• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

David Skara is transferring...

Started by Valpofan00, April 18, 2016, 09:04:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

If cheating on a test is worth a 20-game suspension, how much is stealing while representing your country in China worth?

UCLA players quizzed over alleged shoplifting to remain in China: ESPN

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/21370055/three-ucla-players-arrested-shoplifting-charges-fly-home-team

What do you wanna bet that some university baby coddler will deem that the emotional distress of not being allowed to leave China with their teammates is punishment enough.

valporun

Quote from: wh on November 11, 2017, 01:35:57 PM
If cheating on a test is worth a 20-game suspension, how much is stealing while representing your country in China worth?

UCLA players quizzed over alleged shoplifting to remain in China: ESPN

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/21370055/three-ucla-players-arrested-shoplifting-charges-fly-home-team

What do you wanna bet that some university baby coddler will deem that the emotional distress of not being allowed to leave China with their teammates is punishment enough.

This ordeal will be covered by Big Baller Brand...

agibson

Quote from: wh on November 11, 2017, 01:35:57 PMWhat do you wanna bet that some university baby coddler will deem that the emotional distress of not being allowed to leave China with their teammates is punishment enough.

It's not academic. Probably at Valpo this would be two games, like Burton and Sorolla, right? They've missed one already, they'll miss more than another as they wait in China for the legal process.

Bad situation for the students, horrible press for UCLA and NCAA.

FWalum

Quote from: agibson on November 12, 2017, 10:10:21 AM
Quote from: wh on November 11, 2017, 01:35:57 PMWhat do you wanna bet that some university baby coddler will deem that the emotional distress of not being allowed to leave China with their teammates is punishment enough.

It's not academic. Probably at Valpo this would be two games, like Burton and Sorolla, right? They've missed one already, they'll miss more than another as they wait in China for the legal process.

Bad situation for the students, horrible press for UCLA and NCAA.
Which begs the question, how in the world are they keeping up with academics while they're under house arrest in China.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

VU2014

Quote from: FWalum on November 12, 2017, 01:45:03 PM
Which begs the question, how in the world are they keeping up with academics while they're under house arrest in China.

Most major power programs have their student-athletes take online classes so they don't even have to go to classes. That's one way how they avoid the "student" part of student-athlete.

valpo64

The power conferences may have athletes go the on-line route but I do know that my granddaughter has had a number of IU basketball players in her classes at Bloomington.  Of course I must add that perhaps IU is not a major program  :)   :)    After the way they played vs. ISU, perhaps they should do the on-line thing and spend more time in the gym.

bigmosmithfan1

I would like an explanation from the NCAA why the guy at the midmajor lost 20 games and the remainder of his senior season, but the player who transfers to a P5 only loses 9 games. I imagine VU and Jubril's family attorneys would be interested in having the NCAA answer that question in front of a judge as well.

wh

Quote from: valpo64 on November 12, 2017, 04:38:51 PM
The power conferences may have athletes go the on-line route but I do know that my granddaughter has had a number of IU basketball players in her classes at Bloomington.  Of course I must add that perhaps IU is not a major program  :)   :)    After the way they played vs. ISU, perhaps they should do the on-line thing and spend more time in the gym.

My education credentials predate the www, so I never had an opportunity to take a class on-line. I do know they're popular, and I can certainly understand the convenience factor and other benefits. That said, I do have a question. In the case of students living in a dorm taking the same on-line class, wouldn't that be an invitation to improperly "collaborate," or are there built-in safeguards for that?  Again, I'm not picking at the validity of on-line classes. It seems like universities everywhere are using them and I'm sure they've been carefully assessed for quality, etc. Just asking a straightforward question.

FWalum

Quote from: VU2014 on November 12, 2017, 02:06:42 PM
Quote from: FWalum on November 12, 2017, 01:45:03 PM

Most major power programs have their student-athletes take online classes so they don't even have to go to classes. That's one way how they avoid the "student" part of student-athlete.
I guess you are probably right. As the husband of a college professor I am aware of online courses, but working in software I also know the internet in China is not as we know it and access I to US academic websites are probably not available to the general public, but then I remembered that they would be in luxury tourist hotels that would have unrestricted access.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

VULB#62

One thing they won't have:  social media sites. Those are not permitted in China. Those Bruins will be catatonic.

agibson

Quote from: FWalum on November 12, 2017, 10:14:25 PMbut then I remembered that they would be in luxury tourist hotels that would have unrestricted access.

It sounds like it's varied a lot over the years, and even month-to-month.

My conference hotel in Beijing a few months ago didn't seem to have any special privileges. No google, no facebook, no twitter, no NY Times.

But, VPN's are widely used and not too expensive. They might slow down your connection considerably, but they should allow unrestricted internet access.

wh

Quote from: wh on November 12, 2017, 05:27:17 PM
Quote from: valpo64 on November 12, 2017, 04:38:51 PM

My education credentials predate the www, so I never had an opportunity to take a class on-line. I do know they're popular, and I can certainly understand the convenience factor and other benefits. That said, I do have a question. In the case of students living in a dorm taking the same on-line class, wouldn't that be an invitation to improperly "collaborate," or are there built-in safeguards for that? Again, I'm not picking at the validity of on-line classes. It seems like universities everywhere are using them and I'm sure they've been carefully assessed for quality, etc. Just asking a straightforward question.

Looks like I may have answered my own question about improperly collaborating on answers, albeit slightly different circumstances. Hot off the press:

APPS 3 hours ago
Scandal rocks Ohio State University as 83 students accused of cheating via app

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2017/11/13/scandal-rocks-ohio-state-university-as-83-students-accused-cheating-via-app.html

bbtds

Quote from: wh on November 12, 2017, 05:27:17 PMIn the case of students living in a dorm taking the same on-line class, wouldn't that be an invitation to improperly "collaborate," or are there built-in safeguards for that? 

Good question. I have always wondered how profs that have their students take the class online deal with the issue of "cheating/collaboration/outside influence?"

VULB#62

Quote from: bbtds on November 13, 2017, 12:45:23 PM
Quote from: wh on November 12, 2017, 05:27:17 PMIn the case of students living in a dorm taking the same on-line class, wouldn't that be an invitation to improperly "collaborate," or are there built-in safeguards for that?

Good question. I have always wondered how profs that have their students take the class online deal with the issue of "cheating/collaboration/outside influence?"

Many on-line classes (at least in some of the MBA/MA/MS offerings I have witnessed) actually place a high premium on collaboration. Courses are set up with enollees divided into teams and grades are given based on each group's outputs.  Many outputs are team "projects" that are submitted as jointly prepared papers of one sort or another.  In theory, groups are expected to divide work evenly and monitor their own progress.  In reality, the strongest/smartest/dedicated enrollees usually carry the lesser enrollees along for the ride.

vu84v2

There are tools that allow professors to monitor whether the correct student is taking an exam. It essentially videotapes them for a length of time set by the professor (yeah, that is kind of creepy). You can also require them to go to a testing center to take online exams.  Still, online courses create lots of potential issues for whether the ultimate grade is credible.

Pgmado

Quote from: bbtds on November 13, 2017, 12:45:23 PMGood question. I have always wondered how profs that have their students take the class online deal with the issue of "cheating/collaboration/outside influence?"

I've taught some online courses. The key is to make the material "uncheatable." I've taught a social media class online. I ask them to write papers about their own experiences with social media, things that they couldn't possibly cheat on, unless they were simply making it up.

historyman

Quote from: Pgmado on November 13, 2017, 02:16:31 PMunless they were simply making it up.

I think this is the way I passed most of my tougher classes. If the professor (or Ginger or Maryann) thought I was creative enough I passed anyway.  ;)
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann