• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Woodson's Richmond Team

Started by covufan, February 28, 2017, 05:26:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

covufan

Looks like Tracy Woodson has lost a few players for awhile:

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/18791610/richmond-spiders-baseball-players-suspended-playing-fantasy-football

Report: Richmond baseball players suspended over fantasy football

Five Richmond baseball players who have been ruled ineligible by the NCAA were involved in fantasy football, leading to their suspensions to start the season, according to a Richmond Times-Dispatch report.

The university announced Feb. 17 that five student-athletes on the baseball team had committed secondary violations and would be ineligible for competition until the NCAA completes the reinstatement process.

The Times-Dispatch, citing multiple unnamed sources, later reported that the secondary violations were related to the players' participation in fantasy football.

The university, per athletic department policy, declined to offer further comment when reached by ESPN on Tuesday and has not identified the players involved.

The NCAA considers fantasy sports contests with an entry fee to be a form of sports wagering and therefore off-limits to student-athletes, regardless of sport.

ESPN has reached out to the NCAA and Atlantic-10 Conference for comment.

Fantasy sports are explicitly legal in Virginia and regulated by the state's Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services.

The Spiders are 3-4 on the season. Their Tuesday game against James Madison was rescheduled because of inclement weather.

-----------

I'm sure there are a lot of NCAA athletes that have played some form of fantasy football.  If they were at one of these 'pay' sites and playing with a substantial amount of money, then I'd be worried.

a3uge

VULB#62

J   E   E   Z   !!!!! 

I feel for the kids cuz who would have thunk doing fantasy sports IN THE FALL like millions of people is an NCAA rules violation.  Would they be suspended if they went to Las Vegas and gambled on the slots, blackjack yada, yada?  No. 

Dumb is too kind a word.

valpo64

valpotx

That is just dumb.  I don't think that they ever had rules for governing fantasy sports when I was playing, since they were just gaining traction, but if they did, every school would have had many players suspended. 
"Don't mess with Texas"