• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2017 Spring Football Preview

Started by valpofb16, December 18, 2016, 01:49:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

Last year's number don't mean anything -- that kid still has to beat Alex out this summer in preseason camp.  I have a feeling that if things are even up after preseason Alex will get the nod based on experience.

VULB#62

Coach Sami Caygos just signed on as the OL coach at Lycoming College in PA (D-III).

vu72

Quote from: VULB#62 on April 05, 2017, 05:21:28 PM
Coach Sami Caygos just signed on as the OL coach at Lycoming College in PA (D-III).

Got to be more to the story. A personal connection?  Wife wants to go home?  Something. Otherwise why would he take a lateral position at a D3 and most likely a pay cut?
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: vu72 on April 05, 2017, 05:51:06 PM
Quote from: VULB#62 on April 05, 2017, 05:21:28 PM

Got to be more to the story. A personal connection?  Wife wants to go home?  Something. Otherwise why would he take a lateral position at a D3 and most likely a pay cut?

Do we pay like a D1-non scholarship?  Is non scholarship D1 better paying than D3?

VU2624

Coach Caygoz came from a school in Pennsylvania and attended Franklin and Marshall in PA. He's an ex-OL. It is where he's from and maybe that's where he wanted to be.

Reasons for leaving can be many including that the team didn't want him back.

VULB#62

I'm thinking the former rather than the latter.  His Twitter page would frequently be reconnecting to F&M as well as Kings where he worked before.

MLB sent him a nice Tweet thanking him for his contributions, as well.

VU2624

Quote from: VULB#62 on April 05, 2017, 07:17:26 PMI'm thinking the former rather than the latter.  His Twitter page would frequently be reconnecting to F&M as well as Kings where he worked before. MLB sent him a nice Tweet thanking him for his contributions, as well.

I don't disagree and you're likely right. I only mentioned it to highlight the fact that the reasons for a position coach leaving can be many without the typical responses blaming the University for the departure. This is all too common occurrence here and on the basketball board in a variety of situations.

There is always some coaching turnover from year to year for a variety of reasons. 

VULB#62

It appears that Dave loses a guy a year.  A guy to Columbia , a guy to Eastern Ky, and now Sami.

VU2624

Quote from: VULB#62 on April 06, 2017, 04:37:14 PMIt appears that Dave loses a guy a year.  A guy to Columbia , a guy to Eastern Ky, and now Sami.

Stovall, Donovan and Logan left after Dave's first year.

Mattix left after year 2.

valpotx

It is always good to see our coaches moving on to higher levels.  It shows up and coming coaches that they can advance in their career, by staying a few seasons at Valpo.  If we get back to a culture of winning, I don't mind this culture of coaching turnover at all.
"Don't mess with Texas"

footballgods

Anyone know how spring ball is going.....

talksalot

Ask Again after the Spring Game on Saturday... 60% chance of rain... 11am start time.

Rain showers in the morning will evolve into a more steady rain in the afternoon. High 53F. Winds ENE at 15 to 25 mph. Chance of rain 60%.

footballgods

Thanks talksalot.  I did see the forecast..

talksalot

and the "Weather Channel" has this forecast for Saturday... reporting this on Tuesday.

Partly cloudy. High 54F. Winds NE at 15 to 25 mph.

Bit gusty... but I like the trend...

VULB#62

What info do we have about the spring game aside from the VU release?

http://www.valpoathletics.com/football/news/2016-17/17341/countdown-to-2017-begins-after-successful-spring-game/#.WPvrNFLMwo8

We know from the post-scrimmage interview with Dave that Seewald was out with a shoulder problem. Anybody at the scrimmage to provide a first hand assessment?

Noticed a big smile from Dave when JJ was brought up.

Captains look like good choices.

Anybody have a roster?

VULB#62

[tweet]855814960714330112[/tweet]

VU2624

Saw it. Coach appeared to being kind to the offense. Too many inaccurate passes. Too much pressure on the QBs. Many batted balls. No lanes to run. Way too spotty. In short, the same as it has been the last few years.

Injuries to Seewald, DeLarosa and Hughes are concerning.

footballgods

I did here some good things on the 2 QBs, Duncan is  by far the most mobile , he can run and scribble out of pressure it seems that is very positive moving forward since the OL is still not great, and Papenfuss did well also, has a big arm.  In this league you need a mobile QB to win games not a drop back... But the Defense looked great I heard, which will help out the offence moving forward... I am glad coaches red shirted the 2 other QBs...

VU2624

Quote from: footballgods on May 02, 2017, 11:26:02 AMIn this league you need a mobile QB to win games not a drop back.

Anthony Lawrence and Austin Gahafer would disagree.

VULB#62

Quote from: VU2624 on May 03, 2017, 01:37:54 PM
http://www.valpoathletics.com/football/news/2016-17/17386/de-la-rosa-a-common-thread-between-nursing-football/#.WQoi8ca1sZa

From the article for everyone's information.

Tristan faced an obstacle of his own this past season as he battled through a knee injury to play in 10 games as an impact player on Valpo's defense. After the fact, he learned that he tore his ACL at the beginning of the season and played on it the entire year.

"I knew it was going to be a great season, so I had to fight through it," Tristan says. "I think my biggest inspiration was Brandon Doepke '17. I saw him devastated by injuries two seasons in a row, and every day I saw him motor at practice. I saw him improve each day, and I knew I had to play with him."

Tristan sat out Sunday practices before the team off day on Mondays as his body needed two days of recovery following a week of work. Otherwise, he made sure he was ready to play and battled through each week of practice.

"When JJ Nunes went down with an injury, I knew Kye Hall, Kellan Hughes, and I were the grandfathers of the defense," Tristan says. "We were the only veterans left. I didn't want to let them down."