• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Baylor Scandal 2.0

Started by VULB#62, May 26, 2016, 03:02:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

The preeminent Baptist University in the country is cleaning up after yet another scandal involving its athletic department.  We all know what happened the first time in MBB which resulted in Scott Drew resurrecting that program.  Now it's  Art Briles' football program:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2016/05/26/baylor-football-art-briles-sexual-assault-investigation/84976274/

Caught in the repercussions were not only Briles, but the AD and university president.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2016/05/26/baylor-fires-art-briles-football-sexual-assault/84973662/

Here's the Summary Report upon which the articles were based: 

http://www.baylor.edu/rtsv/doc.php/266596.pdf

From That report:
Barriers to Implementation of Title IX within Baylor's Football Program
Baylor failed to maintain effective oversight and supervision of the Athletics Department as it related to the effective implementation of Title IX. Leadership challenges and communications issues hindered enforcement of rules and policies, and created a cultural perception that football was above the rules. In addition to the issues related to student misconduct, the University and Athletics Department failed to take effective action in response to allegations involving misconduct by football staff. Further, despite the fact that other departments repeatedly raised concerns that the Athletics Department's response to student or employee misconduct was inadequate, Baylor administrators took insufficient steps to address the concerns.

Baylor failed to take appropriate action to respond to reports of sexual assault and dating violence reportedly committed by football players. The choices made by football staff and athletics leadership, in some instances, posed a risk to campus safety and the integrity of the University. In certain instances, including reports of a sexual assault by multiple football players, athletics and football personnel affirmatively chose not to report sexual violence and dating violence to an appropriate administrator outside of athletics. In those instances, football coaches or staff met directly with a complainant and/or a parent of a complainant and did not report the misconduct. As a result, no action was taken to support complainants, fairly and impartially evaluate the conduct under Title IX, address identified cultural concerns within the football program, or protect campus safety once aware of a potential pattern of sexual violence by multiple football players.

QUESTION:  Less than, Greater than or equal to the Penn State/Sandusky scandal?  PSU got probation, lost scholarships, was assessed monetary penalties and Paterno was publicly humiliated.

Kyle321n

I think Penn St. should have gotten the death penalty. This isn't as bad as Penn St. but I also think it should get the death penalty.

They'll lose 10 schollys/year for 3 years, get fined and be ineligible for postseason play for 4 years.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

VULB#62

I don't think it was worse than PSU, but I think equal to.  In both cases the actions involved more than just the FB program and staff -- i.e., it went up the food chain.  In both cases there were multiple victims.  In the case of PSU it was one perpetrator; Baylor multiple perpetrators. I'm not sure that Paterno oversaw a coordinated "sweeping under the rug" by his entire staff, but it appears that Briles orchestrated such a response to accusations.  I think if the NCAA does not treat this similarly to the way they treated PSU there will be hell to pay.  But that's gonna be an issue I fear. The NCAA is not well know for consistency in its decisions.  Not that I am in any way drawing a comparison (just commenting on their inconsistency), but look how Keith's eligibility case was handled compared to some really "iffy" situations where P5 players' appeals have been granted.

usc4valpo

Borrowing a quote from the late, great Jerry Tarkanian - I think the NCAA will be so upset with what is happening at Baylor that they will resume USC's probation for another 4 years.

No school got shafted by the NCAA worse than USC. The Bush scandal was nothing like what happened at Miami, North Carolina, Penn State or Baylor and their punishments will be significantly less.