• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

McCallum Out at Detroit- No Fooling

Started by motowntitan, April 01, 2016, 05:06:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kyle321n

Now is the time on Sprockets when we get the f*ck out of this league.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

motowntitan

Quote from: Kyle321n on April 01, 2016, 05:08:37 PM

Yes, because a team with a 5,000 seat arena, in a small market town, that hasn't won an NCAA tourney game in 18 years will be in great demand.  :crazy:

valpotx

But has a hell of a lot more name recognition in college sports than the University of Detroit ;).

The league is going to be terrible next year, with so many changes.
"Don't mess with Texas"

oklahomamick

Quote from: motowntitan on April 01, 2016, 06:08:01 PM
Quote from: Kyle321n on April 01, 2016, 05:08:37 PMNow is the time on Sprockets when we get the f*ck out of this league.
Yes, because a team with a 5,000 seat arena, in a small market town, that hasn't won an NCAA tourney game in 18 years will be in great demand.  :crazy:

Consistent RPI in the top 100 and league champ of the HL year in and year out.
CRUSADERS!!!

oklahomamick

Quote from: valpotx on April 01, 2016, 06:11:06 PMBut has a hell of a lot more name recognition in college sports than the University of Detroit ;). The league is going to be terrible next year, with so many changes.
Is it University of Detroit or Mercy?  I don't even know what they call themselves anymore.  How about that for name recognition?  They will be able to tell the  new coach that you get to host the conference tourney every year. 
CRUSADERS!!!

a3uge

Again, this is bad short term, but good in the long run. McCallum was a horrible coach - had a bunch of talent but couldn't do much with it. Then the talent dried up and he really couldn't do anything with it.

a3uge

I'm a Horizon League apologist, but coming on to our board to insult our program when yours is a complete cluster**** is rather ridiculous. Troll Valpo on your own board.

oklahomamick

Now that Ray is gone, Detroit is the favorite next year. :lol:

5 new coaches in 2 years at the HL.  shooting 50%.  Not one of the 5 is Slocum  :crazy:
CRUSADERS!!!

BryanEversonPRS

In case you're interested in who might be next up at Detroit, we've got a fairly non-speculative report up at PressRowSports.com.

From someone who covers Oakland [primarily], congrats on the deep NIT run. I was watching the final at a BWW here in Rochester and there was actually a few table of what appeared to be alum cheering the team on, as was I.

usc4valpo

The Horizon league is certainly going through a transition. Time will tell whether this transition will be good or bad.

motowntitan

Quote from: a3uge on April 01, 2016, 06:41:17 PM

I'm a Horizon League apologist, but coming on to our board to insult our program when yours is a complete cluster**** is rather ridiculous. Troll Valpo on your own board.

I wasn't insulting your program, just the fans that think they they belong in a better league.

And I'm not a Horizon league apologist.  All you have to know is a few things:

1) No one (including the might Valpo) has won an NCAA Tournament game since 2011.  Even with all of your accomplishments, it is like being the tallest munchkin, or smartest person at Oakland.
2) All of the Butler money is now gone.

Yet people on here wonder why the league had to move to Detroit for the tourney? No money!  They had to whore out the teams for, what $20k each.

I always root for the Horizon league in the preseason, and meaningful (NCAA/NIT) post season.  I thought you guys were Sweet 16 bound.

The only thing more disappointing than the Horizon league season, has been the Horizon league off season.  I expect us (all of us) to falter again next year.

valpopal

Detroit's 3-star forward, Chris Jenkins, is leaving the program to transfer.

valpotx

This is a crazy time in college basketball, and especially the HL...
"Don't mess with Texas"

Pathfinder

Jenkins stays. Appears report in error. Off Goodman list.

Pathfinder

Reports out of Detroit that Michigan Assistant Bacari Alexander has been hired as new coach.

a3uge

Quote from: Pathfinder on April 20, 2016, 10:01:25 PM
Reports out of Detroit that Michigan Assistant Bacari Alexander has been hired as new coach.

wh

Hopefully, all the recent coaching changes pay dividends for the league. I feel badly for guys like McCallum and Jeter because they didn't do a bad job by any stretch, but sometimes it just takes a fresh face to take that next step.

historyman

"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

vu84v2

While Jeter seemed to have been a pretty good overall coach and McCallum could recruit fairly well, Ray McCallum was the absolute worst coach at managing games and getting a team effort from his players.

historyman

Quote from: vu84v2 on May 09, 2016, 12:11:13 PM
While Jeter seemed to have been a pretty good overall coach and McCallum could recruit fairly well, Ray McCallum was the absolute worst coach at managing games and getting a team effort from his players.
Also his son, the real reason McCallum got to coach at Detroit, has been gone for a while now. It was time for a coach that can win.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valpopal

Coach Alexander has gotten one of his Michigan players to follow him to Detroit. Kameron Chatman, a 4-star from Rivals and a 5-star from Scout will transfer. Coming out of high school had been rated as high as #6 in the nation at the SF position!