• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Heckler Interview 05-02-16

Started by 78crusader, May 02, 2016, 05:28:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

78crusader

President Heckler interview this afternoon at 5 pm on WVUR.

Topics discussed:

(1) Tuition increase of 3.57% (lowest increase in 20 years).  Affordability, quality, retain faculty discussion.  My comment: 3.57% seems reasonable.

(2) New programs added in last 18 months: data science, stats, biomedical engineering, business analytics, and a couple more he listed too fast for me to get.  My comment: impressive.

(3) VU default rate on student loans is 3%.  National average: 11%.  Amount borrowed by families has been going down at VU.  Nationally most families are borrowing more.  My comment: does the 11% include community colleges?  Not answered.

(4) For this fall there is an all time record for applications.  Expect a record size freshman class.  My comment: Let's see if they can beat my class which showed up in the summer of 1974 with 1,087 kids.

(5) Discussion about university-provided health insurance changes.  Interviewer made the huge PC mistake of referring to it as "Obamacare."  My comment: there will be no Obamacare in five years.

(6) Endowment.  The financial crisis in 2008 dropped the endowment from $200 million to a low of $137 million in 2009.  The endowment now is back to where it was, maybe a bit higher.  He referred to the big endowment fund raising campaign, the public roll out for which will be in September.  My comment: A school our size needs to be at $500 million at least. 

(7) Outreach programs with city of Valparaiso. Kind of boring town and gown discussion.  My comment: I don't believe the city has ever fully, truly embraced the University.  Perhaps the location on the edge of town has contributed to this.

(8) The predictable discussion about recruiting international students.  Diversity, diversity, diversity.  20 new engineering students coming from upper NE corner of China, near North Korea.  My comment: can they speak English?

(9) Valpo bball.  High hopes for next year.  My comment: ZERO mention of ARC remodel timeframe.

(10) VU goals for next year: Sept 23 kickoff for the largest fundraising campaign in the history of the school.  Looking at new academic programs to be launched next year. Major examination of strategic plan will take place. 

Paul

VULB#62

Quote from: 78crusader on May 02, 2016, 05:28:58 PM
(9) Valpo bball.  High hopes for next year.  My comment: ZERO mention of ARC remodel timeframe.   :(

(10) VU goals for next year: Sept 23 kickoff for the largest fundraising campaign in the history of the school.  Looking at new academic programs to be launched next year. Major examination of strategic plan will take place. 

Paul

I believe ValpoPal indicated that a major announcement was to be made on Friday of Homecoming. Homecoming is that weekend.  His heads-up was within the context of our discussions of support for the athletic department and the "new ARC."  I still hope that these elements are a part of that fund drive.  But in the light of no mention of the MBB success and support other than high hopes for next year, I worry.

valpopal

Quote from: VULB#62 on May 02, 2016, 06:53:27 PM
(9) Valpo bball.  High hopes for next year.  My comment: ZERO mention of ARC remodel timeframe.   :(

Paul

I believe ValpoPal indicated that a major announcement was to be made on Friday of Homecoming. Homecoming is that weekend.  His heads-up was within the context of our discussions of support for the athletic department and the "new ARC."  I still hope that these elements are a part of that fund drive.  But in the light of no mention of the MBB success and support other than high hopes for next year, I worry.

Just to clarify, my comment in the past was to mark your calendars for a grand celebration on the Friday of Homecoming that would take place in the ARC to which students, alumni, faculty, friends, and members of the community would be invited for announcement of a new major fundraising campaign. I didn't want to suggest in any way that the fundraising was specifically designed for the ARC remodel or even whether that is part of the fundraising campaign goals.

VULB#62

Quote from: valpopal on May 02, 2016, 09:17:58 PM
Quote from: VULB#62 on May 02, 2016, 06:53:27 PM

Paul

Just to clarify, my comment in the past was to mark your calendars for a grand celebration on the Friday of Homecoming that would take place in the ARC to which students, alumni, faculty, friends, and members of the community would be invited for announcement of a new major fundraising campaign. I didn't want to suggest in any way that the fundraising was specifically designed for the ARC remodel or even whether that is part of the fundraising campaign goals.

Pal, I just hope that this fund drive includes a 'segment' dedicated to a 'segment' of the Valpo educational experience: athletics. I am probably wrong, but I can only recall two major fundraising efforts that focused on athletics:  the campaign to build the ARC and FITT. The formwer was successful. The latter not so much but still got stuff built. But how long ago?   Off the NIT run (let's not go back to 1998),  the management of this university have got to wake up to the fact that the greatest vehicle for Valpo brand recognition, increased applications, higher acceptances, increased donations, general public awareness and a source of alumni pride, etc., is not its science department, nor the touring choir, nor the school of business, nor the chapel addition. It's its athletic program. I'm not saying by any means that this should be exclusively an athletic fundraiser, but dammit, management, at least should freakin acknowledge that athletics is a major player in all of this. I'm hoping they do on the 23rd.

Perhaps a look at the Proud to be Valpo drive might act as an indicator of proportionality. Why not apportion campaign donations commensurate with the proportions of donations received in the annual campaign. If that would be the case, I'll bet athletics would make out pretty good.

bbtds

Quote from: VULB#62 on May 02, 2016, 11:21:22 PMPerhaps a look at the Proud to be Valpo drive might act as an indicator of proportionality. Why not apportion campaign donations commensurate with the proportions of donations received in the annual campaign. If that would be the case, I'll bet athletics would make out pretty good.

I'm afraid your hopes and dreams, VULB#62, of an athletic dept at Valpo getting fair treatment for all the awareness it's raises for the university is just not going to happen. I think the alumni and friends with "real" money just don't have a vested interest in Valpo athletics. Maybe Bryce is the only one other than Paul Schrage and Bryce's relationship with Valpo has become somewhat strained due to the under funding of athletics and Bryce was finally turned off and decided not to sacrifice his earning potential for dear old Valpo.

vu72

Quote from: VULB#62 on May 02, 2016, 11:21:22 PMFITT. The former was successful. The latter not so much but still got stuff built. But how long ago?   

FITT (football, Intramural, Tennis and Track) was done in 2004 and 5.  It included the construction of the Tennis complex, Intramural courts as well as the ProGrass surface on Brown Field, new scoreboard, uprights, lights and relocation of the stands to make room for the track which was finished last year.

What some of us overlook is the fact that a couple of years ago the University made a major investment in athletics.  How major?  I don't know, but the acquisition of the 17 acre hospital site wasn't cheap.  That area is obviously planned exclusively for athletics.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

Quote from: vu72 on May 03, 2016, 07:32:28 AM
Quote from: VULB#62 on May 02, 2016, 11:21:22 PMFITT. The former was successful. The latter not so much but still got stuff built. But how long ago?   

FITT (football, Intramural, Tennis and Track) was done in 2004 and 5.  It included the construction of the Tennis complex, Intramural courts as well as the ProGrass surface on Brown Field, new scoreboard, uprights, lights and relocation of the stands to make room for the track which was finished last year.

What some of us overlook is the fact that a couple of years ago the University made a major investment in athletics.  How major?  I don't know, but the acquisition of the 17 acre hospital site wasn't cheap.  That area is obviously planned exclusively for athletics.

As I mentioned FITT got stuff built (and I think the softball diamond came in under that as well(?), but it took 10 years to complete and I would suggest that the completion of the track used the the dormant FITT left-over funds that were laying there for a decade and, with a fresh major donation, finally went to completion. Just saying that what we have witnessed over the last 32 years (since the ARC dedication in 1984) in terms of tangible investment recognition of the role athletics plays in the promotion and recognition of the Valpo national brand has not kept up proportionally.  All the things you listed plus the ARC are things that decent D-I schools (which we think we are) already had and have moved beyond. Heck, most decent D-III private colleges have better, more diverse athletic facilities that support both varsity athletics and student recreation -- without generating any revenue off them. If we are the preeminent Lutheran university in the country, we should reflect that in athletics as well. It's great that we have the Porter Hospital plot, but having it sit there undeveloped makes it look more like a section of town went through urban renewal.  The 30 year plan calls for building a soccer-only stadium on that space.  We know where the footprint of the new Recreation and Athletic Center (the RAC)  ;)  will be, so go ahead and build the soccer stadium allowing for the RAC footprint ASAP.  I know that Mike Avery has had offers from better programs and that it is frustrating for him (and the women's program as well) to schedule practices around football and at odd hours.  It won't be long before he does the same thing as Bryce -- unless a simple thing like a nice D-I soccer facility is in the future.  It would not be as costly as ARC renovation and certainly nowhere near as expensive as building the aforementioned RAC. But it would be a major exhibition of university support for the overall athletic program on a consistent, regular and ongoing basis.

Quote from: bbtds on May 03, 2016, 12:14:51 AM
Quote from: VULB#62 on May 02, 2016, 11:21:22 PMPerhaps a look at the Proud to be Valpo drive might act as an indicator of proportionality. Why not apportion campaign donations commensurate with the proportions of donations received in the annual campaign. If that would be the case, I'll bet athletics would make out pretty good.

I'm afraid your hopes and dreams, VULB#62, of an athletic dept at Valpo getting fair treatment for all the awareness it's raises for the university is just not going to happen. I think the alumni and friends with "real" money just don't have a vested interest in Valpo athletics. Maybe Bryce is the only one other than Paul Schrage and Bryce's relationship with Valpo has become somewhat strained due to the under funding of athletics and Bryce was finally turned off and decided not to sacrifice his earning potential for dear old Valpo.

That may be true bbtds, but that attitude can be changed by President Heckler.  It just takes for him to be more vocal toward those "real money alums" in his support of the role of athletics in helping too make Valpo even better in all aspects of the university's mission.  If he were to forcefully say "we need this to allow the university to grow and meet its mission," I believe he would win over that support.   Don't get me wrong.  I really like Mark (as he signs his emails, so I feel I can call him by his first name) and think he's doing a very good job.  I am just suggesting that he could do more in this one area.

valpotx

Very smart of VU to be adding a Data Science program.  I have hired several Data Scientists at my company in the last year, and the need is only growing.
"Don't mess with Texas"

historyman

Quote from: vu72 on May 03, 2016, 07:32:28 AMWhat some of us overlook is the fact that a couple of years ago the University made a major investment in athletics.  How major?  I don't know, but the acquisition of the 17 acre hospital site wasn't cheap.  That area is obviously planned exclusively for athletics.

If they don't raise the money for the facilities that would be built on the former hospital site in the next 5 to 6 years has the University really done anything major for the athletic department, a department that has put the school in a major national spotlight once again and does tremendous service for the academic community at Valpo, that at all equals what the athletic department has done?

My answer is no and does a great disservice to ML and the athletic department.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valpopal

President Heckler interview this afternoon at 5 pm on WVUR.

Topics discussed:

(4) For this fall there is an all time record for applications.  Expect a record size freshman class.  My comment: Let's see if they can beat my class which showed up in the summer of 1974 with 1,087 kids.

In the good news department during summer's lull in athletics, halfway through summer Focus sessions and I'm told it appears the incoming class will indeed be a record number. I can't offer the exact numbers shared with me, which are only estimates and are still fluctuating anyway, but all indications are very positive, especially considering the state of the economy.  :thumbsup:

VULB#62

Is it a coinkydink that this coincides with the great publicity our NIT run gave us?  Kids (and their parents ) want to be associated with a name university (it's the brag factor). The more publicity our MBB team gets us, the greater the application pool.  That's the way it works   .....I'm telling ya.

bbtds

Quote from: VULB#62 on June 15, 2016, 06:52:16 PM
Is it a coinkydink that this coincides with the great publicity our NIT run gave us?  Kids (and their parents ) want to be associated with a name university (it's the brag factor). The more publicity our MBB team gets us, the greater the application pool.  That's the way it works   .....I'm telling ya.

You really want increased enrollment do the ARC renovation, or at least start on the fieldhouse needed for the ARC renovation. It really is that simple.

vu72

Quote from: VULB#62 on June 15, 2016, 06:52:16 PM
[/b]

You may be right and it sure doesn't hurt.  Nevertheless, I check the stats going into this fall and here is what I found:

Total Census

Fall 2011  3,967
Fall 2012  4,081
Fall 2013  4,512
Fall 2014  4,520
Fall 2015  4,544

So the trend has been up but the biggest jump did come in 2013, the fall after we made the NCAA and played Michigan State. In 2015 we again made it to the NCAA and almost beat Maryland with very little impact.

Two things that have impacted total enrollment that in all likelihood won't help basketball attendance.  First, although total undergrad students were at  a 41 year high, graduate students totaled 916 and was an all time high.  At the same time there were 727 foreign students, which also was an all time high.  Those numbers simply weren't that high 20, 30, 40, 50 years ago, or ever for that matter.  Students from China or Saudi Arabia most likely aren't going to be basketball fans nor is the 35 year old father of three commuting to get his Masters Degree.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

oklahomamick

Are we increasing students for the sake of increasing students?  Usually when quantity is increased quality is sacrificed.  I would rather be top 5 liberal arts school in the midwest than be a little larger student body and be in the top 10....Side note, we were top 3 in 2001. 
CRUSADERS!!!

valpopal

Quote from: oklahomamick on July 06, 2016, 08:08:47 PM
Are we increasing students for the sake of increasing students?  Usually when quantity is increased quality is sacrificed.  I would rather be top 5 liberal arts school in the midwest than be a little larger student body and be in the top 10....Side note, we were top 3 in 2001.

It is too soon to speak about the still-developing incoming class, but without giving specific details or information not public, I can verify the average ACT scores for this past year's freshman class and their average GPA were excellent.

vu72

Quote from: oklahomamick on July 06, 2016, 08:08:47 PM

valpopal was correct in that while student numbers are increasing the quality (i.e. test scores) continue to improve.  The reason for increasing the student body is tied exclusively to productivity as in using our faculty in the best way. It is the same reason we are cutting students and faculty at the law school.  Recruiting is focused on particular majors not just numbers.  If, for example, we have a wonderful chemistry faculty but classes are 5-10, doesn't it make sense to grow the class size to 15-20?  This isn't numbers for numbers sake.

crusadermoe

What are the projected undergrad freshman numbers for Fall 2016-2017?   

It's great to see the graduate students go up and international students enrolling.  That helps cash flow.   What is the trend in undergraduate American students?

Long-term you need alumni who stay loyal to the school, travel back to visit, and send students who are children of alumni.  That keeps whole  families dedicated to VU financially  It would be interesting to know the percentage of enrolled students who are children of alumni and the year to year comparisons.  When I went there, it seemed like a large number.   But I think I heard it was just 8% a few years ago.   But that may well be wrong.  Will the center hold?

valpopal

Quote from: crusadermoe on July 07, 2016, 07:18:22 PM
What are the projected undergrad freshman numbers for Fall 2016-2017?   
I am told current projections seem to place the fall freshman number about 15% higher than last year and 20% higher than two years ago.

vu72

One of you guys asked about legacy enrollment so I checked with my source in admissions.  Here is the report. Looks like a fantastic incoming class!!

I don't have historical info on legacies; just since I've been keeping track through the VAN. When I began doing so in 2003, we had around an 8% freshman legacy enrollment. However as of Friday's report which COULD change between now and August 22, it appears we'll have a freshman legacy enrollment of 18%.

Yes, it looks like we'll have a terrific class of new students coming in, over 100 more than last fall!   

crusadermoe

That's impressive.   Hats off to the enrollment leaders.    The legacy increase is striking!

historyman

Quote from: vu72 on June 23, 2016, 11:53:00 AMTwo things that have impacted total enrollment that in all likelihood won't help basketball attendance.  First, although total undergrad students were at  a 41 year high, graduate students totaled 916 and was an all time high.  At the same time there were 727 foreign students, which also was an all time high.  Those numbers simply weren't that high 20, 30, 40, 50 years ago, or ever for that matter.  Students from China or Saudi Arabia most likely aren't going to be basketball fans nor is the 35 year old father of three commuting to get his Masters Degree.

This is current Valpo board thinking. Valpo could get the students from those that don't participate in athletics, have the money for tuition and want the great education Valpo can provide. There are many of these good students who also need to feel the pride of their university winning in the NCAA competitions. That qualifier is so much more prevalent among newer Americans, recent immigrants, than many people would think. Build up the athletics so those students notice and they will apply. 
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

crusadermoe

I noticed that 78Crusader started  this thread.  I think he always brings a realistic view of the university and brings the facts.   

I truly hope that all the claims of highest enrollment ever and touted US News rankings are solid.  In the Fall of 1974 Valpo took in 1,087 freshman students.  I don't know what percent were residential undergraduates, but I could venture a guess that it was high.   

In terms of US News rank, I wonder how we ranked in the late 70s and the 80s?  I truly think we were #1 in some of those years.  Maybe other posters recall or can look it up with better internet search skills than I have?

vu72

Quote from: crusadermoe on October 17, 2017, 03:44:44 PM
I noticed that 78Crusader started  this thread.  I think he always brings a realistic view of the university and brings the facts.   

I truly hope that all the claims of highest enrollment ever and touted US News rankings are solid.  In the Fall of 1974 Valpo took in 1,087 freshman students.  I don't know what percent were residential undergraduates, but I could venture a guess that it was high.   

In terms of US News rank, I wonder how we ranked in the late 70s and the 80s?  I truly think we were #1 in some of those years.  Maybe other posters recall or can look it up with better internet search skills than I have?

The US News rankings started in 1983 and skipped 1984. In those early years Valpo was No. 1 in the Midwest.  Still, splitting hairs to decide between No. 1 and No. 4, our current ranking out of 173 schools in our category.

VULB#62

As I remember it, in my era (1962-66) Valpo was consistently above 4,000 undergrads. It was almost exclusively an undergrad campus. The Law School was just beginning, I think.

It would be great to get to that number again. 

valpotx

As mentioned several times before, we were #1 for each of my 5 years at Valpo (1999-2004).
"Don't mess with Texas"