• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Waters retires!

Started by vu72, March 08, 2017, 07:57:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

zvillehaze

I know I'm in the minority, but I always liked Gary (except when he was beating my team).  He was abrasive at times, but was brutally honest and never backed down from anyone.  He would fight you tooth and nail, then compliment you after the game.  A true competitor.  His 2009 team embodied his personality and was one of the toughest teams I've ever seen in the Horizon.  I hope he enjoys his retirement.

StlVUFan

Quote from: zvillehaze on March 09, 2017, 09:55:57 PM
I know I'm in the minority, but I always liked Gary (except when he was beating my team).  He was abrasive at times, but was brutally honest and never backed down from anyone.  He would fight you tooth and nail, then compliment you after the game.  A true competitor.  His 2009 team embodied his personality and was one of the toughest teams I've ever seen in the Horizon.  I hope he enjoys his retirement.
Those early (in Valpo years) teams were the ones that intimidated me more than any other HL team, including Butler.  One of his guys got a serious tryout with the NY Jets, for crying out loud ;)  I'm still amazed that we could scare them in the semifinals like we did in 2008.

crusadermoe

Yes, that one forward (Bullock?) 8-10 years ago was a beast.  I bet he got the tryout with the Jets.  Can't remember his name for sure. 

Brad Stevens proved a lot when he brought Howard, Hayward and their future NBA freshman guard into Cleveland in December and won when they were supposed to be rebuilding.   

StlVUFan

Quote from: crusadermoe on March 13, 2017, 05:22:58 PMYes, that one forward (Bullock?) 8-10 years ago was a beast.  I bet he got the tryout with the Jets.  Can't remember his name for sure.
J'Nathan

justducky

Quote from: StlVUFan on March 10, 2017, 12:56:25 AMThose early (in Valpo years) teams were the ones that intimidated me more than any other HL team, including Butler.  One of his guys got a serious tryout with the NY Jets, for crying out loud   I'm still amazed that we could scare them in the semifinals like we did in 2008.
That 2008 semifinal was my last trip to Hinkle and I doubt I will ever be there again.

bbtds

Dennis Felton has now been hired by Cleveland State and brings the coaching vacancies in the Horizon League down to one.

Dennis Felton (Cleveland State)
Bacari Alexander (Detroit)
Linc Darner (Green Bay)
LaVall Jordan (Milwaukee)
John Brannen (Northern Kentucky)
Greg Kampe (Oakland)
Steve McClain (UIC)
Matt Lottich (Valparaiso)
Scott Nagy (Wright State)
Vacant (Youngstown State)

wh

Quote from: wh on March 25, 2017, 10:30:51 AM
For those like me who have no idea who Dennis Felton is:

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.cleveland.com/v1/articles/20379146/dennis_felton_looks_to_be_next.amp

Something else I'd never heard before:

Felton was hired by Georgia in 2003. With the Bulldogs Felton was 84-91 between 2003 and 2009. They won the SEC Tournament in 2008 as the No. 12 seed, winning four games in three days. He was then fired mid-season in 2009.

Following is a heartwarming video story about this amazing accomplishment;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3g1KghMpobs

valporun

I believe this story was a 30 for 30 special about the SEC tourney starting out in Atlanta, then they had the tornado, which moved the tournament from the Georgia Dome to Georgia Tech's facility.

valpo84

Article from Crain's on the hiring and salary of Dennis Felton.  He was a hot young coach when he went from Western Kentucky to Georgia.  I was surprised at his deal, but CSU is not a great job anymore.  It has become a "recycled" coaches place with hires like Rollie Massimino, Gary Waters and now Felton.  They probably had to overpay (like Duquesne) to get any coach with decent HC experience.

http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20170328/BLOGS06/170329776/new-cleveland-state-basketball-coach-gets-five-year-deal-can-earn-up#utm_medium=email&utm_source=ccl-akronmorning&utm_campaign=ccl-akronmorning-20170329&email_realestate
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum