• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2017-18 VU Schedule

Started by justducky, March 07, 2017, 12:20:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VU2014

Paul raises some interesting questions.

I will likely have zero major complaints about the Conference schedule this year because we already won by upgrading conferences and joining the Missouri Valley Conference.

https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/905084600229212160
https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/905084745402417152
https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/905085003008278532
https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/905085271187886081
https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/905085617108897795

talksalot

SIU SCHEDULE IS OUT

They start at UNI on 12/28... and have a home game on New Years Eve with Drake

Saturday, January 6th, At Valparaiso
Saturday, February 3rd, At Carbondale

wh

I think I'm going to start a "Valpo Dumb" topic, highlighting areas where the university is simply too stupid to get out of its own way relative to maximizing the potential of its men's basketball program. 

The first one we've already discussed - eliminating all parking adjacent to its basketball venue. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot. Classic dumb.

Here's another "Valpo Dumb" I just discovered.  The MVC Tournament is March 1-4.  So, when does Valpo's spring break begin?  You guessed it - that very weekend.  7 of the other 9 schools - SIU, Illinois State, Indiana State, Drake, Missouri State, Bradley, and Northern Iowa - all begin Spring Break the following weekend.  So, of course, their students will be in full force at the tournament, while we will be lucky to have 10 straggler students there.  And get this, every university in the conference but Valpo has a 1-week Spring Break. 

These are such "low hanging fruit" issues a 6th grader could figure them out.  Wake up, sleepy heads at 1700 Chapel Drive.  :-[

M

I don't know, but I'd assume the academic schedule was set before this invite happened?  Not that it would've made a difference at all.

crusadermoe

Should start a new thread for the MVC schedule.   It just came out on facebook.

I expected to play FOUR Saturday road games.  That makes sense.  NIU on a Saturday will be brutal.

But WHY are we playing just TWO Saturday home games.   It looks like we volunteered to host TWO SUNDAY games...?   wtf

VU2014

I don't see this administration ever changing the breaks to help out Valpo Basketball.

I'm sure it might be a logistical nightmare changing student/faculty breaks around. I'm sure certain events & activities are planned out well ahead of time that run into breaks

valpopal

This team will be challenged in December with six away games and no home games for more than a month (11/28-12/31). I don't mind since students aren't around much of that month anyway. Also, I notice Valpo apparently has made an exception in an old policy of never scheduling games during final exam week by adding Northwestern on the 14th.

wh

Just seeing the opponent names on the conference schedule is yet another reminder how great this move is!  18 games against quality opponents, and I'm excited about all of them!

talksalot

Road Trip fans....couple of Saturday options; weather permitting...

Jan 13th,
it's about 340 miles from the Chapel to the UNI Dome
and two weeks later...
it's about 150 miles from the Chapel to the Illinois State Arena on January 27th
and the following week...
it's about 337 miles from the Chapel to the Southern Illinois Arena on February 3rd
and to close out the regular season
it's about 370 miles from the Chapel to the Drake ticket office on February 24th

Not including the game on December 9th, because everyone knows "You can't get to Muncie from here"...

VU2014

Which Conference Games are you guys most looking forward to next season?

humbleopinion

I have to say that the Sunday/Wednesday format works well for me.  I will have many fewer conflicts.  It may make my home life a bit less harmonious as the fewer conflicts means the more evenings I'll be out of the house.  My arguments that distance makes the heart grow fonder are not well-received.
Beamin' Beacons

wh

Quote from: M on September 05, 2017, 12:14:14 PM
I don't know, but I'd assume the academic schedule was set before this invite happened?

Of course... ::)

Valpower

Quote from: VU2014 on September 05, 2017, 04:20:46 PM
Which Conference Games are you guys most looking forward to next season?
In general, I'm excited by all of them, but the Loyola game has an interesting quality to it in that we get to see how much they've improved as a result of better competition and recruiting potential.  Even when they weren't considered great in terms of overall record, our contests with them were never a given.  How we do against them will tell us how much work we have to do to get to the top of the Valley.  With resounding wins (especially with Valpo rebuilding and Loyola peaking) it'll be the opportunity to remind the MVC that Loyola was the wrong HL team to have picked back then--a refrain from the MVC fans that Ramblers are probably tired of hearing.

bigmosmithfan1

I'm excited for the entire conference schedule as well. As wh put it, every single game is of high quality. For those of us who've been following this program since its earliest days in Division I, it's still a rush to see those names. Many of these programs are ones that we couldn't even dream of competing with 30 years ago, now we're conference mates with them. It's really, really cool.

EddieCabot

Quote from: bigmosmithfan1 on September 06, 2017, 02:50:57 PM
I'm excited for the entire conference schedule as well. As wh put it, every single game is of high quality. For those of us who've been following this program since its earliest days in Division I, it's still a rush to see those names. Many of these programs are ones that we couldn't even dream of competing with 30 years ago, now we're conference mates with them. It's really, really cool.

Agreed.  Attendance for conference games should increase dramatically, assuming Valpo spends a few $ on marketing to let fans know they're playing Ill State or UNI, not YSU or NKU.

justducky

Quote from: EddieCabot on September 07, 2017, 09:51:34 AMAgreed.  Attendance for conference games should increase dramatically, assuming Valpo spends a few $ on marketing to let fans know they're playing Ill State or UNI, not YSU or NKU.
Yep. Now if only we had some parking within hiking distance of the ARC, everything would be good!  ;)

oklahomamick

A competitive team with a Vashil or Hammick hammer also helps fill the seats. 

I really hope we have a good team for our first year in the mvc.  I think we will be competitive but I would have loved to seen some of our past teams in the MVC...... :twocents:
CRUSADERS!!!

bbtds

Quote from: EddieCabot on September 07, 2017, 09:51:34 AM
Quote from: bigmosmithfan1 on September 06, 2017, 02:50:57 PM

Agreed.  Attendance for conference games should increase dramatically, assuming Valpo spends a few $ on marketing to let fans know they're playing Ill State or UNI, not YSU or NKU.

I always find it interesting when I continue to remind St Louis sports fans that SLU is no longer in the MVC in conversations about Valpo joining the MVC. I suppose a lot of that is due to the Valley being headquartered in St Louis. When you make changes it takes a huge win in conference or just a lot of time for fans to know what competition you are playing against. It will be a while before Northern Indiana sports fans know Valpo is in the the Valley.

crusadermoe

Athlon's PreSeason magazine is on the racks.   

They forecast;

1 - Mo State  (player of the year - Alize Johnson)
2 - UNI
3 - Loyola
4- Illinois  St.
5- Valpo

Forgot the rest

EddieCabot

Quote from: crusadermoe on September 07, 2017, 09:26:40 PM

They forecast;

2 - UNI
3 - Loyola
4- Illinois  St.
5- Valpo

Forgot the rest

As expected given the loss of Alec, but I doubt they fully considered the quality of the transfers and freshmen that Valpo is adding.  I'd be surprised if Valpo isn't at least top 3.  As vu72 has pointed out, Bakari is a stud and Burton could be a POY contender.  The guys will have a chip on the shoulder after predictions like this.

vu72

Quote from: EddieCabot on September 07, 2017, 09:42:03 PM
Quote from: crusadermoe on September 07, 2017, 09:26:40 PM

They forecast;

2 - UNI
3 - Loyola
4- Illinois  St.
5- Valpo

Forgot the rest

As expected given the loss of Alec, but I doubt they fully considered the quality of the transfers and freshmen that Valpo is adding.  I'd be surprised if Valpo isn't at least top 3.  As vu72 has pointed out, Bakari is a stud and Burton could be a POY contender.  The guys will have a chip on the shoulder after predictions like this.

The magazine has given Tevonn some props, predicting that he will be First Team All conference.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VU2014

A few National TV broadcasts announced against the Big 10 teams.
https://twitter.com/ValpoBasketball/status/906199264249962496

Anyone know when the MVC will announce its broadcast schedule? I wondering how many ESPN2, ESPNU, & Comcast SportsNet Chicago games will be broadcast next season.

The MVC signed a 24 game broadcast package with the CSN back in 2015
http://www.mvc-sports.com/news/2015/10/2/IMPORTED_STORY_8284_131414122691207387.aspx?path=mbball

MVC ANNOUNCES 24-GAME BASKETBALL PACKAGE
"ST. LOUIS -- The Missouri Valley Conference will clear a 24-game men's basketball television package on FOX Sports Midwest and Comcast SportsNet Chicago in 2015-16, Commissioner Doug Elgin announced today.

 The Valley, with Niles Media Group of Kansas City serving as its production company, has worked in conjunction with FOX Sports Midwest -- along with its sister regional cable outlets FOX Sports Indiana and FOX Sports Kansas City -- and Comcast SportsNet Chicago to clear the high-definition telecasts.

 ESPN3 -- ESPN's digital network -- will also distribute the telecasts outside the league's five-state footprint on FOX Sports Midwest and Comcast SportsNet Chicago.  

 The telecasts will also be streamed on FOX Sports GO within the FOX Sports Midwest footprint.

 "For our regional television network, we made the decision in the spring of 1993 to bring our operation in-house, and through the years, our product has flourished as a direct result from our relationships with FOX Sports Midwest and Comcast SportsNet Chicago," said Elgin, who is in his 28th year with the Conference.

 "This year, 18 of our regular-season league men's basketball telecasts will be shown by our regional sports network partners. And it's incredible to me that this will be the 20th-consecutive year that our games will be distributed by FOX Sports Midwest," said Elgin.

 "Finding consistent programming windows that make sense for our teams and our fans is challenging, and when you factor professional content into the equation, it can be a daunting task," said Jack R. Watkins, MVC Associate Commissioner. "It's through support shown by Jack Donovan (senior vice president/general manager) at FOX Sports and Phil Bedella (vice president/general manager) at Comcast SportsNet Chicago that we continually achieve our objectives."

 "FOX and Comcast have been unwavering in their commitment to the league, and their involvement continues to spread our 109-year-old brand," he added.

 The nine-week telecast package, which features contests on Saturday afternoons and Tuesday-Wednesday nights, begins on Wednesday, Dec. 30, with Southern Illinois visiting Loyola at Gentile Arena in Chicago, Ill., in a 7 p.m. Central telecast.

 The men's basketball regular-season package in January features Evansville at Missouri State (Jan. 2), Illinois State at Indiana State (Jan. 9), Bradley at Loyola (Jan. 13), Loyola at UNI (Jan. 16), UNI at Illinois State (Jan. 23), Drake at Illinois State (Jan. 26), UNI at Bradley (Jan. 27) and Indiana State at Loyola (Jan. 30).

 In the month of February, telecasts include Evansville at UNI (Feb. 3), Missouri State at Evansville (Feb. 6), Drake at Southern Illinois (Feb. 13), Evansville atDrake (Feb. 17), Southern Illinois at Evansville (Feb. 20), Evansville at Bradley(Feb. 23) and Southern Illinois at IllinoisState (Feb. 24).

 In addition to the 16-game regular-season package produced by the Conference, FOX Sports Midwest and Comcast SportsNet Chicago will also clear two games produced by Cox Communications of Wichita -- Wichita State at Missouri State (Jan. 13) and Southern Illinois at Wichita State (Feb. 3).

 "Balancing availability of programming that appeals to local fan bases and recognizing the brand of a team that has reached at least the round of NCAA Sweet 16 in two of the last three seasons, FOX Sports Midwest and Comcast SportsNet Chicago will clear these telecasts to provide additional exposure beyond the competing teams' respective footprints," said Watkins.

 "We are grateful that Mark Ewing (programming manager) and Cox Communications will permit these telecasts to be distributed on FOX Sports Midwest, FOX Sports Indiana and Comcast SportsNet Chicago," said Watkins.

 Coverage of the 2016 State Farm MVC Men's Basketball Championship -- the league's 26th consecutive postseason tournament in St. Louis -- on March 3-6 will feature nine telecasts, including the title tilt on CBS Sports on March 6 -- marking the 11th-straight year the championship game airs on CBS.

 Both opening-round games on March 3, and the four quarterfinal games on March 4, will air on FOX Sports Midwest, FOX Sports Indiana, FOX Sports Kansas City, Comcast SportsNet Chicago and ESPN3 outside the five-state RSN footprint.

 The semifinal games on March 5, will be shown on CBS Sports Network for the first time, and the title contest on March 6, will air at 1 p.m. Central on CBS Sports."

VU2014

I've been telling people Southeastern Louisiana and Samford are much better then people think next season, both are going to be home games. Ball State also is on their list. Those 3 games won't be cake walks and probably will test our young team.

https://twitter.com/CC_Report/status/907075269462188032
https://twitter.com/CC_Report/status/907081922207031296

crusadermoe

Sorry to go off sequence here, but no one has addressed my important question of why we are not playing FOUR home conference games.  It appears that we have opted for TWO SUNDAY games as HOME WEEKEND games.   Why????

Can someone in the know address this??  As pointed out 20 posts earlier by Paul Oren, Valpo draws its best crowds on Saturday nights. Sunday afternoons seem pretty dead and home court  is a valuable asset to leverage.