• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Keith Carter Denied 5th Year

Started by valpo04, May 11, 2016, 02:11:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpotx

I don't think that SLU should be able to have the say in this circumstance.  It is an absolute joke if he is not given a chance for another year.  Even if he took the year elsewhere because he is graduating, this guy deserves another season.
"Don't mess with Texas"

agibson

Quote from: valpotx on May 13, 2016, 09:57:20 PMI don't think that SLU should be able to have the say in this circumstance.

I'm baldly guessing on the formalities here. I have very little idea how this actually works.

But, it's seems like Keith's probably only entitled to additional playing time in some kind of medical redshirt situation. His limited time at SLU has to have been because of injury, and not just because he was the last guy on the bench.

It's not crazy to me that SLU, or some doctor or trainer involved at the time, gets a say on that issue. But, it'd probably also be reasonable if Keith (and/or Valpo) got to bring in some kind of other expert, if there was a disagreement on the facts. Alas, I wouldn't be shocked if the NCAA didn't allow for that dissenting opinion from the outside expert.

But, I'm still at a loss - why did/does/would SLU have any reason to deny the redshirt?

VULB#62

TX, you are spot on in this case. The facts are 39 minutes of playing time as a freshman, injury, and then a transfer at semester. What does SLU's opinions/prejudices/agendas have to do with this?

And I hope VU cites the many "questionable" previously granted appeals as comparisons/precedents to support Keith's appeal for the waiver.

historyman

I was thinking this was a done deal for Keith. What exactly happened at Saint Louis that they hated Carter so much?
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

SLU83

Quote from: historyman on May 24, 2016, 11:33:08 PM
I was thinking this was a done deal for Keith. What exactly happened at Saint Louis that they hated Carter so much?

Carter committed to play for Majerus. Once Majerus got sick and it was evident that he would not be returning (and likely passing away), Carter wanted to leave. The problem was that SLU's starting PG, Kwamain Mitchell, broke his foot and SLU needed backcourt depth so Crews played Carter despite the fact that Carter was both banged up and he wanted to leave.

Crews was right in wanting to play Carter, but SLU did fine even when Carter wasn't playing. I think Crews should have respected Carter's wishes and let him redshirt the entire season. It seems surprising to me that the NCAA would deny Carter a 5th year considering all the circumstances at play.

ml2

There is a rumor on the Minnesota board that they will not be at the Vegas Tournament this season.
http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/showthread.php?67744-Early-Look-At-2016-17-B1G-Non-Conference-Schedules/page5

There is also a rumor on the SLU message board that they will be in the Vegas Tournament this season.
http://www.billikens.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=27136

oklahomamick

I dislike SLU for beating us on the buzzer at the ARC.  I think they were nationally ranked at the time.  Also, they screwed Carter out of a year of college hoops. 

But I would love to be in a conference with them....
CRUSADERS!!!

bbtds

Quote from: SLU83 on May 26, 2016, 06:51:37 AM

Carter committed to play for Majerus. Once Majerus got sick and it was evident that he would not be returning (and likely passing away), Carter wanted to leave. The problem was that SLU's starting PG, Kwamain Mitchell, broke his foot and SLU needed backcourt depth so Crews played Carter despite the fact that Carter was both banged up and he wanted to leave.

Crews was right in wanting to play Carter, but SLU did fine even when Carter wasn't playing. I think Crews should have respected Carter's wishes and let him redshirt the entire season. It seems surprising to me that the NCAA would deny Carter a 5th year considering all the circumstances at play.

Your leaving out a very important fact. SLU and Crews went out of their way to make sure Carter didn't get a another year of eligibility.

SLU83

Quote from: bbtds on May 26, 2016, 09:13:08 AM
Quote from: SLU83 on May 26, 2016, 06:51:37 AM

Your leaving out a very important fact. SLU and Crews went out of their way to make sure Carter didn't get a another year of eligibility.

That could be true. I don't know the whole story behind the appeal. I can certainly see Crews doing that.

agibson

Quote from: SLU83 on May 26, 2016, 10:20:25 AM
Quote from: bbtds on May 26, 2016, 09:13:08 AM

That could be true. I don't know the whole story behind the appeal. I can certainly see Crews doing that.

I'm still trying to figure out why. And it seems like noone's really laid out the whole story. But, it does seem like this is so...

In other news, I've heard that we might hear about Carter reasonably soon - maybe next week? But, Valpo's been surprised previously in this process, so, we'll see.

humbleopinion

At the meet and greet, Luke said that the timeline is three weeks max for the decision on the appeal.
Beamin' Beacons

valpopal

Mark LaBarbera said VU had contact with the NCAA today, and Valpo was informed the decision on Carter more likely would be a month away. Lottich then amended his expectation for hearing about Keith from June 23 to July 9. He will hold a scholarship open until the July decision.

valpo04

[tweet]751496104831774720[/tweet]

VU2014

a3uge

The worst part about this is that Kieth was the only point guard who played significant minutes last season.

VULB#62

[tweet]751518176593281024[/tweet]

I hope the athletic department (1) receives a formal appeals determination document that describes in logical detail the grounds for denial -- not a simple postcard stamped "DENIED."  And (2) if that document exists, I hope Mark and Matt share the exact words of the NCAA with the Valpo community and fans.

agibson

I've still never understood why he doesn't/didn't just get a conventional medical redshirt. Even when he was pressed back into service at SLU, he played so little, it should have been (should be?) a slam dunk case for a medical redshirt for that season. But, SLU wouldn't agree to it for some reason?

IndyValpo

http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2016/06/30/oregon-guard-dylan-ennis-gets-sixth-year-of-eligibility/

Apparently the key figure is between 21 minutes and 39. These two decisions were like 2 weeks apart. Consistency that is the NCAA. Perhaps it matters what size school or conference the player in question is from.

nkvu

This is just pure bs. If you substitute Vandy for Valpo I bet the decision would have been different. Power 5 rules. 

M

Really unfortunate for Keith. Petty move by the NCAA.

FWalum

To me this is really disturbing.  We always hear how the NCAA is suppose to be working for real student athletes and this seems to go directly to the contrary.  A student and a school with no prior infractions asks that an athlete be allowed to continue playing, not even a complete fourth season, when this student athlete has played significantly less than 3 seasons worth of games because of extenuating circumstances.  The NCAA in some shape or form believes that this will somehow hurt the integrity of the game or set a precedent for others to in some way gain an unfair advantage.  I see no way that Keith or VU is asking for exceptional treatment, only for what is best for this student athlete in light of his significant extenuating circumstances.  Fairness and concern for true student athletes and the schools that foster an honest student athlete experience has been replaced by legalistic mumbo-jumbo.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

VU2014

The major difference between the Dylan Ennis (Oregon) situation and Keith is that Oregon is funded by Phil Knight who is the Founder and majority shareholder of Nike that lines the NCAA's pockets with $$$$$$$$$$ and more $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$, went to Oregon and one of the single handed biggest athletics boosters in college athletics. If Keith were on Duke, Michigan State or some other power 5 conference school with major pull because of revenue being generated then he'd probably get an extra year of eligibility. The up hill battle for mid-majors continues...

valpotx

This is complete BS, and the NCAA should be ashamed of itself, as if we were P5, he would have been approved.  I wish him much luck in his professional career, wherever he may end up.
"Don't mess with Texas"

FWalum

One kid gets denied and another is rewarded.  Interesting that they mention some of the same items that we thought would work in Keith's favor, but didn't, yet they seemed to work for this kid.  Jalan West gets a 6th year
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show