• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Construction on campus

Started by 94Alum, December 19, 2016, 08:15:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

94Alum

I was hoping maybe locals could occasionally post pic updates or even just verbal updates on campus construction projects for us curious out-of-town alumni?  For instance the big one now is the new science building, but whenever I have looked on the web for a pic they are just nowhere to be found.

Does anyone have a pic to share or can just tell us at what stage the science building currently stands?  Pretty pleeaase??

Thanks!

crusader05

I don't have a picture but most of the exterior is done. It's mostly brick with large windows and is an impressive building.

The University's snap chat did a tour of the building which showed classrooms and office space while the labs were still pretty unfinished.  If you want to keep up to date on University happenings the Snap Chat App is actually turning into a great tool for that. They may highlight different buildings or organizations and include interviews. It's not too hard to use and is a great way to feel in touch with campus.

94Alum

Wow, that's great to know.  Thanks for the advice about Snap Chat, I'll def try it.  I am always wondering about the progress of construction projects and frustrated because I can't find anything using Google.  LOL

crusader05

The new Science Building will be open this fall with professors moving in this June.  Neil's will be renovated which is pretty exciting. The University just posted a small video from the Father-Son glass blowing business that they commissioned to contribute art work. It's a nice story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaDCArxKNu8&app=desktop

wh

No progress pictures but an interesting project overview by the designer:

http://www.hastingschivetta.com/projects/stem-village-phase-i/

Note: The actual structure is FAR more impressive than the artist's rendering.

wh

Quote from: crusader05 on June 02, 2017, 05:28:09 PM
The new Science Building will be open this fall with professors moving in this June.  Neil's will be renovated which is pretty exciting. The University just posted a small video from the Father-Son glass blowing business that they commissioned to contribute art work. It's a nice story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaDCArxKNu8&app=desktop

What a great story! Thanks for sharing.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

wh

Apparently, the University is trying to sell the vacant (former 3D) lot at the NE corner of Lincolnway and Roosevelt. There is a sign adjacent to the south entrance that says "6.1 acres available." The advertiser is JLL with a Chicago (312) phone number. I found their website, but couldn't find the listing. It's gotta have a 7-figure price tag. Just curious if anyone  knows anything.

https://hirise.com/property/search;query=Valparaiso,%20IN%2046383,%20United%20States;searchType=1;latitude=41.4613036;longitude=-86.9624086;page=2;perPage=6;zoomLevel=11;isStateOrCountry=false

crusader05

I've heard rumors of them looking to sell it to a high end grocer but that's about it. As the improvements continue down Lincolnway I'd imagine that spot will become more and more desirable and will hopefully bring in some money for the University.

I've heard nothing but great things about the New Science Building as well. It's way less exciting but another parking garage on campus could do wonders for freeing up parking.

covufan

Quote from: crusader05 on October 05, 2017, 10:23:33 AMI've heard nothing but great things about the New Science Building as well. It's way less exciting but another parking garage on campus could do wonders for freeing up parking.

If I were a long range planner (I'm not), I would think that for any part of the University to expand (student enrollment wise) parking would be needed.  If a portion of the future of Valpo is the graduate studies and business school, I'd think building a parking garage on the east end of campus would become a priority.  Put the garage just east of Sturdy Rd near Martin Drive, with a underground walkway to the outer drive of campus.  For events such as basketball and football games, have paid parking near the game, but provide a bus from this free parking garage. 

valpopal

Quote from: covufan on October 05, 2017, 11:28:19 AM
Quote from: crusader05 on October 05, 2017, 10:23:33 AMI've heard nothing but great things about the New Science Building as well. It's way less exciting but another parking garage on campus could do wonders for freeing up parking.

If I were a long range planner (I'm not), I would think that for any part of the University to expand (student enrollment wise) parking would be needed.  If a portion of the future of Valpo is the graduate studies and business school, I'd think building a parking garage on the east end of campus would become a priority.  Put the garage just east of Sturdy Rd near Martin Drive, with a underground walkway to the outer drive of campus.  For events such as basketball and football games, have paid parking near the game, but provide a bus from this free parking garage. 

For those not on campus, I thought I'd pass along that demolition of the old Porter Hospital parking garage will begin on Monday.

crusader05

I hadn't heard that. Glad to see that eyesore go.

As far as parking, the East side of Campus really isn't hurting for parking, there is already one parking garage there, plus plenty near Gellerson and the Science Center. It's the west end of campus that struggles with really only the large parking lot next to Guild Memorial and now the new Sorority Housing.  The parking garage was supposed to alleviate that so hopefully once it's torn down they can at least work to pave and utilize that whole area as parking. They've already paid to light a walkway from there to the ARC so it would be nice to have that for sports parking as well.

VULB#62

But what  about the parking nearby the ARC?  The more I think about it, the more I am convinced that this is the showstopper for MBB games. 

vu72

Quote from: VULB#62 on October 11, 2017, 08:53:16 PM
But what  about the parking nearby the ARC?  The more I think about it, the more I am convinced that this is the showstopper for MBB games. 

The area where the garage is will be paved and together with the already paved area next to it will provide plenty of parking for athletics.  That might be a 150 yard walk to the ARC.  Anybody been to an athletic venue with parking much closer?  Come on folks. 150 yards??
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

From Google Maps: 

>> Existing lot has approximately 144 spaces that I counted.  The parking structure foot print is almost identical in size to the lot.  Take it down and pave it over and you have a net gain of somewhere between 130 and 150 spaces.

>> Distance from these lots to the NW entrance to the ARC is not 150 yards, it is just a little under a 1/4 mile walk.

I'm just not convinced that this is (1) plenty of (2) convenient parking that makes attending a MBB game that much more attractive to first time or casual fans, and that it would convince them to attend games more often, especially when the weather turns cold and snowy.

vu72

Quote from: VULB#62 on October 12, 2017, 09:31:59 AM
From Google Maps: 

>> Existing lot has approximately 144 spaces that I counted.  The parking structure foot print is almost identical in size to the lot.  Take it down and pave it over and you have a net gain of somewhere between 130 and 150 spaces.

>> Distance from these lots to the NW entrance to the ARC is not 150 yards, it is just a little under a 1/4 mile walk.

I'm just not convinced that this is (1) plenty of (2) convenient parking that makes attending a MBB game that much more attractive to first time or casual fans, and that it would convince them to attend games more often, especially when the weather turns cold and snowy.

I stand corrected.  Just measured it.  300 yards, not 150.  That is a little closer than the parking lot by the softball field, depending on where you find a space.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

ml2

I physically walked out the distance from the Porter Hospital garage to the ARC when I was working for the Crusader Fund. It is the same distance as the middle of the softball field lot. So, on the positive side it's the same distance as many people park already. On the negative side, I don't think the softball lot is considered ideal parking by most fans, but rather the place you end up when all the good spots are gone. In addition, people are just not used to parking up by the hospital garage, and I think the perception is that it is further. Lastly, on a cold windy night, walking along the new sidewalk with the open soccer field to your west can be pretty rough compared to the relatively sheltered walk along Union Street.

vu72

Quote from: ml2 on October 12, 2017, 10:16:56 AM
I physically walked out the distance from the Porter Hospital garage to the ARC when I was working for the Crusader Fund. It is the same distance as the middle of the softball field lot. So, on the positive side it's the same distance as many people park already. On the negative side, I don't think the softball lot is considered ideal parking by most fans, but rather the place you end up when all the good spots are gone. In addition, people are just not used to parking up by the hospital garage, and I think the perception is that it is further. Lastly, on a cold windy night, walking along the new sidewalk with the open soccer field to your west can be pretty rough compared to the relatively sheltered walk along Union Street.

I agree that more direction toward that hospital lot needs to occur and I suspect there are plans for this.  As for "cold windy nights", in Northern Indiana?  Seriously??  :o

I think the first promotion of the year should be Valpo earmuffs for the first 1000 fans!!

valpo64

A few years back weren't there plans to build a parking garage south of the ARC?

ml2

One of the long range master plans showed a garage south of Mueller and west of Linwood House. There is a "road to nowhere" there currently on Campus Drive South. You can see it on this overhead:

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.4620017,-87.0450114,276m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

But those master plans go out like 30 years, and many of the proposals in it may not happen for a long time, if ever.

If a garage was built there, in itself it wouldn't offer great parking for the games either. But if students could be forced there to leave more spots in the lot west of Memorial Guild, then I suppose it could help improve things on game nights at the ARC.

vu72

Quote from: ml2 on October 12, 2017, 01:47:49 PMsouth of Mueller

That would most likely be further away (or as far away) as the softball lot or hospital lot in relation to the ARC.

With the plan to move the frats off Mound and onto Union as well as the Master Plan calling for closing Linwood, it might be possible to build a parking garage on Linwood with a walkway through the new frat houses.  The University owns almost all homes on Linwood.

bbtds

Quote from: vu72 on October 12, 2017, 06:50:24 AM
Quote from: VULB#62 on October 11, 2017, 08:53:16 PM

The area where the garage is will be paved and together with the already paved area next to it will provide plenty of parking for athletics.  That might be a 150 yard walk to the ARC.  Anybody been to an athletic venue with parking much closer?  Come on folks. 150 yards??

I agree, when you look at the parking at places like the Hulman Center in Terre Haute, the Ford Center in Evansville, the Orena at Oakland, the Gentile Center at Loyola in Chicago (most people don't drive, they take the train or an Uber), etc. the parking is not much closer, if it is closer, than the lots near LaPorte Ave are to the ARC. What would help a great deal is if they would have people at the doors closest to the football field like they used to have so people didn't have to walk farther to the doors closer to Union Street. How hard is it to have those doors open as an entrance especially when the weather gets bad?

wh

Quote from: ml2 on October 12, 2017, 01:47:49 PM
If a garage was built there, in itself it wouldn't offer great parking for the games either. But if students could be forced there to leave more spots in the lot west of Memorial Guild, then I suppose it could help improve things on game nights at the ARC.
Signs should be placed at that lot saying "no student or faculty parking after 5p on game nights."  As I vaguely recall there are 150-175 parking spots in that lot. That should be a paid game parking lot. At $10 a pop that's $1500-1750/game x 15 = $22,000-26,000 gross profit for the season. A small university that would turn its nose up at an opportunity to add $25,000 a year to it's Athletic Department coffers for doing practically nothing tells me as a donor that my charitable dollars would be put to better use somewhere else. It also sends a message to your faithful basketball (PAYING) supporters that you value them and appreciate their support (something that an open field lot separated by a 1/4 mile tundra certainly does not). This is such low hanging fruit it's almost dragging the ground.

Build fan loyalty and get paid for it - what a novel idea!  "Are you smarter than a 10-year-old?"

vu84v2

I agree with wh's argument and have seen this done at other universities. However, it does create some logistics problems, though I am not sure whether they are applicable to Valpo. Some classes may go beyond 5:00 PM and there may be evening classes. This may be the everyday parking for faculty and staff in buildings adjacent to the lot. These issues could be complicated further if a game were to be moved for TV to 6:00 PM.

wh

As of yesterday a high-reach excavator is parked along side the parking garage. Looks like demolition is imminent.

VULB#62

It could come down fast.  Or not.  Depending on how quickly it comes down and winter weather hitting NW Indiana, they might be able to repave it, once the debris is removed, to provide those extra spaces for all or at least a portion of the BB season.  The important MVC season tips off after the New Year, so that might be the target for this project. is now a no-brainer and maybe some of the late Novemebr and December games can use the new area.

I might add that there are just under 50 existing spaces surrounding LeBein Hall and it's annex (Lot 26?), but there is also a lot of open space there that could be expanded into additional parking without seriously impacting the aesthetics around the buildings there. That could add another 50-60 spaces easily.  And that is even closer to the ARC.