• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Construction on campus

Started by 94Alum, December 19, 2016, 08:15:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

Well, that didn't take long. 2 of 3 sections on the east end have already been taken down.

VULB#62

Ok.  I modified my previous post  :bowdown: ;D

wh

VULB#62

WH, any thoughts on the second paragraph?  You are there. Is there room for that.

wh

Quote from: VULB#62 on October 17, 2017, 07:40:24 PM
WH, any thoughts on the second paragraph?  You are there. Is there room for that.

Great idea!  People love that area and parking spots fill up long before game time. The lighting is excellent, as well. More spots would be that much better. I'll try to scope it out tomorrow and report back.

VULB#62

It is university owned property so the zoning stuff might not be so much of an issue.

wh

Quote from: VULB#62 on October 17, 2017, 08:10:01 AM
It could come down fast.  Or not.  Depending on how quickly it comes down and winter weather hitting NW Indiana, they might be able to repave it, once the debris is removed, to provide those extra spaces for all or at least a portion of the BB season.  The important MVC season tips off after the New Year, so that might be the target for this project. is now a no-brainer and maybe some of the late Novemebr and December games can use the new area.

I might add that there are just under 50 existing spaces surrounding LeBein Hall and it's annex (Lot 26?), but there is also a lot of open space there that could be expanded into additional parking without seriously impacting the aesthetics around the buildings there. That could add another 50-60 spaces easily.  And that is even closer to the ARC.

True. There is an expansive flat, grassy area adjacent to the annex to the north and east, and it does look like it could accommodate that many additional spots. That could be a $5 lot. In fact, I think I recall seeing a $5 parking sign and parking attendant at the entrance to that area for a recent football game. I don't recall having seen paid parking signs there before, but as someone who doesn't follow VU football very closely, I could easily be wrong.

VULB#62

I just emailed MLB with this idea.

wh

I drove by the parking garage demolition site this morning.  The entire structure is gone.  It looks like they are cleaning up remaining concrete and back filling and leveling the area. While I didn't really see the garage as an eye-sore (even after the hospital was gone), admittedly the area looks better (cleaner) without it. 

I could be wrong about this, but I think I recall seeing/hearing (maybe on this forum) that the University's master plan includes closing part of LaPorte Avenue to thru traffic. I can see definite facility planning advantages of having one contiguous piece of develop-able ground continuing west from the former garage area to the end of LaPorte Av. Does this ring a bell with anyone?

vu72

Quote from: wh on November 17, 2017, 09:05:31 AM
I drove by the parking garage demolition site this morning.  The entire structure is gone.  It looks like they are cleaning up remaining concrete and back filling and leveling the area. While I didn't really see the garage as an eye-sore (even after the hospital was gone), admittedly the area looks better (cleaner) without it. 

I could be wrong about this, but I think I recall seeing/hearing (maybe on this forum) that the University's master plan includes closing part of LaPorte Avenue to thru traffic. I can see definite facility planning advantages of having one contiguous piece of develop-able ground continuing west from the former garage area to the end of LaPorte Av. Does this ring a bell with anyone?

Yes it does.  Take a look at the Master Plan I've attached.  Scroll down to page 11 and you will see the plan.  Looks to me like it is planned to be closed just west of McIntire.

https://www.valpo.edu/masterplan/assets/docs/VU%20MP%20Exec%20Summary_final.pdf
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

Yep, that is the plan. It includes sustaining the parking structure (that is now rubble).  In that context, looking at the page 11 graphic, it is very clear that little planning went into convenient parking near to venues that attract large crowds.

crusadermoe

It could become an absolutely amazing campus. 

Note page 3 and the statement that we "imagine" a student body of 6,000.   

VULB#62

Good to see that athletic facilities are prominent in the list (by their absence)  ::)

crusadermoe

I'm getting a little fuzzy now on where things are located.  Where is Schnabel Hall?     

valporun

Quote from: crusadermoe on November 30, 2017, 10:52:42 PM
I'm getting a little fuzzy now on where things are located.  Where is Schnabel Hall?     

Wasn't Schnabel Hall the front portion of the business/communications building? Urschel being the other half.

wh

Quote from: VULB#62 on November 30, 2017, 09:28:46 AM
Good to see taht athletic facilities are prominent in the list (by their absence)  ::)

Let's suppose that someone elderly has bequeathed an extremely large gift earmarked for athletic facilities.  None of us would be in a position to know that, nor could the University publicize it until that person passes on and it has the assets in hand. Then, suddenly, an announcement is made and a plan springs into action.  I have no idea if that's the case, but I do know of someone who fits the profile I described. In any event, it might explain why athletic facilities are conspicuously absent from the list. Just a guess. 

vu72

Good to see taht athletic facilities are prominent in the list (by their absence)  ::)

Wouldn't the parking lot in front of LeBien help athletics?
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

vu72

Quote from: valporun on December 01, 2017, 08:14:23 AM
Quote from: crusadermoe on November 30, 2017, 10:52:42 PM

Wasn't Schnabel Hall the front portion of the business/communications building? Urschel being the other half.

The map indicates Schnabel isn't part of Urschel, which is a stand alone structure, but part of Kalley-Christopher,where the communications department is housed and presumably where WVUR and VUTV are housed.

https://www.valpo.edu/about/files/2014/07/CampusMapBrochure_WEBFINAL.pdf

crusader05

The fraternities I believe are not being financed by Valpo so thats at least not a priority over athletics.

Glad to see renovations of those residence halls as they are desperately needed.

VULB#62

Quote from: vu72 on December 01, 2017, 09:17:29 AM

Yes, it would help during MBB games.  So indirectly there is an Athletic Department benefit.  However, the original list spotlighted specific projects to, for instance, "university housing" (the rennovation of the dorms).  My snarky comment was that there were no specific projects earmarked for "athletics,"  that's all.

talksalot

Schnabel is the original building and Kallay-Christopher was attached to it as a much bigger addition.  'VUR, Torch, Communications and the TV Studio are in the Schnabel; the Geography / Meteorology departments are in Kallay-Christopher. 

https://www.valpo.edu/about/files/2012/11/Valpo-Campus2017_with-Key_2017_FINAL.pdf

Urschel is the College of Business. and is about 30 feet east of Schnabel Hall.

bbtds

Quote from: wh on December 01, 2017, 09:13:00 AM

Let's suppose that someone elderly has bequeathed an extremely large gift earmarked for athletic facilities.  None of us would be in a position to know that, nor could the University publicize it until that person passes on and it has the assets in hand. Then, suddenly, an announcement is made and a plan springs into action.  I have no idea if that's the case, but I do know of someone who fits the profile I described. In any event, it might explain why athletic facilities are conspicuously absent from the list. Just a guess. 

I sure hope you're correct.

vu72

Quote from: wh on December 01, 2017, 09:13:00 AM

Oh come on wh.  You aren't that elderly!   ;)

agibson

Quote from: vu72 on December 01, 2017, 09:17:29 AM

They've been making progress on this even in the winter. To my surprise, it looks to me like it'll only be a fairly small parking lot. Maybe less than half the size of the plot of land.

They've not poured the pavement yet, but they have put in the curbs and rocks/gravel that I assume will be under the pavement.

They also seem to have graded outside the curbs and even put down some kind of green powder, like I'd expect from a fertilizer/grass seed mix. (Really not sure what this would be doing there in January, so maybe I'm misidentifying it.)