• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo website has a page for St. Joe's students

Started by VULB#62, March 30, 2017, 08:56:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

Did you know that there is an opening link on the VU website saying:  St. Joseph's Students Click Here?  It's the very first thing you see.

it takes you to this page:  http://www.valpo.edu/admission/saint-josephs-college/

vu72

That's been up for a while.  As unfortunate as it is for St. Joe and their students and alumni, it could be a big plus for Valpo.  It is also a very solid example of why the endowment is such a big deal.  St. Joe has an endowment of about $50 million and it wasn't enough.  I addition they had for many years relied on nuns and priest doing work and teaching for basicly nothing.  As their numbers declined the costs went up.

As I see it, not only could we garner students, but also faculty. I'm sure there are many phd's working there who may not want to relocate.  With Valpo being only a 40 mile drive I would think we could have our pick of both students and faculty.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

crusaderjoe

Quote from: vu72 on March 30, 2017, 11:16:54 AM
That's been up for a while.  As unfortunate as it is for St. Joe and their students and alumni, it could be a big plus for Valpo.  It is also a very solid example of why the endowment is such a big deal.  St. Joe has an endowment of about $50 million and it wasn't enough.  I addition they had for many years relied on nuns and priest doing work and teaching for basicly nothing.  As their numbers declined the costs went up.

As I see it, not only could we garner students, but also faculty. I'm sure there are many phd's working there who may not want to relocate.  With Valpo being only a 40 mile drive I would think we could have our pick of both students and faculty.

If SJC does ultimately close, could we somehow acquire or use their fieldhouse for our athletes?  Serious.

usc4valpo

Is it the same gym they have had for about a century with the netting bahind the baskets and the old school Pepsi cap scoreboards?

crusaderjoe

Yeah, I think that's their fieldhouse.  I was thinking more of the Hanson Rec Center.  Nice little indoor facility.

bbtds

Quote from: usc4valpo on March 30, 2017, 12:22:39 PM
Is it the same gym they have had for about a century with the netting bahind the baskets and the old school Pepsi cap scoreboards?

No, they expanded and took down the netting. I've walked through their gym.

http://athletics.saintjoe.edu/sports/2011/6/22/GEN_0622113400.aspx

Scroll down to the basketball facility known as Scharf Fieldhouse

usc4valpo

I went to a game there and was shocked at that time that there was a worse place to play than the hilltop. I wish I could get one of the scoreboard as it would look cool in the mancave

valpotx

Their baseball stadium was better than ours.  I always liked playing at St. Joe's.
"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

Quote from: valpotx on March 31, 2017, 07:44:29 PM
Their baseball stadium was better than ours.  I always liked playing at St. Joe's.
[/quot]

Does that include the present Em Bauer field?

Related:  Which brings up an interesting topic. Most stadiuns seldom reach attendance capacity. Are stadiums/arenas actually being set up more for recruiting/publicity/bragging than  acual attendance capacity?

valpotx

Yes, their field and stands are/were better than Em G Bauer Field.
"Don't mess with Texas"