• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Forever Valpo Fundraising Campaign

Started by sfnmman, September 22, 2016, 11:02:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sfnmman

For those Valpo Fans that are not able to attend Homecoming and the kickoff of the Forever Valpo fundraising campaign, could those in attendance that contribute to this forum fill us in on the details as they are announced on September 23, 2016?  For example, what are the financial goals, how much has been committed to date, what are the plans for the funds (endowment/projects/new construction), timeframe, campaign leaders, etc.  Hopefully, this is a campaign everyone can get behind and support!

M

What they did to the ARC for last nights kickoff was incredible! I was blown away, as were many others who were walking in. The band was great, the five speakers did a fine job, and it seemed like everyone inside had a fantastic time. (It did get pretty warm in there, bows the time to pounce on fundraising for some AC!) great start on the $250m trail. They announced that $135+m had already been raised!

Best event, and best atmosphere (outside a big game) I've experienced at Valpo! Well done to those in charge!

vu72

I looked online and it appears that Bare Naked Ladiies charges $150,000 for a concert!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

M

http://www.valpo.edu/forevervalpo/video/

Turn up the volume, grab a tissue, and prepare for a few goosebumps.

VULB#62

Very well done.  Great message.  As an aside, this is a Fan Forum, so I feel comfortable also saying that in addition to all the other wonderful images in that film, I was pleased to see so many shots of our athletic teams in action.  To me that shows that those in leadership do see a place for athletics in the grand scheme of things. 

bbtds

Quote from: M on September 24, 2016, 02:09:55 PM
What they did to the ARC for last nights kickoff was incredible! I was blown away, as were many others who were walking in. The band was great, the five speakers did a fine job, and it seemed like everyone inside had a fantastic time. (It did get pretty warm in there, bows the time to pounce on fundraising for some AC!) great start on the $250m trail. They announced that $135+m had already been raised!

Best event, and best atmosphere (outside a big game) I've experienced at Valpo! Well done to those in charge!
I believe there was a mechanical issue with the AC at the R. The AC units were never installed.  :o

crusadermoe

Wow, that is some impressive energy. 

For athletics, I think I saw that Paul Schrage endowed the basketball recruiting budget.

One great way to ensure protect Division 1 status and guaranteed excellence is to give a named full scholarship for basketball players. I didn't look at the menu of costs.  I would guess a $1,000,000+ gift  is needed to spin off an annual amount for full tuition and expenses for one student/player.....maybe even $1.5 million?  Just know I am not in that category.   ;D

vu72

I'm wondering how well the Forever Valpo Campaign is moving along.  The website hasn't been updated in some time.  No new pictures and national gathering have happened in Las Vegas on November 22, Phoenix on November 27 and in Milwaukee on February 2.  The last significant gift announced was on October 10 with a $1.4 million gift to the College of Business.  The last I heard the goal of $250 million was at $135 million. Is the drive running on fumes??  ???
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

crusader05

I haven't heard anything either positive or negative. I do know that some focus has been to prepare to role out some new programs. Specifically the new aviation program they just announced. The University is also in the process of revising the strategic plan and working on their re-accreditation process so that might be the focus right now

VULB#62

At the Milwaukee pre-game event President Heckler announced that the drive has surpassed $150 million.  He also noted that a 3X matching funds donation program is now underway (someone is matching every dollar with 3) up to a certain amount but I didn't catch the figure (because of the ahs and ohs I heard, I'm  guessing it was quite significant - million?).

He also talked about the three elements of the endowment program: scholarships, faculty salaries, and new academic programs. The campaign is due to end some time this year I think.

... then it's time to kick off the AFI Campaign.   :thumbsup:

The Athletic Facilities Improvement campaign  ::)

crusadermoe

Good to hear it is wrapping up already.  Keep us posted on the AFI.

Can we get a 3:1 from a big donor to jolt an AFI?   Maybe that 3:1 was offered in a mailing before Christmas.....I can't recall. Others hear of it?

VULB#62

Quote from: crusadermoe on February 05, 2017, 06:04:57 PM
Good to hear it is wrapping up already.  Keep us posted on the AFI.

Can we get a 3:1 from a big donor to jolt an AFI?   Maybe that 3:1 was offered in a mailing before Christmas.....I can't recall. Others hear of it?

Ah, if only there was one   :(

crusadermoe

Hey '72, you asked if the Forever campaign was "running on fumes."   Not sure if the replies that were posted really got any firm numbers.

crusader05

http://www.insideindianabusiness.com/story/35005271/valpo-writing-center-to-bear-name-of-supporter?platform=hootsuite

This article mentions some new endowments and the last sentence reports that over 150 million of the 250 million goal has been raised. Not sure how much of that is just what is made public vs how much of that is accurate. Seems like we may have hit a bit of a stall out but I've also not heard any rumors of concern about it either.

vu72

Quote from: crusader05 on March 27, 2017, 01:02:27 PM
http://www.insideindianabusiness.com/story/35005271/valpo-writing-center-to-bear-name-of-supporter?platform=hootsuite
This article mentions some new endowments and the last sentence reports that over 150 million of the 250 million goal has been raised. Not sure how much of that is just what is made public vs how much of that is accurate. Seems like we may have hit a bit of a stall out but I've also not heard any rumors of concern about it either.

This is a new gift and the article actually says "152 of 250"!  A big event is coming up in New York City where about 100 have already registered and where Ginger Zee will be the featured speaker.  I also remember something about a 3 for 1 matching gift which I don't think has been announced or promoted as of now. It may have been mentioned in an athletic release.  62 may have a better memory on this.

crusader05

That's good. I find It hard to believe we're still a little under 100 Million shy of our goal so my guess is that there are a lot of as yet unannounced gifts, matching drives, or things in the works. I have heard of 2 different funds/projects in the works that have yet to be announced as well so I feel like that is hopefully a good sign.

Crusader99

[quote

[/quote]

Unreal that the university has raised $150million but wouldn't spend $5000 so that our basketball team could have a proper shoot around before the conference tournament. A very sad and not so subtle reminder of where basketball is on the university totem pole.... And don't even get me started on how we messed up a chance at the MVC four years ago and the Jubril fiasco this year.

crusader05

I thought the coach nixed the shoot around but not sure. Also, I don't know what you mean regarding the Jubril situation but from what I've heard the university spent quite a bit of money fighting for Jubril with the NCAA

bbtds

Quote from: Crusader99 on March 27, 2017, 05:47:33 PMUnreal that the university has raised $150million but wouldn't spend $5000 so that our basketball team could have a proper shoot around before the conference tournament. A very sad and not so subtle reminder of where basketball is on the university totem pole.... And don't even get me started on how we messed up a chance at the MVC four years ago and the Jubril fiasco this year.

These statements about the "proper shoot around" at the Joe in Detroit and the Jubril situation are simply untrue. The one most responsible for the Jubril situation is Jubril himself. I didn't agree with the NCAA decision on Jubril but it was Jubril that put himself in that situation. 

Crusader99

Quote from: bbtds on March 28, 2017, 07:06:46 PM
Quote from: Crusader99 on March 27, 2017, 05:47:33 PMUnreal that the university has raised $150million but wouldn't spend $5000 so that our basketball team could have a proper shoot around before the conference tournament. A very sad and not so subtle reminder of where basketball is on the university totem pole.... And don't even get me started on how we messed up a chance at the MVC four years ago and the Jubril fiasco this year.

These statements about the "proper shoot around" at the Joe in Detroit and the Jubril situation are simply untrue. The one most responsible for the Jubril situation is Jubril himself. I didn't agree with the NCAA decision on Jubril but it was Jubril that put himself in that situation.

It is fair of you to say that Jubril put himself in that situation. My point, paralleling my point with the shoot around, is that the school made a bad decision on how to handle the Jubril situation. The ncaa should have never been involved and the school should have decided a proper punishment on their own (just like the big boy schools try and do). If ncaa has a problem with it, they can then let the school know.
As for the shoot around, that statement I made is fact. Everyone is kidding themselves if they think the coaching staff told the university that they didn't want a shoot around at JLA after what happened last year. There is zero chance this staff didn't want a shoot around.
As for the Valley, maybe we get lucky if WSU leaves and they come back to is. They wanted us previously and made that clear. There was one strong condition set upon Valpo, "invest in the program with reasonable changes to the ARC."  Valpo wouldn't commit to that, so they moved on to Loyola. So again, until the school prioritizes basketball, these are the discussions we will have.

bbtds

Quote from: Crusader99 on March 28, 2017, 09:54:23 PMIt is fair of you to say that Jubril put himself in that situation. My point, paralleling my point with the shoot around, is that the school made a bad decision on how to handle the Jubril situation. The ncaa should have never been involved and the school should have decided a proper punishment on their own (just like the big boy schools try and do). If ncaa has a problem with it, they can then let the school know.

You think Valpo went to the NCAA and asked them to get involved?

Valpo self reported the violation because that is part of the rules for being an NCAA member. Valpo decided on a punishment that the NCAA in the end decided was not harsh enough and the NCAA changed the punishment. I'll guarantee you Valpo never wanted the NCAA involved in the situation at all. How did Valpo mishandle the Jubril situation?

vu72

Quote from: Crusader99 on March 28, 2017, 09:54:23 PM
Quote from: bbtds on March 28, 2017, 07:06:46 PM

It is fair of you to say that Jubril put himself in that situation. My point, paralleling my point with the shoot around, is that the school made a bad decision on how to handle the Jubril situation. The ncaa should have never been involved and the school should have decided a proper punishment on their own (just like the big boy schools try and do). If ncaa has a problem with it, they can then let the school know.
As for the shoot around, that statement I made is fact. Everyone is kidding themselves if they think the coaching staff told the university that they didn't want a shoot around at JLA after what happened last year. There is zero chance this staff didn't want a shoot around.
As for the Valley, maybe we get lucky if WSU leaves and they come back to is. They wanted us previously and made that clear. There was one strong condition set upon Valpo, "invest in the program with reasonable changes to the ARC."  Valpo wouldn't commit to that, so they moved on to Loyola. So again, until the school prioritizes basketball, these are the discussions we will have.

Wow!  I had zero idea you were part of the Administration or at a minimum part of the AD office.  We will take your posts much more seriously now that we know.

StlVUFan

Quote from: crusader05 on March 28, 2017, 08:41:08 AM
I thought the coach nixed the shoot around but not sure. Also, I don't know what you mean regarding the Jubril situation but from what I've heard the university spent quite a bit of money fighting for Jubril with the NCAA
Both Lottich and Gore complained about it in their postgame comments, so I'm guessing they weren't the ones who nixed it.  I'm more perplexed by the subtext I infer from ML's interview that seems to blame this on the HL.

FWalum

Quote from: StlVUFan on April 01, 2017, 03:22:38 PM
Quote from: crusader05 on March 28, 2017, 08:41:08 AM
Both Lottich and Gore complained about it in their postgame comments, so I'm guessing they weren't the ones who nixed it.  I'm more perplexed by the subtext I infer from ML's interview that seems to blame this on the HL.
My take on this comes more from a coaching standpoint.  A 20 minute shooting session 36 hours before a playoff game doesn't really cut it for me.  I doubt that it would have much if any positive effect on performance.  I agree with ML that the teams should get practice time (I am not talking the 20 minute variety here) on the court preferably the day of the game and that more needs to be done in order for the teams, that don't play in the opening round, to be comfortable on the court.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show