• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Oakland adds Nunn and Clark; Each comes with baggage

Started by oklahomamick, July 21, 2016, 08:32:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpo64

Can't wait to hear "King K" explain these 2 gems.

VULB#62

Players with that type of baggage require constant baby-sitting or else they revert to their past ("I'm entitled") behavior.  Does the OU BB staff have enough resources to do that effectively at a school that is essentially a commuter school ?  If not, OU has some choices: 

o  hope they grew up and don't cross-contaminate each other or other members of the team
o  put them on a very short zero-tolerance leash and bounce them if there is any hint of unacceptable behavior
o  turn a blind eye to minor transgressions for the sake of winning
o  cover up unacceptable behavior for the sake of winning

Time will tell us how much these players have matured and how OU will handle any adversity this may produce.

historyman

"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valpopal

On a more positive note, Oakland and Kampe seem to  be doing the right thing here, but the NCAA sees "baggage" with this recruit and rules him ineligible. http://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/after-serving-in-war-zones-army-veteran-ruled-ineligible-to-play-in-college-by-ncaa/

oklahomamick

Story makes me upset and angry at the same time.  NCAA should grant this guy the opportunity.  Hopefully they can appeal it and win. 

If any of the Oakland transfers are ruled ineligible it should be the Oklahoma kid.  That dude was crazy and given chance after chance at okie state.
CRUSADERS!!!

talksalot

I've been a Kampe fan for a while... this just elevated it.  It would be my pleasure to introduce this guy in the ARC...and I'm guessing he gets a standing O (when this story goes around).

vu84v2

Lets hope Isaiah Brock plays for Oakland this year and gets to play at the ARC. Valpo fans are knowledgeable and classy and would undoubtedly give him a well-deserved standing ovation. Kudos to Kampe for finding a great thing to do that benefits many people in his university's community.

SanityLost17

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/19092856/sophomore-carlton-bragg-jr-transfer-kansas-jayhawks

$5 dollars says he ends up at Oakland.  From Ohio (relatively close geography to Detroit), drugs and battery charges.   Perfect fit.   :) 

EddieCabot

Quote from: SanityLost17 on April 07, 2017, 09:40:55 AM
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/19092856/sophomore-carlton-bragg-jr-transfer-kansas-jayhawks

$5 dollars says he ends up at Oakland.  From Ohio (relatively close geography to Detroit), drugs and battery charges.   Perfect fit.   :)

Wasn't the battery charge dropped when police determined it was a false accusation?  Drug charge stuck (I think).  Thank goodness Valpo doesn't tolerate players who use drugs/alcohol illegally.

bbtds

vu72

Quote from: EddieCabot on April 07, 2017, 06:35:32 PM
Quote from: SanityLost17 on April 07, 2017, 09:40:55 AM

Wasn't the battery charge dropped when police determined it was a false accusation?  Drug charge stuck (I think).  Thank goodness Valpo doesn't tolerate players who use drugs/alcohol illegally.

Your swipe didn't go unnoticed.  A couple of beers is not drug and battery charges.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

ml2

"Nice Guy" Eddie Cabot has to hold the record for the longest continuos trolling in message board history. We should take it as a compliment that a fan of a Big East school has devoted so much time and effort to little old Valpo.

valpotx

Yep, he does a pretty good job of somewhat hiding his true motives, from time to time
"Don't mess with Texas"

oklahomamick

Wait wait did Oakland just hire a coach that was fired from Tennessee for lying to the NCAA sanctions committee.  He had a 1 year show cause after his Run in with NCAA.  No surprise from second chance U. 
CRUSADERS!!!

VULB#62

At first it bothered me that Kampe was creating SCU at OU, but with this hire,  I got to thinking from a altruist perspective, i.e., people do deserve second chances (providing their first offense wasn't grossly terrible.). This guy paid his dues, paid the price, yada, yada. 

I think, but am not 100% sure, that Kampe keeps all of his reclaimation projects on very short leashes.  He has bounced a couple reclimation players already. I know Kampe is to a selfish degree looking for a ROI on these moves, but at the same time is actually doing a good thing if the reclaimation projects actually come around.