• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

VU Law School ranked #7 by National Jurist Magazine

Started by wh, April 25, 2017, 07:32:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

As the father of a VU Law School graduate, I was thrilled to see this!

VALPARAISO LAW EARNS A+ RATING AND #7 RANKING FOR PRACTICAL TRAINING BY NATIONAL JURIST MAGAZINE

http://www.valpo.edu/law/valparaiso-law-earns-a-rating-and-7-ranking-for-practical-training-by-national-jurist-magazine

VULB#62

That's very good news in the face of previous reports of the down-turn in the legal profession and law school enrollment.

a3uge

Can someone explain what this is? Wasn't there just a hit-piece on the law school a year ago?

wh

Great article from the NWI Times:

Valpo law school earns high marks
Susan Emery Times Correspondent Apr 24, 2017 Updated 17 hrs ago 

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/porter/valpo-law-school-earns-high-marks/article_8033f388-768c-514d-aeb8-66e1943e1854.html

FWalum

Quote from: a3uge on April 25, 2017, 07:49:30 AM
Can someone explain what this is? Wasn't there just a hit-piece on the law school a year ago?
Yes there was - http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/post-tribune/news/ct-ptb-valparaiso-law-censure-st-1119-20161117-story.html I think this quote from the article kind of explains the situation. VU Law appears to be taking some positive steps forward.
QuotePractical training continues to play a key role in legal education, even as schools struggle with bar passage rates. We identify schools that offer the most opportunities.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

valpotx

Hmm, very interesting.  Hopefully this is a positive sign that the school will be viewed in a more positive light going forward.  That article last year was terrible for our Law school. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

agibson

Huh, did I somehow miss the formal ABA censure? Probably it was no surprise given the enrollment trends.

But, to be clear, I assume the "hit piece" people are referring to was the NY Times article
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/19/business/dealbook/an-expensive-law-degree-and-no-place-to-use-it.html

The pawn shop reference seems a bit heavy. But, there are even some people connected with the law school who don't consider it a "hit piece".

Congrats to the law school on the new recognition. Hopefully a sign that they're moving in a good direction!

crusaderjoe

What a nice achievement for the law school. However, that said, and I certainly do not wish to minimize this achievement, but unless this ranking translates to more Valpo law graduates being able to compete and secure employment against graduates of other schools in the marketplace, it doesn't mean that much really.  1L attrition and bar passage rates, and particularly July bar passage rates (because there are usually a greater number of repeat takers in February) are better indicators of where a law school is trending, IMO.  But this is certainly nice recognition, don't get me wrong.

valpopal

Quote from: agibson on April 25, 2017, 04:39:19 PM
I assume the "hit piece" people are referring to was the NY Times article
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/19/business/dealbook/an-expensive-law-degree-and-no-place-to-use-it.html

The pawn shop reference seems a bit heavy. But, there are even some people connected with the law school who don't consider it a "hit piece".

Of course some in the Law School would not want to acknowledge the article was a hit piece because they cooperated and contributed to it, and they are avoiding self-incrimination.

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

78crusader

Still not sure about the future of VU's law school, even with the favorable report.

I didn't hear encouraging news when I was on campus at Homecoming.

It boils down to enrollment for next year, I think.  There is no doubt that the sanction by the ABA has hurt recruitment. 

The administration is torn between allocating resources between degree programs that are thriving, and those that are not, and the avalanche of unfavorable publicity that would accompany closing the law school.

Paul

vu72

Quote from: 78crusader on November 15, 2017, 10:44:53 AM
Still not sure about the future of VU's law school, even with the favorable report.

It boils down to enrollment for next year, I think.  There is no doubt that the sanction by the ABA has hurt recruitment. 

The administration is torn between allocating resources between degree programs that are thriving, and those that are not, and the avalanche of unfavorable publicity that would accompany closing the law school.

Paul

No doubt many big time donors hold law degrees from Valpo. If I had a law degree and they closed the school I would not be pleased as in effect it downgrades the value of the degree I hold.  As in "where did you get your law degree?  Valpo?  Isn't that the school that closed its doors because of their weak reputation?"
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

78crusader

Quote from: vu72 on November 15, 2017, 10:53:42 AM
Quote from: 78crusader on November 15, 2017, 10:44:53 AM

Paul

No doubt many big time donors hold law degrees from Valpo. If I had a law degree and they closed the school I would not be pleased as in effect it downgrades the value of the degree I hold.  As in "where did you get your law degree?  Valpo?  Isn't that the school that closed its doors because of their weak reputation?"

Therein lies the problem.  Not sure what the outcome will be here. 

Paul

bbtds

I really hope Valpo doesn't "lay down the law" (school). Unfortunately they must be the judge and jury on this one.

At least they aren't the university that is closing their optometry school in 2020.

VU2014

I just heard a rumor that Valparaiso Law school will not accept a new class in the fall.  ??? It sounded like they were on the right track.

bbtds

Quote from: VU2014 on November 16, 2017, 01:24:51 PM
I just heard a rumor that Valparaiso Law school will not accept a new class in the fall.  ??? It sounded like they were on the right track.

It sounds like the quality of the students were going up but the bad publicity has killed the enrollment and doomed the financial prognosis of the law school.

usc4valpo

The reality is that you cannot fiscally sustain a college of law with 31 incoming students. Law schools are hurting nationally - even northwestern has lowered their admission standards a bit.