• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Jerry Slocum retires

Started by VU75, March 07, 2017, 10:26:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VU75

Jerry Slocum announced he is stepping down as Youngstown State coach. 

a3uge

Woo! Maybe they'll hire an aspiring young coach that wants to actually do something with the program?

bbtds

They showed on the video board that Jim Tressel (YSU president & former Ohio State football coach) was at the HLT and I think he must have talked to the YSU AD and they agreed that there is much potential for growth of the YSU basketball program after they knocked off Oakland in the tournament. I wonder if Tressel had ever seen that kind of excitement in the student body before outside of YSU football. I bet they asked Slocum if he was ready to take the program to a higher level and he decided this was as good as time as ever to retire.

valporun

valpo64

For some reason, I just can't understand the sleeze J. Tressel being President of YSU.

VU2014

QuoteFor some reason, I just can't understand the sleeze J. Tressel being President of YSU.

"sleeze" may be a bit strong. Didn't the "scandal" at OSU that did him in was that some of his players and with selling autographed merch for free tatoos and selling their team gear.

Thats small potatoes compared to a lot of other things going on in the NCAA. (specifically Men's college Football & Basketball)

Not saying he's a saint but there are/were far worse coaches in the NCAA. I'd bet my life savings most of the Power Conference schools are paying their players in some for of compensation in order to entice them to play for their school and have no doubt Tressel turned blinded eye too it. Major college athletics in football/basketball is a business and ethics sort of get thrown out the doors unfortunately.

As for Tressel being President of YSU, it sort of makes sense too me and was a "good" hire for them. The Job description a University's President most has to putting on a good face for the University and RAISING $. Jim Tressel can raise $. He's dealt with raising $ from booster/alumni his whole career and is good at it. Also YSU always has wanted to push the schools football program to FBS and Tressel is the man to get the job done. He's the only one who could convince Bo Pelini to take over that job. They've been successful in football.

Now only if Tressel and their AD would FINALLY actually put resources into their Basketball program or leave!! YSU is a that ball chained to the rest of the leagues ankle and they've shown zero interest in getting off their @$$ and making an investment in improving their basketball program.

talksalot

So, with Slocum gone at YSU and Waters gone at CSU, outside of KK, what is the seniority list of HL coaches?

bbtds

Quote from: talksalot on March 09, 2017, 08:03:03 PM
So, with Slocum gone at YSU and Waters gone at CSU, outside of KK, what is the seniority list of HL coaches?

Greg Kampe - Oakland - 2013
Linc Darner - Green Bay - 2015
John Brannen - Northern Kentucky - 2015
Steve McClain - UIC - 2015
Matt Lottich - Valpo - 2016
Scott Nagy - Wright State - 2016
Bacari Alexander - Detroit Mercy - 2016
LaVall Jordan - Milwaukee - 2016
vacant - Youngstown State - 2017
vacant - Cleveland State - 2017

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: bbtds on March 09, 2017, 08:42:04 PM
Quote from: talksalot on March 09, 2017, 08:03:03 PM

Greg Kampe - Oakland - 2013
Linc Darner - Green Bay - 2015
Steve McClain - UIC - 2015
Scott Nagy - Wright State - 2016

Scary thing.  I'd go back to the 1980s for Kampe though.  After all, he was still at the helm of OU.  But for all of the other coaches, I believe those are the actual first years as the head coaches of their programs which is telling.

I've got confidence the league is full of energy and heading the correct direction with these young coaches.  Better the respective schools not settle for mediocrity.

bbtds

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on March 09, 2017, 11:04:28 PMScary thing.  I'd go back to the 1980s for Kampe though.  After all, he was still at the helm of OU.

That is a list of Horizon League coaches and their tenure in the HL. Kampe was not a Horizon League coach until 2013. Nagy was also a Summit League coach with SDSU before moving to Wright State and the HL. If you count Kampe's time in the Summit then you should count Nagy's time in the Summit too. Where does the back counting end?

StlVUFan

Quote from: bbtds on March 08, 2017, 12:13:03 AM
They showed on the video board that Jim Tressel (YSU president & former Ohio State football coach) was at the HLT and I think he must have talked to the YSU AD and they agreed that there is much potential for growth of the YSU basketball program after they knocked off Oakland in the tournament. I wonder if Tressel had ever seen that kind of excitement in the student body before outside of YSU football. I bet they asked Slocum if he was ready to take the program to a higher level and he decided this was as good as time as ever to retire.
I'm pretty sure Tressel was sitting in the row right in front of me and several seats to my right.  The face was a dead-ringer.  I wasn't positive, and didn't try to confirm.

Might I suggest that the biggest way for there to be improvement in the basketball program is for the athletic department as a whole to pay a little more attention to them in the budgeting process.  Slocum retired, which is how I always figured it would be.  He's done his time coaching basketball at an FCS football school.  Maybe when they get the payout for their run to the title game this year they can funnel some of that money to the basketball program to help with recruiting, etc.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: bbtds on March 10, 2017, 12:53:37 AM
Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on March 09, 2017, 11:04:28 PMScary thing.  I'd go back to the 1980s for Kampe though.  After all, he was still at the helm of OU.

That is a list of Horizon League coaches and their tenure in the HL. Kampe was not a Horizon League coach until 2013. Nagy was also a Summit League coach with SDSU before moving to Wright State and the HL. If you count Kampe's time in the Summit then you should count Nagy's time in the Summit too. Where does the back counting end?

Is SDSU in the HL now?  My point is tenure while at the HL school doesn't show the big picture.  Kampe back to the 1980s should count because it's all with OU.  There is continuity, and that's what I'm looking for when we discuss coach tenure in the HL teams of now.

bbtds

Greg Kampe - Oakland - 2013 (was in other conferences and divisions with Oakland since 1984)
Linc Darner - Green Bay - 2015 (was in other divisions with St. Joe (IN) & Florida Southern since 2002)
Steve McClain - UIC - 2015 (was in another conference with Wyoming from 1998 to 2007)
Scott Nagy - Wright State - 2016 (was with SDSU in other divisions and the Summit League since 1995)

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: bbtds on March 10, 2017, 06:56:40 AM
Greg Kampe - Oakland - 2013 (was in other conferences and divisions with Oakland since 1984)
Linc Darner - Green Bay - 2015 (was in other divisions with St. Joe (IN) & Florida Southern since 2002)
Steve McClain - UIC - 2015 (was in another conference with Wyoming from 1998 to 2007)
Scott Nagy - Wright State - 2016 (was with SDSU in other divisions and the Summit League since 1995)

As per usual I am either explaining poorly or you are missing the point.  Kampe has been with OU very nearly every year since I've BEEN ALIVE.  Putting 2013 next to his name is purely semantics, something a data analyst loves to do yet explains nothing.  He IS the longest tenured coach in the league by miles upon miles.

-Alex Pieters 4 Prez

valporun

The original post about "seniority of HL coaches" was vague, so I can see where the confusion is in career length of coaching tenure, current coaching tenure, or time in the HL tenure. Each option is interesting to look into, but I'm glad to see the "youth movement" in the Horizon League now. Yes, half the league's coaches have been coaching somewhere prior to their current position, but outside of Nagy and Kampe, no one has been at their current post long enough to be on a hot seat. This will be good for the league in the next few years in recruiting, scheduling, and growth in how basketball is looked at in the HL.

valpo64

I believe that "King" K is the only coach OU has had since they started their men's b-ball program.  Not sure though.

StlVUFan

Quote from: valpo64 on March 10, 2017, 11:38:00 AM
I believe that "King" K is the only coach OU has had since they started their men's b-ball program.  Not sure though.
I believe that is incorrect.  He's the only coach they've had as a Division I team, that much is true.  I do not know the names of any of the coaches that came before him.

valpo64

I know he was there a number of years  before they went D-1.

StlVUFan

Quote from: valpo64 on March 10, 2017, 09:57:50 PM
I know he was there a number of years  before they went D-1.
Yep.  His team lost to then-D II Northern Kentucky a few times in the NCAA tourney.

talksalot

The Oakland men's basketball program began competing in the 1967 season, 10 years after the university opened. Originally nicknamed the Pioneers, they won their first NCAA game 109–106 in overtime against Albion. The Pioneers were without a conference until 1974 when they joined the Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (GLIAC).

The first year as members of the GLIAC, Oakland hired Greg Kampe as an assistant.  Kampe has the fifth-longest tenure of all active Division I coaches.[4] Oakland won two regular season GLIAC championships, in 1995–96 and 1996–97, their final two seasons in the league. In a 1993 game against Madonna, Oakland scored 91 points in the first half, on their way to a 189–107 victory.[5] That game set school records for most points in a half (98) and largest margin of victory (82). The next three seasons, OU scored more than 100 points 30 times, winning 29 of those games.[5]

Oakland played at the Division II level until 1997 when they changed their nickname to the Golden Grizzlies and began the transition to Division I. OU opened the Athletics Center O'rena in 1998 against Michigan State. When the O'rena was being built, home basketball games were played in the Sports Dome, an inflatable "bubble" used for practice by Oakland's athletic teams during the winter.[6] The original basketball stadium was in the Hollie L. Lepley Sports Center.[7]

The Golden Grizzlies completed the transition to Division I in 1999 and joined the Mid-Continent Conference (now known as The Summit League).

The Golden Grizzlies joined the Horizon League starting in the 2013–14 season.

Coaching History:

Dick Robinson 67-68    6-15
Gene Bolden 68-76    89-114
Jim Mitchell 76-79     27-56
Lee Frederick 79-84    63-72
King Kampe   84-today...   582-423

valpo64

Thanks for the info, Talksalot.

OUAlum

Greg Kampe was never an assistant at Oakland. He was an assistant at Toledo from 1978 to 1984. In 1984 he was hired as head coach by OU.

bbtds

Quote from: OUAlum on March 11, 2017, 04:25:52 PM
Greg Kampe was never an assistant at Oakland. He was an assistant at Toledo from 1978 to 1984. In 1984 he was hired as head coach by OU.

Kampe's wikipedia page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greg_Kampe

Greg Kampe

Sport(s)   Basketball
Current position
Title   Head coach
Team   Oakland
Conference   Horizon League
Record   567–418
Biographical details
Born   December 5, 1955 (age 61)
Defiance, Ohio
Playing career
1974–1978   Bowling Green
Coaching career (HC unless noted)
1978–1984   Toledo (asst.)
1984–present   Oakland
Head coaching record
Overall   567–418 (.576)
Accomplishments and honors
Championships
3× Summit League Tournament champions (2005, 2010, 2011)
3× Summit League regular season champions (2000, 2010, 2011)
Awards
4× Summit League Coach of the Year (2000, 2007, 2010, 2011)

valpopal

It's official:

[tweet]846467180329947136[/tweet]