• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Rob Jeter fired at Milwaukee

Started by oklahomamick, March 17, 2016, 11:02:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aevans12

Panther players are starting to make their way onto the transfer wire. This could eliminate them as a legitimate contender for quite some time. It is pretty sad things came to this and will be bad for the league.

motowntitan

Quote from: aevans12 on March 23, 2016, 02:44:19 PM
Panther players are starting to make their way onto the transfer wire. This could eliminate them as a legitimate contender for quite some time. It is pretty sad things came to this and will be bad for the league.

How so?

Jeter, Donlon, and McCallum are all .500 coaches.  Each had 1-2 good years, surrounded by bad to mediocre.  Maybe the schools can all hire better coaches.  Each coach had plenty of time to prove himself.
Note: McCallum has not been fired yet.

StlVUFan

Quote from: motowntitan on March 23, 2016, 07:58:54 PM

How so?

Jeter, Donlon, and McCallum are all .500 coaches.  Each had 1-2 good years, surrounded by bad to mediocre.  Maybe the schools can all hire better coaches.  Each coach had plenty of time to prove himself.

I can't speak about WSU, but UWM does not strike me as a typical firing.  I am very concerned that Braun will have lots of trouble attracting a quality coach and any coach she does hire will have lots of trouble attracting the kind of recruits they are used to, never mind better ones.

The chancellor is also being lobbied heavily to fire her.  Who knows what will happen, but I am not confident in the least that they will right the ship any time soon.

a3uge

Quote from: StlVUFan on March 23, 2016, 08:20:21 PM
Quote from: motowntitan on March 23, 2016, 07:58:54 PM

How so?

I can't speak about WSU, but UWM does not strike me as a typical firing.  I am very concerned that Braun will have lots of trouble attracting a quality coach and any coach she does hire will have lots of trouble attracting the kind of recruits they are used to, never mind better ones.

The chancellor is also being lobbied heavily to fire her.  Who knows what will happen, but I am not confident in the least that they will right the ship any time soon.

While Braun has been fairly incompetent with this whole thing, Jeter was making $450,000+ per year. That type of money can attract a decent coach. They have a decent budget (top 3 in Horizon?) and a nice arena (although their seats are ugly). They're a program that can do better than zero < 100 RPI seasons in the past 10 years.

StlVUFan

The atmosphere up there has been poisoned up there is my point.  A lot of healing is needed before the actions you speak of will mean anything.

Jimmy Lemke can speak to this more authoritatively, of course.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

a3uge

Quote from: StlVUFan on March 23, 2016, 08:53:32 PM
The atmosphere up there has been poisoned up there is my point.  A lot of healing is needed before the actions you speak of will mean anything.

Jimmy Lemke can speak to this more authoritatively, of course.

I think Jimmy's going a little bit overboard. This sort of stuff happens all the time in college programs. Cheating bans (SMU), academic bans (UConn), sex scandals (NKU), poop scandals (UWGB)... These things all blow over quickly. Find a decent coach, and the next thing you're worrying about is having your coach leave for $700,000+.

The Horizon is a good conference still - decent budgets, good salaries. The ceiling of these programs is not a CIT bid, or hopefully a 15 seed in the NCAA tournament because your team played decent for a week stretch. UWM and Wright State are better than that. There's no excuse for IPFW having more top 100 RPI seasons than UWM and Wright State combined in the past 5 years. The incompetent, disgruntled ADs of those two programs weren't holding their basketball teams back - their coaches were. How many more seasons were they going to keep paying Jeter $450,000 until he turned a season that merited less than a 15 seed?

But like I said, it's really amateur hour for Amanda Braun. It's not a death sentence for the program though - they'll get a new coach, with the coaches own guys, and they'll run a new system. They'll be right back to the mediocre CIT-worthy spot the are right now in a couple years... except they'll actually be improving - not stuck in a rut like they've been the past 11 years.

StlVUFan

All I'll say is he's there and you're not ;)

a3uge

Quote from: StlVUFan on March 23, 2016, 10:23:55 PM
All I'll say is he's there and you're not ;)

Like I said, this stuff blows over. Jimmy being an insiderâ„¢ doesn't change my overview, which I think is more level headed than someone with emotional ties to the program.

But don't bookmark this to call me an idiot in 4 years!

StlVUFan

Whatever

oklahomamick

Jordan Johnson (2nd in the nation in assist) is transferring from UWM. 
CRUSADERS!!!

VULB#62

I think the point was that UWM will drop off the table with the defer exodus and as a result the HL will have another bottom feeder for a couple years rather than a middle of the pack program, thus taking the HL RPI even further south.

oklahomamick

Add Akeem Springs and Austin Arians to the list to request.  They have been granted and are free to talk to other schools about potentially transferring.

Sounds like UWM will have a year like CSU had this year.  So yes another anchor.  We already had 4 anchors and a big reason we didn't get an at-large bid.

Another example of how the HL has had a negative impact on the Valpo bball program.  The dumpster fires at other schools directly affect us.  This doesn't even include LeCrone inabilities. 
CRUSADERS!!!

FWalum

Quote from: oklahomamick on March 24, 2016, 07:12:14 AM
While it is a definite possibility, the above statement is far from a certainty.  Read the article http://www.jsonline.com/sports/panthers/3-top-uwm-players-considering-leaving-team-b99693324z1-373273901.html  Just hope the kids are able to do what is best for them. 

Jimmy Lemke (blackpantheruwm) lays forth a pretty reasonable argument that Amanda Braun has been sabotaging Rob Jeter and hence the MBB program in the HoriZone podcasts. If all of these players leave she will have effectively devastated the program's immediate future.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

wh

Quote from: oklahomamick on March 24, 2016, 09:25:57 AM
Add Akeem Springs and Austin Arians to the list to request.  They have been granted and are free to talk to other schools about potentially transferring.

Sounds like UWM will have a year like CSU had this year.  So yes another anchor.  We already had 4 anchors and a big reason we didn't get an at-large bid.

Also, isn't next year going to be a complete rebuild at Wright State? 

wh

Quote from: FWalum on March 24, 2016, 09:36:38 AM
Quote from: oklahomamick on March 24, 2016, 07:12:14 AM
While it is a definite possibility, the above statement is far from a certainty.  Read the article http://www.jsonline.com/sports/panthers/3-top-uwm-players-considering-leaving-team-b99693324z1-373273901.html  Just hope the kids are able to do what is best for them. 

Jimmy Lemke (blackpantheruwm) lays forth a pretty reasonable argument that Amanda Braun has been sabotaging Rob Jeter and hence the MBB program in the HoriZone podcasts. If all of these players leave she will have effectively devastated the program's immediate future.

Jimmy had better be careful before her defenders accuse him of being phobic.   

Kyle321n

Well at least UIC shouldn't be an anchor next year. So you've got CSU, YSU, WSU, UWM for sure and UDM and NKU potentially. 60% anchors, that seems like a good sign for a strong league.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

wh

Quote from: Kyle321n on March 24, 2016, 09:59:06 AM
Well at least UIC shouldn't be an anchor next year. So you've got CSU, YSU, WSU, UWM for sure and UDM and NKU potentially. 60% anchors, that seems like a good sign for a strong league.

Kampe over promising and under delivering has to be factored in, as well. 

covufan

Quote from: FWalum on March 24, 2016, 09:36:38 AMJimmy Lemke (blackpantheruwm) lays forth a pretty reasonable argument that Amanda Braun has been sabotaging Rob Jeter and hence the MBB program in the HoriZone podcasts. If all of these players leave she will have effectively devastated the program's immediate future.

I would like to think that a position such as AD would have only professionals that would/could never do such a thing as what is suggested.  However, I could see where a (myopic) person in such a position, allows their prejudice to carry over into their decision making in regards to someone they don't care for, which would appear to objective outsiders (and realists) as sabotage.  Either way, it is sabotage, and unfortunate even if only a perception to outsiders such as those on this board.

oklahomamick

All-Freshman guard Jared Andrews from Youngstown is transferring. 
CRUSADERS!!!

agibson

I don't know how much is jimmy's rabble rousing and how much is more general discontent. But, he's reported repeated incidents of (named?) significant donors to the university/UWM athletics that say they'll stop giving until the AD is gone.

bbtds

There will be a turn around at UWM. They care too much. It might take the dismissal of their AD but it will happen under a different coach.

wh

Quote from: bbtds on March 25, 2016, 11:06:59 AM
There will be a turn around at UWM. They care too much. It might take the dismissal of their AD but it will happen under a different coach.

I follow their board pretty closely. Lots of passionate guys up there who proudly support Milw. bb. I can understand their frustration.  Their coach is gone and key players have announced their intention to leave. Time will tell whether a coaching change was a good idea, but unquestionably their AD made a bad situation worse by the way she handled it. Milw. is officially in major rebuild mode.

blackpantheruwm

Quote from: wh on March 24, 2016, 09:58:15 AMJimmy had better be careful before her defenders accuse him of being phobic.

They know better than to do that. Supporters of Braun know that two gay people stood up in my wedding - the one donor (I know of) who supports her was a guest at my wedding, and he's in her inner circle.

The blog post where I equated Amanda Braun to Rachel Phelps (fictional owner of the Indians in Major League) barely scratched the surface. That was just me putting out stuff that was at least out there, if not common knowledge. You'll notice that Braun's people didn't threaten me with any action, although according to the aforementioned donor I have "alienated" the fan base.

Have I really though? Go look at the Eunuch board (the name a now former donor gave to the Freak board). That fascist, anonymous-for-his-own-good admin, tight-ass little priss that he is, shut it down for a couple days to clear out a lot of the anti-Braun rhetoric. Notice none of the angry posts in support of Braun were deleted, only those who called her out for her screw-ups. As soon as the admin put it back online, the members of the board revolted - with plenty of them saying they're migrating over to the PantherU Board.

I decided to even take new membership money this month (access to the private premium forum) and donate it to the General Student Scholarship Fund at UWM. So these piss-ant little jerks can't even say I'm making a profit off of that board's member exodus.

Publicly, this battle is being fought by me, Akeem Springs (and a couple other players), state senator (and alum) Lena Taylor, and #1 donor David Nicholas. There are plenty of supporters for us. I've been emboldened by support sent to me by alumni, students, season ticket holders, donors, players (great kids), even some legislators on both sides of the aisle in Madison.

Should we have moved on from Jeter? I think there's an easy argument to make in support of that decision. Even his biggest supporters knew that 2016-17 was likely his last year.

But the A.D., and incredibly 2 of her 3 most recent predecessors, has deliberately sabotaged the basketball program. Why? I don't think Braun - or Andy Geiger or George Koonce before her - really wanted to hurt the program. I think that she and Koonce both wanted their own coach, and were willing to go to pretty ridiculous lengths to make it happen. Koonce had an awful plan to fire the staff and allow Jeter only one assistant to hire, effectively forcing him to quit. Braun was trying to cut into the program at any place she could.

The idea was simple - make the team bad enough that she has the cover to remove the coach. But wouldn't the obvious, better way of doing it been to support the coach as much as possible, with everything he needed, and get him out that way? 5 of Jeter's last 7 years the team won at least 19 games. In 2012-13 the team was so disheartened from going to Kareem and Oscar's house to the on-campus Klotsche Center (makes the ARC look like a palace) that they went 8-24. In 2014-15 the team essentially played a season of exhibition games with the APR ban that had nothing to do with them and went 14-16 (and still won 7 of their last 9).

It is not a stretch at all to say that even general support of the program by the AD would have boosted a team from 19-21 wins a year to 21-24, maybe 22-25 wins a year - how does that affect the program? Hell, she could have gotten a new coach after the 2014 NCAA Tourney run!

But no, let's not allow transfers and redshirts to travel with the team, limiting their practice by as much as 35% during the season. Let's not try and fix the practice situation, worst in the country, even temporarily before the practice facility gets finished. Did you know that the team routinely gets practice ended early because the ultimate frisbee intramurals are about to start? Did you know the players can't shoot outside gym business hours because the policy is they have to have a coach present and only when the gym is open? Did you know the team doesn't have a private gym, but practices on a floor that is booked every hour of every day during the week? I know the Valpo practice situation is far from perfect because of shared-use facilities as well, but there is literally no adequate place for players to put in individual work whenever they want.

Braun says the program is "funded at the highest level in the HL," yet 2014-15 numbers reported to the federal government put the team 4th behind Detroit, Valpo and Cleveland State. There is exactly one place where UWM spends more money than the rest of the conference, and that is the head coach's salary. She's been caught in lies to parents in email, donors, etc. Our #1 donor, David Nicholas, was so incensed that he went on the record with the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel in Gary D'Amato's piece. He's said there's a much bigger story coming, and I think we can expect that one this week since he was with the Badgers in Philly and they lost, and he doesn't leave for the Masters until next week.

We'll see. It's all a tenuous situation. I'm angry. I'm far from the only one, I just happen to be the loudest, most obnoxious one (although a couple fans on Twitter are trying to challenge me on that last one hahaha).

valpopal

Milwaukee has hired Michigan assistant coach LaVall Jordan as its next head coach.

Kyle321n

Not a terrible choice. Former assistant under Lickliter at Butler and Iowa and played in the HL.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer