• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo FB vs Ivy League

Started by VU2624, February 11, 2017, 12:19:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VU2624

Any thoughts on our illustrious football program venturing east to get a home and home or two going vs those uppity edumacated student athletes from the Ivy League? Seems like a natural fit rather than choosing to catch a beatdown vs. some of the FCS schools Valpo has chosen to play recently and in future games. In fact, there's a chance the team could be competitive in games such as these.

Are there financial considerations which may be in play not evident to an outsider such as myself. Dave coached at one of the institutions and probably has some at least peripheral coaching contacts within the league.

usc4valpo

Good topic. I think the issue is the payout and I think Valpo depends on this to keep their football program afloat. I think this is possible - I think Valpo playing at Soldier Field or better yet Wrigley Field against a Harvard would draw some alums. However, I think when they face Montana or Illinois State the payout may be bigger than playing at the Ivy League stadiums.

BTW, they are some Ivy Leaguers that are not arrogant scum, although in some level of jest I remember MIT students mentioning that the Harvard student work ethic was significantly less.

VU2624

Quote from: usc4valpo on February 11, 2017, 12:37:34 PMGood topic. I think the issue is the payout and I think Valpo depends on this to keep their football program afloat. I think this is possible - I think Valpo playing at Soldier Field or better yet Wrigley Field against a Harvard would draw some alums. However, I think when they face Montana or Illinois State the payout may be bigger than playing at the Ivy League stadiums. BTW, they are some Ivy Leaguers that are not arrogant scum, although in some level of jest I remember MIT students mentioning that the Harvard student work ethic was significantly less.

Before that comment gets misconstrued completely, it was in jest. I know a number of Ivy Leaguers and none of them is any more uppity than anyone else. Our OC is from Penn. Maybe we can get together to play in front of 3500 screaming Pennsylvanians spaced out in Franklin Field and steal Ben Franklin from the rooftop during the night.

VULB#62

While not immediate, we are scheduled for a home and home series with Dartmouth in 2021 and 2022.  In 21 Dartmouth comes to Valpo.  Valpo returns the favor in 22.

The Ivies open their FB schedule much later than most FCS teams.  So when we meet Dartmouth it will be the first game of their season while we will have at least one but probably two games already under our belt.

And as mentioned previous, The Patriot League would also be a much better fit than the MVFC, CAA, Big Sky, etc.

VU2624

Saw that with Dartmouth a few years down the road in the slot used for Sacred Heart the last two years and the Dukes of Duquesne the next two. Those two are likely to be no picnic either. The slot for the game of pain is still open those years after Montana and YSU.

a3uge

When's the last time the football team won a game vs a D1 opponent out of conference? I looked back to 2007 and couldn't find anything - that's at least 10 years. Amazing.

VULB#62

We've been in the PFL since 1993.  Since then I don't see any D-IA or D-IAA wins outside the PFL on the All-Time Results page of the FB web site.

vu72

Quote from: a3uge on February 12, 2017, 10:36:00 PM
When's the last time the football team won a game vs a D1 opponent out of conference? I looked back to 2007 and couldn't find anything - that's at least 10 years. Amazing.

It really wasn't that far back.  We beat Northwestern 85-0!  On October 16, 1920   ;D
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

covufan

Quote from: VULB#62 on February 13, 2017, 09:48:07 AM
We've been in the PFL since 1993.  Since then I don't see any D-IA or D-IAA wins outside the PFL on the All-Time Results page of the FB web site.

Was it Robert Morris on 18 September, 1999.  We also beat them in 1998.  No others that I could find going back to 1990.

VULB#62

Good Catch covufan.  Robert Morris was D-Iaa with us at the time.  They were coached by former Giants TE Joe Walton.  At the time Valpo played them they were in their 5th season of football under Walton.  They were in the NEC by that time.  The NEC was not a scholarship football conference until much later -- so practically speaking they were were the equivalent of any of our PFL teams ----- But they were D-IAA.

VULB#62

BTW here is a post from the PFL Fan Board that had a similar discussion about the natural relationship that could be cultivated with the Ivies.  Traditionally the PFL season kicks off on week four of the season thus allowing PFL teams to schedule OOC games those weekends. And week one is generally on or just before Labor Day.  Also, note that in 20017 Stetson will play 2 Ivies, one of which is on October 7 (Marist also plays Columbia that weekend) so it may be possible  to set the schedule and have the PFL work around it.

Post by Lurking Dog on Feb 10, 2017 at 2:02pm
...from the Ivy League website.

Sep 16 San Diego at Princeton
Sep 16 Dartmouth at Stetson
Sep 16 Jacksonville at Penn
Oct 7 Brown at Stetson
Oct 7 Marist at Columbia

Sep 15 San Diego at Harvard
Sep 15 Princeton at Butler
OPEN DATES Sep 15: Brown, Columbia [Week 3]
OPEN DATE Sep 22: Princeton

Oct 6 Columbia at Marist
OPEN DATES Oct 6: Penn, Princeton
OPEN DATE Oct 13: Yale

2019 (12 games allowed for PFL teams)
Sep 21 Dartmouth at Jacksonville
Sep 21 Harvard at San Diego
Sep 21 Butler at Princeton
Sep 21 Cornell at Marist
OPEN DATES Sep 21: Columbia, Penn [Week 3 if we start the season on September 7th instead of Labor Day weekend]
OPEN DATE Oct 5: Harvard
OPEN DATES Oct 19: Dartmouth, Yale

usc4valpo

No record on the Northwestern University website of an 85-0 loss to Valpo. Michigan or Ohio State maybe, especially if John Pont or Rick Venturi coached. But not Valpo.

that may be Northwestern College of IA.

talksalot

All-Time Record for Northwestern College 391-176-7 (.681) = 574 games played... their all-time records start in 1960.  Twern't them, neither....

Here's a copy of the NU-Wildcat 1920 football schedule:

http://www.nusports.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=73&mobile=skip&print=true&version=1

we ain't on that.

vu72

Quote from: usc4valpo on February 13, 2017, 03:23:03 PM
No record on the Northwestern University website of an 85-0 loss to Valpo. Michigan or Ohio State maybe, especially if John Pont or Rick Venturi coached. But not Valpo.

that may be Northwestern College of IA.

You may be right.  The Valpo record book simply says "Northwestern", not Northwestern University or Northwestern College.  We did play Notre Dame that same year, losing 28-3.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

usc4valpo

covufan

Quote from: vu72 on February 13, 2017, 10:25:13 AM

It really wasn't that far back.  We beat Northwestern 85-0!  On October 16, 1920   ;D
This shows that it was North Central that we beat 85-0!

http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/coaching/alltime_coach_game_by_game.php?coachid=3595&year=1920

George Koegan coached football, basketball and baseball at Valpo.  When he continued at Notre Dame, he mainly coached basketball and baseball, with one year coaching freshman football.  I wonder why he didn't coach more football at ND?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Keogan

bbtds

Quote from: covufan on February 13, 2017, 08:01:54 PMGeorge Koegan coached football, basketball and baseball at Valpo.  When he continued at Notre Dame, he mainly coached basketball and baseball, with one year coaching freshman football.  I wonder why he didn't coach more football at ND?

Keogan arrived at University of Notre Dame. He served as head basketball and baseball coach, as well as assistant to the legendary football coach Knute Rockne.

Who do you think was more popular as a football coach at ND? Keogan or Rockne?

ml2

If you look at the 1921 yearbook (page 219) you can see the opponent referred to as Northwestern College, which has to be the way it got into Valpo's all-time records. I think all of the older game results and all-time rosters are based on the yearbooks.

http://collections.valpo.edu/cdm/compoundobject/collection/yearbooks/id/32709/rec/1

A look at North Central's page confirms they were the team we played, although they seem to dispute the score, claiming to only have lost 83-0.

http://www.northcentralcardinals.com/sports/2009/4/13/FB_0413095852.aspx?id=254

Looking at what the yearbook says about Koegan makes for some interesting reading (page 207). If I remember my Baepler correctly, isn't this the time period where Henry Baker Brown's son was running the University? He tried (but failed) to reverse Valpo's post WWI financial slide by ramping up the athletic programs and Greek life - ultimately leading to the sale to the Lutheran University Association in 1926.

bbtds

George Keogan was building his resume at Valpo.

(on page 206 of the 1921 "The Record" is a picture of George Keogan in his time at Valpo)

At Notre Dame GK was a star.

Keogan's signature at the basketball hall of fame

Ray Meyer's basketball coach at Notre Dame was none other than George Keogan.

Here is Moose Krause, who took over for Keogan as ND's basketball coach, and Ray Meyer presenting the widow of George Keogan with a trophy shortly after George's death.

The book Echoes on the Hardwood tells the story of Keogan's Notre Dame teams of 1936 until his sudden death in 1943. The book covers many years of ND basketball into the future also.

https://books.google.com/books?id=jTiDFHzHcLoC&pg=PA14&lpg=PA14&dq=1943+George+Keogan%27s+funeral&source=bl&ots=xf9VKmram3&sig=ux35epNcWb2ku16mFlJux8tEiUU&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjb-J2PlJDSAhXnzFQKHc6XCzUQ6AEIGjAA#v=onepage&q=1943%20George%20Keogan's%20funeral&f=false

VUOR63

Between 01 and 04 when I played, we beat Saint Francis of Pennsylvania in 2003 rather handily.  After that, there weren't many opportunities to beat FCS opponents other than Tennessee Tech, Murray St and North Dakota State who were all scholarship teams that we really didn't have a prayer against.

valpotx

38 to 6 at that!  That was the last season in which we were good on the football side, and was my 5th/SR year as well.
"Don't mess with Texas"