• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Rob Jeter fired at Milwaukee

Started by oklahomamick, March 17, 2016, 11:02:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kyle321n

So much for having some consistency in the coaching in the HL.

Again, another coach who has been pretty solid gets fired and YSU extends Slocum.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

covufan

I don't get this one either.  I can understand the desire of the AD or other administration to be in the NCAA or NIT more often, but realistically one can really only hope that UWM is a top 140 team, and in the good years a top 75.  Which they have been. :crazy: :crazy:

a3uge

Quote from: covufan on March 17, 2016, 11:47:39 AM
I don't get this one either.  I can understand the desire of the AD or other administration to be in the NCAA or NIT more often, but realistically one can really only hope that UWM is a top 140 team, and in the good years a top 75.  Which they have been. :crazy: :crazy:

In terms of RPI (which is primarily how seeding is determined for seeds 12-16) they haven't been inside 100 since 2005.

VULB#62

Quote from: Kyle321n on March 17, 2016, 11:05:31 AM

Again, another coach who has been pretty solid gets fired and YSU extends Slocum.

Between the mishandled switch of the HLT to Detroit (contrary to Spin Dr. LeCrone's glowing remarks) and these two new coaching changes with firing of coaches who both won 20 or more games this season, the HL does not look very stable or up-and-coming at this point and the transitions involved in both will probably account for an even lower conference rating for at least one year or maybe more.  Am I correct in that assumption or will these two new replacement coaches that will be hired (whoever they are) immediately kick the league status up a notch next year?

a3uge

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 17, 2016, 12:08:58 PM
Quote from: Kyle321n on March 17, 2016, 11:05:31 AM

Between the mishandled switch of the HLT to Detroit (contrary to Spin Dr. LeCrone's glowing remarks) and these two new coaching changes with firing of coaches who both won 20 or more games this season, the HL does not look very stable or up-and-coming at this point and the transitions involved in both will probably account for an even lower conference rating for at least one year or maybe more.  Am I correct in that assumption or will these two new replacement coaches that will be hired (whoever they are) immediately kick the league status up a notch next year?

Thinking long term, UWM and Wright State both didn't have decent classes coming in, and both teams are losing their 2 best players. Now was a good time to pull the trigger. I think those two programs were stuck in mediocrity and not progressing. UWM went from a Sweet 16 team, and Wright State went from a tournament team to perennial 150 RPI, 15 seed teams. Both those programs can be successful, and should be at least in the NIT every 4 or 5 years. Firing a coach that has been consistently mediocre (in terms of overall D1) might backfire in the short term, but at least they're trying to elevate their programs long term. I don't think Donlon and Jeter were ever going to turn those programs into mid major powers.

We sit here and complain about how terrible the league has become, how there's only 1 team in the top 100 this year - well when these programs show a pulse and aren't happy with meagre results, we shouldn't jump on their throats.

valpotx

Two dumb decisions.  These were the only 2 coaches I liked in the HL, outside of Drew.  If Milwaukee and Wright State are making these changes, why are Slocum, Waters, and McCallum still around??
"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

In the meantime, the overall HL RPI continues to slide (noting the comment about the less than full cupboards at UWM and WSU for next year) and may slide even faster because of the firings/transitions. Selfishly, that does not bode well for Valpo in terms of our RPI going forward does it? We go into next season's scheduling with an even bigger HL albatross than this year hanging around our neck. And Monmouth's plight has shown that even good OOC scheduling doesn't guarantee an at-large.  Man, it's tough being a mid-major  :banghead:

bbtds

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 17, 2016, 12:08:58 PMand the transitions involved in both will probably account for an even lower conference rating for at least one year or maybe more.  Am I correct in that assumption or will these two new replacement coaches that will be hired (whoever they are) immediately kick the league status up a notch next year?

Looking at how Green Bay did in their hiring of Darner it is not for sure that the replacement coach will have a worse season than the previous coach. Of course you have to remember which coach Darner was replacing at GB and how that coach has done at the school he moved on to.

VULB#62

Quote from: bbtds on March 17, 2016, 01:19:54 PM
Quote from: VULB#62 on March 17, 2016, 12:08:58 PMand the transitions involved in both will probably account for an even lower conference rating for at least one year or maybe more.  Am I correct in that assumption or will these two new replacement coaches that will be hired (whoever they are) immediately kick the league status up a notch next year?

Looking at how Green Bay did in their hiring of Darner it is not for sure that the replacement coach will have a worse season than the previous coach. Of course you have to remember which coach Darner was replacing at GB and how that coach has done at the school he moved on to.

Roger that.

a3uge

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 17, 2016, 12:45:53 PM
In the meantime, the overall HL RPI continues to slide (noting the comment about the less than full cupboards at UWM and WSU for next year) and may slide even faster because of the firings/transitions. Selfishly, that does not bode well for Valpo in terms of our RPI going forward does it? We go into next season's scheduling with an even bigger HL albatross than this year hanging around our neck. And Monmouth's plight has shown that even good OOC scheduling doesn't guarantee an at-large.  Man, it's tough being a mid-major  :banghead:
NKU has a great class coming in, and UIC literally can't get any worse out of conference. CSU should also be much better.

But this conference has been struggling with recruiting because we have don't have any tournament wins to brag about anymore. That was a big sell from the top-down and it's why the conference was still in good shape after Butler. UWM and Wright State haven't been close to a team capable of winning in the tournament because they've haven't been close to the top 100. Switching coaches that have been mediocre isn't a bad thing for the conference.

oklahomamick

In two years, the HL lost 4 coaches from the 10 programs.  Almost half the programs had to replace coaches in the last two years.  Slocum still has a job? 

The performance of Green Bay's new coach and the recruiting class of UIC's new coach may have sparked the AD's at Milwaukee and Wright St. to thinking they could do better.

CRUSADERS!!!

VULB#62

Quote from: a3uge on March 17, 2016, 01:34:59 PM
NKU has a great class coming in, and UIC literally can't get any worse out of conference. CSU should also be much better.

But this conference has been struggling with recruiting because we have don't have any tournament wins to brag about anymore. That was a big sell from the top-down and it's why the conference was still in good shape after Butler. UWM and Wright State haven't been close to a team capable of winning in the tournament because they've haven't been close to the top 100. Switching coaches that have been mediocre isn't a bad thing for the conference.

In the long run that's what we all hope for, but, of course, no guarantees.  Short-term (the next two years, and especially next season with Alec and Derrik playing together) there's the distinct possibility that the league might bottom out before it swings back up.  Darner really surprised in his very first year. Glad for him and GB. That kind of turn around may not happen at these other two.  A lot has to do with how the new guys are supported from the get-go.  Generally, a coach gets fired, and the next coach is stupid if he does not condition his job acceptance on the administration correcting the tangible things that might have held the predecessor back (for argument sake let's use an insufficient recruiting budget, or inadequate locker or practice facilities).  Those corrections take time to have an impact.  I don't know that much about UWM and WSU, but I seem to have gotten the impression that both will need to up the support ante to make all of this happen.

vu72

Great. Now Milwaukee will also be coming after Bryce.   :o
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

a3uge

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 17, 2016, 01:57:59 PM
Quote from: a3uge on March 17, 2016, 01:34:59 PM

In the long run that's what we all hope for, but, of course, no guarantees.  Short-term (the next two years, and especially next season with Alec and Derrik playing together) there's the distinct possibility that the league might bottom out before it swings back up.  Darner really surprised in his very first year. Glad for him and GB. That kind of turn around may not happen at these other two.  A lot has to do with how the new guys are supported from the get-go.  Generally, a coach gets fired, and the next coach is stupid if he does not condition his job acceptance on the administration correcting the tangible things that might have held the predecessor back (for argument sake let's use an insufficient recruiting budget, or inadequate locker or practice facilities).  Those corrections take time to have an impact.  I don't know that much about UWM and WSU, but I seem to have gotten the impression that both will need to up the support ante to make all of this happen.

Yeah, there's often turmoil for a couple years after switching coaches - but I think Jeter and Donlon were leaving the cupboard bare anyways. Both teams would be projected towards the bottom of the league. They're good coaches, but terrible recruiters. Instead of waiting another year on the road to nowhere with subpar recruits, they're making a switch at a better time.

I think both programs can attract decent coaches/recruiters - ones that can take either program to the top 100.

And YSU is insane for keeping Slocum. I think McCallum needs to go as well.

oklahomamick

Quote from: a3uge on March 17, 2016, 02:10:29 PMThey're good coaches, but terrible recruiters.

McCallum is the opposite of this. 
CRUSADERS!!!

milwvu04

Quote from: vu72 on March 17, 2016, 02:05:10 PM
Not if  :crazy: Sen. Lena Taylor has anything to say about it.

http://www.wisn.com/news/sen-lena-taylor-confronts-uwm-athletics-over-jeter-firing/38570090

QuoteTaylor also said diversity in leadership at UWM could not be ignored.

"You need people like that as a part of UWM to change what I would call a 'legacy' of not doing good around diversity," she said.

Taylor later said she and Braun plan to meet to talk about her concerns.

a3uge

Quote from: milwvu04 on March 18, 2016, 02:28:24 PM
Quote from: vu72 on March 17, 2016, 02:05:10 PM
Not if  :crazy: Sen. Lena Taylor has anything to say about it.

http://www.wisn.com/news/sen-lena-taylor-confronts-uwm-athletics-over-jeter-firing/38570090

QuoteTaylor also said diversity in leadership at UWM could not be ignored.

"You need people like that as a part of UWM to change what I would call a 'legacy' of not doing good around diversity," she said.

Taylor later said she and Braun plan to meet to talk about her concerns.
Another gem by Looney "don't you know who I am"  Lena.

VU75

Quote from: vu72 on March 17, 2016, 02:05:10 PMGreat. Now Milwaukee will also be coming after Bryce. 

Maybe not Bryce but I imagine Greg Tonagel must be on the short list for a number of mid majors. 

covufan

Quote from: VU75 on March 19, 2016, 09:26:27 PM
Quote from: vu72 on March 17, 2016, 02:05:10 PMGreat. Now Milwaukee will also be coming after Bryce.

Maybe not Bryce but I imagine Greg Tonagel must be on the short list for a number of mid majors.
i would hope that the Milwaukee and Wright State situations don't meet his criteria for "right situation ". I hope he gets some interview time this spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vu72

Quote from: covufan on March 20, 2016, 09:25:56 AM

Quote from: VU75 on March 19, 2016, 09:26:27 PM

i would hope that the Milwaukee and Wright State situations don't meet his criteria for "right situation ". I hope he gets some interview time this spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guys, it was a joke.  My smiley face got removed!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpo64

Now that the firing ball has started, let's hope that LaCrone is next

historyman

Quote from: valpo64 on March 21, 2016, 10:16:35 AM
Now that the firing ball has started, let's hope that LaCrone is next

I can't remember when a commissioner has been fired. That doesn't mean it hasn't happened recently but can anyone remember it happening?
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

usc4valpo

StlVUFan

Quote from: a3uge on March 17, 2016, 12:30:48 PMWe sit here and complain about how terrible the league has become, how there's only 1 team in the top 100 this year - well when these programs show a pulse and aren't happy with meagre results, we shouldn't jump on their throats.

There's a difference between showing a pulse and acting much more macho than you have a right to.  It's great to say, win the league or you're fired, but that's something I expect more from power conference teams (where it's make the NCAA tourney or you're fired).  I think both ADs are grading their coaches on a standard they couldn't possibly live up to given the resources they have at their disposal.  I could be wrong of course, but my perception is that Donlon especially overachieved.  As for his recruiting prowess, I can't evaluate that, so maybe he's not as good.  I would point out that Donlon has to recruit against Dayton, among other things.  I don't know how WSU's facilities compare to UD or other schools near there, but I have a feeling Donlon's handicapped on that score.  What I can see plainly is that he gets the most out of his players and has taken them to the title game 3 of the last 4 years.

Yesterday's DDN article indicated that Bob Grant is responding to fan unrest, which started steamrolling in November -- ironically during the time when they had an epidemic injuries.  When they got healthy, they won most of the time, but I get the impression the fans don't care much about the multiple injuries.  Grant -- you can tell from the article -- loves to flex his muscle.  He wants to get back to WSU being the bullies of the HL.

I thought Chris Mack put it perfectly the other day: "I don't know who WSU is pretending to be, but ..."  Nailed it.  WSU (and UWM, I think) are *pretending* they are a BCS school for which years like this year are absolutely not to be tolerated.  The problem isn't the aspiration.  The problem is they are *not* a BCS school, not even close, and most of that is beyond their control.  Treating your coach like he should be able to conquer the world when you're in the HL is insane in my opinion.

Who do you think is going to *want* that job, and are they going to be as good as Donlon was?  Actually, that question appears to be more appropos for UWM, where there is clearly huge unrest over what is going on up there.

If both strike gold and return to former glory, I will be very happy.  But it is hard for me to see it now.

When you challenge your team, there's a difference between stretch goals and stress goals.  The former addresses our tendency to get complacent and are good.  The latter stress us out and guarantee failure.  I see WSU and UWM operating with stress goals, and that concerns me.