• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Campus Summer '16

Started by 78crusader, August 08, 2016, 08:32:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

78crusader

I live out of state so my campus visits are infrequent.  I got back over the weekend and took a tour.  Questions, thoughts, observations:

1. McIntyre has 8 or 9 vacant lots.  The street is ok but these vacant lots detract from the overall appearance of the street. VU probably owns half or more of these lots.  Why not offer them free to anyone who wants to build a home? 

2. What is the new building on the corner of University Park and Brown? Can't be a residence since there is no garage. It's nice, whatever it is. 

3. The new science building looks to be another in a long line of great additions to campus.

4. A while back the university decided that there needed to be more "density" to campus -- the buildings were too far apart.  We are now seeing much more density east of the chapel.  However, there isn't much west of the union and this lack of density is a problem.  I think a case could be made to place the next new building where the parking lot currently sits south of the softball field.

5. The new sorority houses are ... perfect.  Great job by VU. The Theta Chi house, however, is an eyesore and needs to be demolished.  Same with the Sig Tau house. 

6. LeBien Hall is now a lonely outpost on the fringe of campus.  A new nursing building needs to be built in the heart of campus. 

7. We simply need a new football stadium.  Period.  The small Christian high school my kids went to has a new stadium.  It is nicer than what we have.  I'm talking a high school of maybe 300 kids total.  I mean no disrespect to anyone with this comment. 

8. The landscaping around the Chapel addition and the library is really good.

9. An argument could be made that, next to the Chapel, the Welcome Center is the best building on campus.

10. The road from the east entrance off Sturdy to the Performing Arts building -- the one that goes past Gellersen -- is really bad and needs to be replaced.  The asphalt is broken and uneven in places.  There are no curbs.  Looks bad.  Detracts from the buildings.  Like wearing cheap tie with a great suit.  While I'm at it, there is no excuse for the front steps of Neils to look the way they do.  Embarrassing.

11. Guild/Memorial is a very underrated building. 

12. East Lincolnway still needs a LOT of help. The old 3D parking lot is a testament to neglect.  There were TWO cars in the lot when I drove by.  The empty lot next door on the northeast corner only adds to the dismal look of the area.  The definition of "bleak" in the dictionary should have a picture of this portion of the street. 

Paul

crusader05

The building on Brown and Garfield is I believe the Carriage house where the RLC who oversees the Sorority Housing will live.
McIntyre has brought down buildings that were old and in disrepair. I believe the University does rent out the nicer houses.
The parking lot south of the Softball Stadiums is where their will be a new building I believe, at least that was in the long term plan.
They have been repaving a lot of roads lately hopefully they get to the east entrance soon.
I agree about the Welcome Center and Chapel and the landscaping.
Unfortunately the university cannot do anything about the Sig Tau/Theta Chi houses as they are owned by their house boards. Hopefully, as more fraternities build, they will be torn down with a new house replacing them.

vu72

Quote from: crusader05 on August 08, 2016, 09:54:21 AM
The building on Brown and Garfield is I believe the Carriage house where the RLC who oversees the Sorority Housing will live.
McIntyre has brought down buildings that were old and in disrepair. I believe the University does rent out the nicer houses.
The parking lot south of the Softball Stadiums is where their will be a new building I believe, at least that was in the long term plan.
They have been repaving a lot of roads lately hopefully they get to the east entrance soon.
I agree about the Welcome Center and Chapel and the landscaping.
Unfortunately the university cannot do anything about the Sig Tau/Theta Chi houses as they are owned by their house boards. Hopefully, as more fraternities build, they will be torn down with a new house replacing them.

My understanding is that the Sig Tau alumni have put a great deal into renovations.  Was never the best looking house on the exterior.  They anticipate getting the house back on campus at some point in the future.  The other side will see some big changes as the apartment house has been removed and the new Sigma Chi house will go in its place.  The new Phi Psi house will go up where the police station now sits.

The area where Huegli sat, which, I believe is the parking lot 78 mentioned, is where the new Nursing and Business schools will be built, according to the Master plan.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

covufan

Quote from: 78crusader on August 08, 2016, 08:32:13 AM1. McIntyre has 8 or 9 vacant lots.  The street is ok but these vacant lots detract from the overall appearance of the street. VU probably owns half or more of these lots.  Why not offer them free to anyone who wants to build a home? 

This is just a guess, but I'm thinking that the University wants all of McIntyre and has moving towards that end for 30+ years.  One would need to look at county records to verify, but I think VU owns most of the homes/lots on the street.  The problem may come from those owners that will not sell to VU under any circumstances.  By turning some homes into vacant lots, it is possible that home values may move in such a way that is advantageous to VU.  Again, just speculation on my part.