• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

All are welcome in this place

Started by vu84v2, January 30, 2017, 09:57:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agibson

I was pleased to see the letter, and quickly sent. He's done a good job here, and before, of quickly putting out well thought out and well-written statements on important issues, like this one, with implications for our students and campus life.

After so much energy in the streets and in the airports over the weekend, I was hoping there would be strong energy among students and we would see some direct action this week in support of international and Muslim students and other community members on campus. I've not given up, but I haven't seen much rising up organically.

Discussing the news with several of my own internationals students, they're definitely paying attention to the news. And concerned. And in one case changing their travel plans (even though they're not from one of the seven or so most-affected countries). And heartened by the protests around the country and world.

I don't know if all of our students are paying as much attention. It's pretty easy to get absorbed into the daily grind of university life.

There's an information session this afternoon, with legal experts and such, particularly aimed at international students, to help them process the evolving situation.

crusader05

I think the students are concerned although there was more organizing around the women's march. This is not the main point but this is also a financial concern for the University. Graduate Student employment was down this year and much of it was attributed to apprehension about the election. Now, with this, and with the WH acknowledging that the list of countries could grow or some bans would turn permanent that could cause even more of a declien.

bbtds

Quote from: agibson on February 01, 2017, 08:23:56 AMAfter so much energy in the streets and in the airports over the weekend, I was hoping there would be strong energy among students and we would see some direct action this week in support of international and Muslim students and other community members on campus. I've not given up, but I haven't seen much rising up organically.

And yet we expect them to come out in droves to basketball games. The same excuses apply--Greek life, it's on the news (TV & social media), no free food, no alcohol, classes interfere, it's sometimes on Sunday afternoons, etc.

wh

Piddly little organic demonstrations are a waste of time. Like you say kids today are too self-absorbed to get involved in a cause bigger than themselves.

It's far more effective to hire black bloc protestors. They'll come in and break windows, set fires, destroy university property, attack counter protestors, etc. All you need to do is recruit some sleepy-head students to be on-site to give the appearance of organicity and spontaneity.

There are also grants available to help mitigate the cost:

https://www.opensocietyfoundations.org/about

Good luck!

vu84v2

While there are certainly some college students that are too self-absorbed (as there are at all levels of society), the students that I have worked with in the last six months seem to be pretty busy with: church activities, work/internships, studying, playing on other sports teams, charitable/community service work, etc. I find it hard to believe that a majority of students are too self-absorbed - they just have other commitments and struggle with balance.

I agree that protestors from outside the university coming into the campus to protest violently is wrong.

I also think that people are struggling with how to protest Trump, his administration, and the related activists (Yiannapolis, etc.). As repugnant as Trump is, he is also quite savvy at creating so many fronts on which people might disagree that it becomes very difficult to focus anger and protests.