the Horizon League and our expectation is to finish among the top three in the Horizon League on an annual basis. These are very realistic goals and expectations because we financially support the program at the top of league.  

As you know, this year men's basketball did not achieve the competitive goals or expectations for the program.  The team will not be selected for the NCAA or NIT tournaments and our option with a fifth-place finish is to participate in events that are not aspirational for our program.  Because of this, it is difficult to justify participation in the CBI and CIT events and the financial commitment required for them.  

As I weighed the program goals and the use of our resources, I also considered our student-athletes' experience. More impactful experiences for the team are events such as a summer foreign tour and exempt tournaments during the regular season similar to those we have participated in recently (Cable Car Classic, Gulf Coast Showcase, MGM Grand Main Event). We will continue to direct our resources to these more positively impactful events as we elevate our men's basketball program and work to achieve our goals. 

Even though we did not attain our competitive goals this year, we are extremely proud of the accomplishments of our men's basketball student-athletes. The work the team has done in the classroom this year, compiling a program-best 3.104 grade-point average in the Fall 2015 term, along with the work they have done in the community, is truly commendable.

I understand if this news is difficult for you to accept and hope that the information I have shared is at least somewhat helpful to you. Thank you again for taking the time to reach out.  

Sincerely,

Amanda

Go Panthers!

Amanda Braun

Director of Athletics

University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee

Yeah, I sort of agree with her that the team was well short of their goal. I'm really okay with not rewarding an underachieving team, and I'm guessing it's a bit of a play on Jeter.

I think the CBI and CIT tournaments are pretty pointless. Playing other mediocre mid majors and maybe a 5 conference win power 5 team... Meh. I doubt it really affects recruiting - maybe the trip to Vegas would be a good draw, but playing Siena on a Monday night in March? Just hard to get worked up over.

a3uge

At least, comments like these seem like gross overreactions:

Just sad. The day basketball died at Milwaukee.

I will continue to wear my Milwaukee basketball shirts under my work clothes. Sometimes it's just the little things.

It's hard to watch March Madness knowing we are on the opposite end of the spectrum.

And after 25 years as a season-ticket holder and supporting this program through thick and thin, I'm out as soon as this group of players and coaches are done.

I love the many friends I've made through these years and I'll cherish them forever, but I just can't put myself through this any more.

This school doesn't behave like it even wants to have scholarship basketball, let alone a high-level program, so I'm done.

So long, old friends. I love you guys!

blackpantheruwm

Oh I definitely agree that we didn't meet expectations. But when they invite us to play, and we want to play - we being the coaches, players, donors, fans, everyone other than the athletic director - we should play.

You guys are coming at this from a different angle than us. You've been in a couple of these tournaments. We only had the one in 2012, and we never expected to do well that year. This team was the 22nd-unluckiest team (KenPom) in the country - they deserve to keep playing.

agibson

Green Bay gets the 14. Better than many expected.

Against Texas A&M, maybe the last of the 3 seeds? #12 KenPom defense (almost as good as Valpo), #36 offense, #17 overall.

Compare Green Bay 168/96/117 overall.

Did this guy picking the winers even mention Green Bay? Went straight to the Texas - Texas A&M game in the round of 32. OK, there he did finally briefly mention Green Bay.

agibson

I notice that Green Bay's only a dog by 12.5 or 13 points.

agibson

Quote from: agibson on March 13, 2016, 05:17:51 PMGreen Bay gets the 14. Better than many expected.

#55 on the S curve. So, best of the 14 seeds.

I've not heard about any post-season for the rest of the conference... Two bids would be the lowest in recent memory for the Horizon League.

valpotx

They only got a 14 because so many upsets occurred in conference tournaments.  They would have been a 15/16 if most #1 seeds had won
"Don't mess with Texas"

agibson

Rumor on Twitter os that the CIT is mysteriously missing three teams, and that the Vegas tournament may fold. It was somewhat more expensive than the others, a two-week delayed start, and no chance to make up some of the cost with home games.

agibson

Now I hear rumors of a modified format, and an 11 CDT announcement.

Oakland fans must be sweating.

talksalot

Wikipedia update has two teams listed for the Vegas 16:  Boise State, Oakland

This is a change from a few hours ago...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Vegas_16_Tournament

agibson

Quote from: talksalot on March 14, 2016, 10:33:56 AM
Wikipedia update has two teams listed for the Vegas 16:  Boise State, Oakland

This is a change from a few hours ago...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Vegas_16_Tournament

Weird. Just kind of dropped in there in plain text.

The plot continues to thicken on twitter
[tweet]709417082493005824[/tweet]
but no announcement yet.

How did it shake out for the first CBI?

I seem to remember that Valpo had its place figured out by 2 AM or so; I don't remember if that became public then, or was only known the next morning. I don't even remember for _sure_ that the bracket was out Monday morning, but it seems likely.

agibson

[tweet]709494787796238336[/tweet]

Their social media person is a pro. Hitting just the right tone, IMO, for an upstart tournament in Vegas. Check them out.

Kyle321n

Similar to a lot of things the NCAA does involving numbers, the Vegas 16 only has 8 teams. Big 10 has 14 teams, Big 12 has 10 teams... Next up the Sweet 16 will actually have 32 teams.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

FWalum

Quote from: Kyle321n on March 15, 2016, 08:51:34 AMNext up the Sweet 16 will actually have 32 teams.
The selection committee's obvious bias and elevated criticism from the media, this year in particular, could be an impetus for expansion. So you might have something there...  ;D
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

agibson

Quote from: FWalum on March 15, 2016, 09:05:40 AMThe selection committee's obvious bias and elevated criticism from the media, this year in particular, could be an impetus for expansion. So you might have something there...

If Kampe gets his way and the tournament goes to 96 (with a bunch of play-in games on the Dayton schedule, maybe not a bad idea if you can guarantee some respect for mids) it could probably happen...  The whole first round/second round confusion could become more legit.

VULB#62

A little well-deserved nostalgia.  USAToday ran this perennial story:  !5 Greatest Buzzer-Beaters in NCAA History.  Of course VU's is one of them, but the great thing with this article is that the featured headline picture is not Christian Laettner, or any of the Power 5s, it's VALPO!

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/03/the-15-greatest-buzzer-beaters-in-ncaa-tournament-history-christian-laettner-duke-bryce-drew

a3uge

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 15, 2016, 01:43:46 PM

A little well-deserved nostalgia.  USAToday ran this perennial story:  !5 Greatest Buzzer-Beaters in NCAA History.  Of course VU's is one of them, but the great thing with this article is that the featured headline picture is not Christian Laettner, or any of the Power 5s, it's VALPO!

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/03/the-15-greatest-buzzer-beaters-in-ncaa-tournament-history-christian-laettner-duke-bryce-drew
So the NCAA tournament is way more interesting when the little guy has a chance - and then they make a ton of money and generate a bunch of publicity using media of these upsets.

Then they turn around and screw the little guy so mediocre teams littered with cheating violations can play each other in games that nobody will remember or care about.

Makes sense.

talksalot

They certainly hope Yale or Iona can do something big... Not a lot of room otherwise!

agibson

With the Vegas 16 schedule, it's going to be unreasonably difficult to be the last Horizon League team playing this season.

Win tonight and we have a chance. But, we need to get into the NIT Final to guarantee it.