• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Prof. Arlin Meyer RIP

Started by valpopal, February 08, 2017, 11:38:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpopal

I am saddened to report here that one of the most beloved faculty members and longtime Dean of Christ College, Arlin Meyer, passed away this morning. Arlin was a mentor to many students, including quite a few who have been on this discussion board, and he was an avid supporter of all VU sports, always in attendance at basketball, football, volleyball, etc. He was so admired that he was nicknamed "God" by many Christ College students. He was also a great friend to many of us; in fact, he was one of the first to greet and befriend me when I first arrived at Valpo. He will be greatly missed by all in the Valparaiso community.

bbtds

Quote from: valpopal on February 08, 2017, 11:38:56 AM
I am saddened to report here that one of the most beloved faculty members and longtime Dean of Christ College, Arlin Meyer, passed away this morning. Arlin was a mentor to many students, including quite a few who have been on this discussion board, and he was an avid supporter of all VU sports, always in attendance at basketball, football, volleyball, etc. He was so admired that he was nicknamed "God" by many Christ College students. He was also a great friend to many of us; in fact, he was one of the first to greet and befriend me when I first arrived at Valpo. He will be greatly missed by all in the Valparaiso community.

A great man, teacher, mentor and friend.

valporun

I had Professor Meyer for a cross-listed Theology and Christ College course, even though I wasn't in Christ College, that read books by both John Updike and Toni Morrison. He treated me, as a non-Christ College student, with the same respect he showed the CC students. He didn't care what your academic ilk was, he just cared that you shared your opinion, and were open to debate, criticism, and dialogue regardless of how intellectual or intelligent about the topic you were.