• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2017 US News Rankings

Started by VULB#62, September 13, 2016, 09:32:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

It's out.

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/rankings/regional-universities-midwest

We are tied for #4 (with Xavier) and rate #1s for Value and Undergrad Teaching among Midwest Regional Universities. Ahead of us are #1 Creighton, #2 Butler, #3 Drake.  We are in pretty good company.

valpo95

Valparaiso's College of Engineering is tied for #13 in the country (schools where a doctorate is not offered), which also places it in some pretty good company!

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/rankings/engineering-no-doctorate

vu72

And almost $3,000 a year less expensive than Butler!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

atkins

Would have liked to see Valpo move up in the (ridiculously flawed) US News rankings.  I believe that we used to be higher ranked a couple of decades ago but fell back during the Harre years and have not regained our previous spot. If I am wrong, please correct me. 

I continue to find it ironic that US News failed as a publication but somehow remains the gold-standard purveyor of college rankings. 

sfnmman

Quote from: atkins on September 16, 2016, 10:23:06 PM
Would have liked to see Valpo move up in the (ridiculously flawed) US News rankings.  I believe that we used to be higher ranked a couple of decades ago but fell back during the Harre years and have not regained our previous spot. If I am wrong, please correct me. 

I continue to find it ironic that US News failed as a publication but somehow remains the gold-standard purveyor of college rankings. 

If you think the rankings are "ridiculously flawed" as you say, why are you so concerned that Valpo is now tied for fourth rather than number 1,2 or 3 as it has been in years past.  You are making too much of relatively small differences in ranking.  There probably are relatively small differences between all of the top 5 or 10 colleges in this category. 

The main point is that Valpo is ranked among the top Midwest regional universities and has maintained this position consistently over a number of years.  Don't overlook the fact that it is tops in Undergraduate teaching and Value and that the College of Engineering is highly ranked for undergraduate engineering schools. (The glass is more than half full).

valpotx

Not a few decades, but as recently as 1999 - 2004 at a minimum, since that was our rating back 'in my day'
"Don't mess with Texas"

agibson

Quote from: valpotx on September 17, 2016, 04:16:28 PM

Not a few decades, but as recently as 1999 - 2004 at a minimum, since that was our rating back 'in my day'

I'm with you. I think in the 95-96 kind of period we might have been a bit higher, fighting for #1. That was all under Harre (served until 2008).

vu72

Quote from: sfnmman on September 17, 2016, 12:35:27 PM

If you think the rankings are "ridiculously flawed" as you say, why are you so concerned that Valpo is now tied for fourth rather than number 1,2 or 3 as it has been in years past.  You are making too much of relatively small differences in ranking. There probably are relatively small differences between all of the top 5 or 10 colleges in this category. 

The main point is that Valpo is ranked among the top Midwest regional universities and has maintained this position consistently over a number of years.  Don't overlook the fact that it is tops in Undergraduate teaching and Value and that the College of Engineering is highly ranked for undergraduate engineering schools. (The glass is more than half full).

Here here.  Well said.  The biggest point is that we are now ranked as No. 1 in teaching.  What is more important?

If the difference between being #1 and #4 overall was so important imagine how Stanford feels.  They were ranked #1 back in 1987 and now have fallen to a disgraceful #5!!  :o How about Cal Tech!  They were #1 in 1999 and now???  Brace yourselves Cal Tech grads, #12!!!!   :o
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

bbtds

Quote from: vu72 on September 19, 2016, 08:29:02 AMHow about Cal Tech!  They were #1 in 1999 and now???  Brace yourselves Cal Tech grads, #12!!!! 

I think it started when they hired Professors Walowitz, Koothrappali, Hofstadter and Cooper.