• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Donlon out at Wright State

Started by oklahomamick, March 16, 2016, 02:32:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StlVUFan

Different situation

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

bbtds

Quote from: StlVUFan on March 22, 2016, 08:29:31 AM
Different situation

Replacing a good coach in the Horizon League. I don't see much difference. When it comes to new coaches you must realize none of the old coach shows except for the players that stay behind. The most they last is 3 or 4 years usually.

StlVUFan

We're talking about what YSU would do if they fired Slocum, not what they'd do if he move up to a better job.  The latter is actually a much better situation for the school.

valpotx

This is a very surprising list of coaching candidates to me:

Marty Simmons (Evansville), Scott Nagy (South Dakota State), and Joe Dooley (Florida Gulf Coast)

Jeff Goodman tweeted that these candidates were all met by the Wright State players.  I can understand Dooley wanting to leave the Atlantic Sun, but Nagy and Simmons?  Simmons had a great year at Evansville, and Nagy is coming off an NCAA berth in a conference that was 10 spots higher on the conference RPI standings this year.
"Don't mess with Texas"

a3uge

Quote from: valpotx on April 03, 2016, 11:32:24 AM
This is a very surprising list of coaching candidates to me:

Marty Simmons (Evansville), Scott Nagy (South Dakota State), and Joe Dooley (Florida Gulf Coast)

Jeff Goodman tweeted that these candidates were all met by the Wright State players.  I can understand Dooley wanting to leave the Atlantic Sun, but Nagy and Simmons?  Simmons had a great year at Evansville, and Nagy is coming off an NCAA berth in a conference that was 10 spots higher on the conference RPI standings this year.
$$$$$$$$$

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

usc4valpo

I hope Billy Donlon gets a good job, he is a decent coach and a fine North Shore Chicago product. I think he get a bad rap for no decent reason.

valpo64

Simmons a candidate at WSU?  Maybe he was on the hot seat too.  I wonder what his thoughts are concerning the MVC and HL.

a3uge

South Dakota State's Scott Nagy expected to take the Wright State job, sources told ESPN.

So Wright State just got a better coach than before, one with much more success than Donlon.

UWM... your turn.

SanityLost17

I would argue this is a big step down for Nagy.   SDSU has much more name recognition, great facilities, and has the Summit League conference tournament literally in their own backyard.     

This is a home run for Wright State and the Horizon League! 

a3uge

Quote from: SanityLost17 on April 03, 2016, 10:16:29 PM
I would argue this is a big step down for Nagy.   SDSU has much more name recognition, great facilities, and has the Summit League conference tournament literally in their own backyard.     

This is a home run for Wright State and the Horizon League!
It's a step up, because like I said, $$$.

valpotx

Wright State pays more than South Dakota State??  That doesn't make sense to me.  Plus, he has been there for 20+ years.
"Don't mess with Texas"

a3uge

Quote from: valpotx on April 03, 2016, 10:28:51 PM
Wright State pays more than South Dakota State??  That doesn't make sense to me.  Plus, he has been there for 20+ years.
Yes. Nagy was making 180k. Wouldn't be surprised if Wright State doubled it.

wh

Just when I'd given up any hope for the HL, Wright State hits an absolute home run with the Nagy hire.

VULB#62

Since the beginning of the 2014-2015 season, the HL coaching carosel has turned over 7 of its 10 HBBCs in two years.

UWGB
UIC
UWM
WSU
UDM
NKU
Valpo (if Bryce leaves)

Wow!

Pathfinder

Quote from: SanityLost17 on April 03, 2016, 10:16:29 PMI would argue this is a big step down for Nagy.   SDSU has much more name recognition, great facilities, and has the Summit League conference tournament literally in their own backyard.     

Not remotely. Besides paying a whole lot more, WSU has a much bigger basketball budget, double the attendance, a much more fertile recruiting area, better facilities, less conference travel, and -- wait, you think South Dakota State has more name recognition?

But we agree - great hire for the Raiders.

blackpantheruwm

Scott Nagy is an absolute home run. I've been told his salary is north of $500,000.

Get ready to pay up for Bryce's replacement. Our next coach is going to make less than Rob - add in the clueless AD and our coaching pool is...um...questionable.

What I mean by that is there's no sure-fire winner like Nagy in there. Everyone has question marks.

a3uge

Quote from: blackpantheruwm on April 05, 2016, 08:41:11 PM
Scott Nagy is an absolute home run. I've been told his salary is north of $500,000.

Get ready to pay up for Bryce's replacement. Our next coach is going to make less than Rob - add in the clueless AD and our coaching pool is...um...questionable.

What I mean by that is there's no sure-fire winner like Nagy in there. Everyone has question marks.
Except Valpo can go inside for cheaper than Bryce ($377k).

FWalum

Quote from: blackpantheruwm on April 05, 2016, 08:41:11 PM

I like Nagy, but not sure this is the home run everyone is making it out to be.  He has a tremendous home court winning record and played the conference tournament literally in his backyard. Was great in D2, but wasn't even .500 his first 6 years in D1 and his record away from home even during this last great run of 6 years is only .500.  You are taking this guy completely out of his "home" environment, it might take a few years for him to get his footing and I am not sure the "home" environment at Wright State will ever match that of SDSU.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

valpopal

Donlon has been hired as an assistant at Michigan.

VULB#62

Good for him.  I liked the way his kids came to play.