• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo Soccer Players in the Pros

Started by agibson, February 25, 2017, 04:54:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agibson

Here's an attempt at a place to put assorted news about Valpo soccer players in the pros. All men, so far as I know. Once we get some pro women, we can decide whether to open another thread!

Let's use this first message as a quick summary, occasionally refreshed, and then have details and updates below.

Kyle Zobeck, Valpo '12. FC Dallas (2/21/18). 3rd or 4th string keeper?
Stefan Antonijevic, Valpo '11. Lillestrøm SK. Norwegian 1st Division.
Zev Taublieb. Scandinavian 2nd Division.
Jordan Aidoud. Valpo '16 (or December '15? but also got a masters... remotely? 2017). Jura Sud Foot. French 4th division. 8/16 - present (2018).
Ramone Howell, Valpo (Dec.) '17. Nashville SC in the USL.
Nico Campbell. Tamba Bay Rowdies in the USL

Any others?

Isaiah Madrid - I thought there was something more. But, 1/13/18, I'm seeing tryouts with PDL (4th division?)  Albuquerque Sol and Penn FC.

(I won't bore you with the 90's grads that play local old man leagues with me, or the grad from the 70's or thereabouts who's a Lutheran pastor in the Region, and might still play pick-up.)

agibson

Stefan Antonijevic, Valpo '11, transformed from a striker to a central defender while at Valpo, most recently played two seasons in the NASL (US 2nd Division) with the Tampa Bay Rowdies. Before that it was about two seasons with the NASL Ft. Lauderdale Strikers, after being drafted (but not playing) in the MLS.

I was surprised to just discover that Stefan recently signed a two-year deal to play for Lillestrom in Norway's first division, the Tippeligaen. (Soccer fans may recognize it as the league where former US national team coach Bob Bradley coached, somewhere in the middle of his odyssey from the MLS to the USMNT to the Egyptian national team and Norway and 2nd division France and a memorable, historic, stint with Swansea in the English first division.)

I've always thought of Stefan as Serbian, but he was apparently born in Buffalo Grove, Illinois. He played a bit for Serbian youth sides, but could probably represent Serbia or the US internationally. Great fun to see him in the Washington Post run down of "Americans Abroad"! Norway's in pre-season now, it seems.

http://www.nettavisen.no/sport/fotball/stefan-antonijevic-klar-for-lsk/3423313036.html

http://www.valpoathletics.com/msoccer/news/2016-17/16107/former-crusader-antonijevic-signs-two-year-deal-in-norways-top-professional-league/#.WLILoBIrLUo

[tweet]831575251423203328[/tweet]

It's hard to compare soccer leagues in different countries, but I'm guessing this is a significant upgrade.

agibson

Next up: Kyle Zobeck, Valpo '12, goalie.

Kyle was drafted by MLS FC Dallas, and signed with them. He seemed to be their 3rd string keeper (not bad for somebody right out of college, in a position where age is a virtue). Never made an MLS appearance, but was on the bench a number of times (particularly when their starting goalie, an MLS all-star, was away on international duty). Kyle started frequently for the reserves.

He recently signed on for his first season with the storied New York Cosmos of the (2nd division, currently) NASL. He's been their backup keeper, but has made a number of first team appearances. And won a couple of championships, as a member of the squad. I think there must have been some kind of long-term injury situation that I never heard the details of. But, I'm very happy to see him re-signed.

agibson

Next up: Zev Taublieb, Valpo '14, defensive midfielder.

He played a season with Sacramento Republic FC (USL, US third division), scored a goal, and I thought had broken into the starting 11 at times. A great club that sells out all their home games, and in my opinion has been passed over a couple of times for MLS expansion (their name is now formally in the hat).

Amidst some strange coaching changes at Sacramento (Preki's departure... supposedly to coach in the English Premier League, which never happened), Zev wound up in the USL eastern division instead with the Wilmington Hammerheads, where he played parts of two seasons. It felt like he never broke into the starting 11, but did get regular playing time.

Wikipedia claims he currently plays for an Israeli second division side. Zev has some Israeli connections via the Maccabiah Games etc. so it's not completely crazy. But, I can't find any evidence for it.

There are some other interesting developments. I'll come back to those later.

Still to come: Jordan Aidoud, Nico Campbell, Isaiah Madrid, and other developments with Zev.

valpotx

The Norwegian first division is a step down from MLS, but is a great springboard into higher level European leagues.  Many Americans have taken this route in the past, with several experiencing success, and others coming back to the US.
"Don't mess with Texas"

agibson

Quote from: valpotx on February 26, 2017, 02:49:31 AM
The Norwegian first division is a step down from MLS, but is a great springboard into higher level European leagues.  Many Americans have taken this route in the past, with several experiencing success, and others coming back to the US.

Mix!

valpotx

Yep, but he makes the most sense because he was born in Norway :-).  I know that Charlie Davies got his European start in Sweden, Josh Gatt was in Norway, etc.
"Don't mess with Texas"

agibson

I thought I'd started this thread before! Great news for Kyle Zobeck.

[tweet]966347801226510337[/tweet]

[tweet]966344667360120837[/tweet]

[tweet]966341819863793665[/tweet]

agibson

[I've also updated the first post in the thread. An attempt to use it as a quick summary of where our alumni are playing.]

I don't follow FC Dallas to speak of, and it's been a while since I checked in on the NY Cosmos, so I'm trying to figure out the story and prospects.

The NASL has been sort of a mess lately, as the USL has been rising. The NY Cosmos have, for decades I guess, been a sort of a brand of their own. And, I suspect, in recent seasons were still spending more than your average NASL team. Maybe now they're liquidating their roster, to some extent, even as their manager still works to salvage their league.

Jimmy Maurer has been the Cosmos #1 for a number of years (105 appearances), with Kyle as his backup. Last season Kyle got two starts. Dallas had brought Maurer up on loan for a week to back up now-departed #2 goalie Chris Seitz (past and present #1 is Jesse Gonzales, who's been on the US roster). They signed Maurer permanently in December or so, about when Seitz departed.

I heard some mention on twitter of a 4th Dallas keeper besides. So, I'm not sure if Zobeck is the likely #3 or #4 keeper (or #2?).

But, presumably (maybe not always), being a backup in MLS is better than a backup in the NASL.

I'm surprised the FC Dallas announcement spends more time on his reserve work with the Cosmos than it does with his reserve time with Dallas. He even had some bench appearances for the main FC Dallas side, in his one season up with them after being drafted, but never appeared in a game for the "senior" team.

FC Dallas does play in Panama tonight in the CONCACAF Champions League. I don't know if Kyle's making the trip (he might even still be living in New York). These games are often very hard to follow... (Sometimes on FS2 or similar channels. I don't quickly see _any_ coverage for tonight's game. I'm not even sure there was any for last night's Toronto-Colorado match that had some big names playing.) (Looks like there is streaming coverage of tonight's game https://www.fcdallas.com/post/2018/02/20/how-watch-fc-dallas-tauro-fc-ccl-round-16-leg-one)

agibson

Should have got these quotes in before the Zobeck update, alas.

Quote from: agibson on January 23, 2018, 11:49:11 AM
Stand-out Ramone Teacha' Howell just signed with the new Nashville USL (minor league) club

[tweet]955848387760476160[/tweet]

Should be a good time to be playing soccer in Nashville. First season in the USL. With an MLS team coming. Should be a lot of energy.

The other recent signees look like non-D1 guys. So, hopefully that means there's playing time for Ramone, but I'm wondering how competitive the side will be.

In other news, goalkeeper coach David Stroud is moving on: taking a JUCO head coaching job. Down the road in Benton Harbor, Michigan. Looks like probably a rebuilding effort with the team going 1-10-1 last season. The program had some success in its first season, having operated for five seasons now under its inaugural head coach. Sounds like a chance for Stroud to cut his teeth and show his stuff.

Congrats to David! (And, to add to the congratulations, he's just become a father for the first time!) He'll definitely be missed.

[tweet]954359782055477248[/tweet]

agibson

Quote from: agibson on February 13, 2018, 05:55:05 PM
Nice to see that Zev Taublieb is still at it. Signed in the Swedish second division after apparently scoring in both of his trial matches.

[tweet]963150769024315392[/tweet]

After leaving Sacramento it seemed like he never managed to break in to the lineup, neither at Charlotte nor Wilmington. Just an occasional sub appearance. So, I'm glad to see he's still got some fire in his belly.

IndyValpo

Quote from: agibson on February 21, 2018, 11:32:09 AM
[I've also updated the first post in the thread. An attempt to use it as a quick summary of where our alumni are playing.]

I don't follow FC Dallas to speak of, and it's been a while since I checked in on the NY Cosmos, so I'm trying to figure out the story and prospects.

The NASL has been sort of a mess lately, as the USL has been rising. The NY Cosmos have, for decades I guess, been a sort of a brand of their own. And, I suspect, in recent seasons were still spending more than your average NASL team. Maybe now they're liquidating their roster, to some extent, even as their manager still works to salvage their league.

Jimmy Maurer has been the Cosmos #1 for a number of years (105 appearances), with Kyle as his backup. Last season Kyle got two starts. Dallas had brought Maurer up on loan for a week to back up now-departed #2 goalie Chris Seitz (past and present #1 is Jesse Gonzales, who's been on the US roster). They signed Maurer permanently in December or so, about when Seitz departed.

I heard some mention on twitter of a 4th Dallas keeper besides. So, I'm not sure if Zobeck is the likely #3 or #4 keeper (or #2?).

But, presumably (maybe not always), being a backup in MLS is better than a backup in the NASL.

I'm surprised the FC Dallas announcement spends more time on his reserve work with the Cosmos than it does with his reserve time with Dallas. He even had some bench appearances for the main FC Dallas side, in his one season up with them after being drafted, but never appeared in a game for the "senior" team.

FC Dallas does play in Panama tonight in the CONCACAF Champions League. I don't know if Kyle's making the trip (he might even still be living in New York). These games are often very hard to follow... (Sometimes on FS2 or similar channels. I don't quickly see _any_ coverage for tonight's game. I'm not even sure there was any for last night's Toronto-Colorado match that had some big names playing.) (Looks like there is streaming coverage of tonight's game https://www.fcdallas.com/post/2018/02/20/how-watch-fc-dallas-tauro-fc-ccl-round-16-leg-one)

This is surprising as Kyle only played in a few games in a couple of seasons with the Cosmos.  Dallas has an USL affiliation with the OKC Energy so perhaps he will get some regular work down there.

The NASL is currently on life support. They only had 8 teams last season. Two folded, two moved to the USL, Puerto Rico was literally blown away last season.  Miami and Jacksonville are starting off in a semi-pro league. Two expansion teams in California are on hold. Allegedly they will start in the fall.

valpotx

Congrats to him.  I hope that he eventually gets to turn out for our team!  Gonzalez is going to be tough to beat out, so he is playing for backup minutes.
"Don't mess with Texas"

agibson

Quote from: valpotx on February 21, 2018, 02:16:34 PM
Congrats to him.  I hope that he eventually gets to turn out for our team!  Gonzalez is going to be tough to beat out, so he is playing for backup minutes.

Seems like a bit of a goalkeeping whirlwind at Dallas these last years.

Was it Fernandez and Seitz that Zobeck was behind in his first stint at Dallas?

And then somehow Fernandez was let go when Kennedy was signed? But Kennedy was rather quickly replaced by Gonzalez? And was Seitz around more or less that whole time, at times wresting the starting job from Gonzalez, but now Seitz is gone?

Complicated business. And, knowing at least the folklore that goalkeepers mature later, I wonder how they do eventually break through. If it's normal to spend a lengthy period as a 2nd or 3rd option, or what. Or if it's better to find first team minutes in the USL or something.

It sounds like Gonzalez may be on the rise. If he gets more call-ups as the USMNT reboots in these next years, it could at least create bench opportunities for Zobeck (and the CCL may do the same; we'll see if Maurer starts tonight, I guess, or maybe this will be a pre-season tune-up for Gonzalez). Like what happened when Fernandez was away for Peru, in Kyle's first stint at Dallas.

valpotx

Yes, it was Raul Fernandez, who was a solid GK for us.
"Don't mess with Texas"

mvandersee

Kyle Zobeck is on the bench as the backup keeper to Maurer for a 2nd straight match as Jesse Gonzalez recovers from an injury
https://twitter.com/FCDallas/status/975462043967991810

agibson

[tweet]980882625819758593[/tweet]

There must be a story here, but I don't know it.

Transfer who played his first year last year. I'd not have thought he was graduating. Figured he had another year of eligibility in any case.

2017 United Soccer Coaches All-West Region Second-Team
2017 First-Team All-Missouri Valley Conference
2017 MVC All-Tournament Team

Went all Lionel Messi in the MVP tournament against Drake and made Sports Center.

Bright future. I'd not have guessed that 4th tier semi-pro soccer was the next step, at least not yet, in that future.

IndyValpo

Quote from: agibson on April 02, 2018, 02:36:50 PM
[tweet]980882625819758593[/tweet]

There must be a story here, but I don't know it.

Transfer who played his first year last year. I'd not have thought he was graduating. Figured he had another year of eligibility in any case.

2017 United Soccer Coaches All-West Region Second-Team
2017 First-Team All-Missouri Valley Conference
2017 MVC All-Tournament Team

Went all Lionel Messi in the MVP tournament against Drake and made Sports Center.

Bright future. I'd not have guessed that 4th tier semi-pro soccer was the next step, at least not yet, in that future.
The NPSL is a mixture of college players and "professional". I am not sure he loses his eligibility.  As 4th tier goes, Detroit City is one of if not the best.

agibson

Quote from: IndyValpo on April 02, 2018, 03:21:16 PMThe NPSL is a mixture of college players and "professional". I am not sure we loses his eligibility.  As 4th tier goes, Detroit City is one of if not the best.

Interesting...  If they let him miss the pre-season, more or less, it could be a thing... It seems that most of our better players summer in the PDL (retaining their eligibility). But, maybe something similar is possible in the NPSL?

valpotx

He has to be coming back, as he has a platform to go much higher than this level out of college.
"Don't mess with Texas"

agibson

Quote from: agibson on February 21, 2018, 12:12:43 PM
Quote from: agibson on February 13, 2018, 05:55:05 PM
Nice to see that Zev Taublieb is still at it. Signed in the Swedish second division after apparently scoring in both of his trial matches.

[tweet]963150769024315392[/tweet]

After leaving Sacramento it seemed like he never managed to break in to the lineup, neither at Charlotte nor Wilmington. Just an occasional sub appearance. So, I'm glad to see he's still got some fire in his belly.

Nice to see Zev getting what looks like fairly regular minutes. A few starts, a few appearances off the bench. An assist on a game-winner (while reduced to 10 men!) a few weeks ago.

mvandersee

mvandersee

Detroit City ended up drawing 1-1 and advancing on penalty kicks over the Michigan Bucks. DCFC will play at FC Cincinnati of USL on May 16th in the 2nd round of the US Open Cup

Rafa was subbed out in the 113th minute. Not sure if he'll get an assist, but he had a header off the bar that fell to a teammate who scored to take the lead 1-0 in the 58th min. He was mentioned a bunch on the DCFC twitter account for a few shots on goal and key passes in the attack.
https://twitter.com/DetroitCityFC/status/994386020148961281

agibson

Ramone Howell's Nashville USL club knocked off MLS side Colorado in the US Open Cup last night. They'll play fellow USL member Louisville, so at least one USL team will make it through to the quarter-finals. (A third, Sacramento for whom Zev Taublieb once played, knocked off Seattle.)

It doesn't look like Ramone's played yet this season. Maybe an injury? They gave him jersey #4, which you'd think wouldn't go to a long-term project. (I admittedly don't trust USL stats enough to know whether he might have appeared on the bench at some point. But, I don't think he's been in a game.)

agibson

In other Open Cup news, Zobeck was on the bench as Dallas beat (USL) San Antonio 1-0. But, Maurer went 90.

Obviously USL teams can win these games, but a little too bad they didn't give Zobeck a look in the Cup match.