• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recent Coaching Changes

Started by covufan, April 10, 2017, 06:45:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbtds

The Tulsa World says Scott Sutton was given the choice of dumping his brother, Sean, or both of them had to go. Scott chose to leave ORU instead of parting ways with his brother.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/homepagelatest/oru-sports-scott-sutton-released-as-men-s-basketball-coach/article_84b35875-6240-55e3-a15a-a78079155552.html

ORU sports: Scott Sutton released as men's basketball coach after 18 seasons

Scott Sutton's coaching career began as an administrative assistant on Bill Self's coaching staff at Oral Roberts in 1995. More than two decades later, Sutton's run at ORU has come to an end.

The school announced on Monday that Sutton, the winningest coach in the program's history, had been released of his head-coaching duties after an 18-year run at the helm for the Golden Eagles.

"We appreciate Scott's outstanding record, his loyalty and his long term service to the University," ORU athletic director Mike Carter said in a release from the university. "He will forever be a part of our great history. We love Scott and his family and wish him the very best."

Sutton's release comes on the heels of his worst season during his extended run. The Golden Eagles started the season 2-10 -- the wins came over a Division II and an NAIA program -- before ultimately ending 8-22, the program's worst season since Bill Self's team went 6-21 in 1993-1994.

Making matters worse was ORU's 4-12 run through Summit League play, cementing the Golden Eagles as the last-place team in the nine-team Summit League, missing the league's postseason tournament.

A source confirmed to the Tulsa World that Sutton's release hinged on the employment of his brother, Sean Sutton. Former ORU President Mark Rutland agreed to add Sean Sutton to Scott's staff, but current President Billy Wilson would not agree to an extension of that agreement. The source also revealed that Scott Sutton was given a choice to get rid of Sean Sutton and stay, but Scott refused and both were released.

Rodney Perry, who joined Sutton's staff prior to the 2016-2017 season, has been named ORU's interim coach.

"We are grateful that we have such a quality young coach to assume the reigns at this time," Carter said. "We are excited about the future of this program."

Carter was not available for additional comments. ORU players were also barred from making any comments.

Attempts to contact Sutton were unsuccessful on Monday evening.

The son of legendary Oklahoma State and Arkansas head coach Eddie Sutton, Scott Sutton graduated from Oklahoma State in 1995 and immediately kick-started his coaching career. Self, currently the head coach at Kansas after stints at Tulsa and Illinois, brought Scott Sutton on board as an administrative assistant in 1995. ORU went 18-9 during the 1995-1996 season, and Sutton's career at 81st and Lewis took off after that.

Sutton was elevated to assistant coach during the 1996-1997 season, Self's last at Oral Roberts. He maintained his role as an assistant coach through two Barry Hinson-led seasons, and was named the head coach of the Golden Eagles prior to the 1999-2000 season.

After enduring back-to-back losing seasons, going 23-36 in his first 59 games, Sutton quickly reversed course and reeled off 14 straight winning seasons.

The arrivals of future ORU Hall of Famers Caleb Green and Ken Tutt sparked the Golden Eagles' emergence in Scott Sutton's fifth year as head coach. During the 2004-2005 season, ORU went 25-8 and earned a berth in the National Invitational Tournament.

A loss to Maryland in the postseason tournament would only be a prelude to future postseason berths.

ORU began a string of three Mid-Continent/Summit League championships with the 2005-2006 season. The Golden Eagles made three straight NCAA Tournament appearances, the last an 82-63 loss to Pittsburgh in Denver in 2008.

Since then, though, ORU has managed only three postseason berths -- the NIT in 2011, the CIT in 2012 and most recently a CBI berth in 2015.

The 2015-2016 season was the third losing season of Scott Sutton's tenure at ORU. Despite starting 6-1 and later recording their third straight win over Mayor's Cup rival Tulsa, the Golden Eagles went on to post a 14-17 record. ORU was then ousted in the opening round of the Summit League Tournament.

The news of Sutton's departure came as a shock to ORU alumni.

"I'm absolutely devastated," ORU Hall of Famer Steve Bontrager said. "I never played for Scott Sutton, but he did more for me than anyone knows. I cannot express what Scott Sutton has meant to ORU.

"I understand the university needed to take it a different direction, but I wish it could have been handled better."

Former player under Scott Sutton, Mickey Michalec, echoed Bontrager's comments.

"I'm extremely loyal to the Sutton family," Michalec said. "I was able to play for Scott, and my thoughts are with Scott, his wife Kim and his girls.

"He's been extremely loyal and I'm confused with the loyalty in return. But they decided that's the best direction for the program at this point. But there's going to have to be a lot of explanation to those who have helped restore the Titan years to the Golden Eagles glory years."

bbtds

KRMG radio in Tulsa shows on their website that Scott Sutton released a statement about 9:30 p.m. CDT

http://www.krmg.com/news/local/oru-releases-sutton-from-position-men-head-basketball-coach/SRSBDDVDVDS5GNyapzVs2J/

He released a statement Monday night:

"For the last 22 years, I've been honored to be a part of Oral Roberts University. My 18 years as head coach will always be some of my fondest memories. While I'm proud of our wins, conference championships, and postseason tournament appearances, what I'll cherish the most are the relationships we built and the impact we made on the hundreds of players who came through our program over the years. While today's events have been difficult, I choose to focus on the many successful years we enjoyed at ORU."

covufan

I guess the "He found out via twitter", wasn't quite accurate.

Who knows, Sutton may end up at New Mexico State.

valpotx

I was surprised that he stayed at ORU throughout their successful years.  With those restrictions in place, they will never see another Caleb Green or Ken Tutt-type player...
"Don't mess with Texas"

FieldGoodie05

Thank you Maryland for keeping the flame alive.  UNC may not deserve the "death penalty" but clearly they need significant punishment.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/19131827/maryland-president-wallace-loh-says-expect-death-penalty-north-carolina-tar-heels-athletics