• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Per Paul Oren: German U18 NTL Team member Marten Linßen is a VU Verbal Commit

Started by VU2014, April 28, 2017, 02:23:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FWalum

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on May 01, 2017, 04:33:36 PM
Quote from: vu72 on May 01, 2017, 03:40:02 PM
Quote from: VU2014 on May 01, 2017, 01:35:33 PMHe said the magic words -- for me at least: rebounding, defense, hustle and will. Sounds like a lunch pail kind of scrapper.
Re

Perhaps a bigger, more athletic version of Kevin Van Wijk!

Is anything official?  Not seeing anything announcing this other than "heard it from a guy".
Haven't seen an official announcement, but Oren doesn't print rumors so I think the article pretty much makes it "official".  I doubt the kid would have talked to him if something definite wasn't in the works.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

VU2014

Coaches can't talk about a player until he official signs his letter of intent and all the paper work is turned in.

Didn't Paul mention that he was suppose do the paper-work this past weekend or something? They are probably just waiting till its official with the NCAA.

justducky

Quote from: a3uge on April 28, 2017, 05:51:38 PMThat's the most athletic fat 6'9 player I've ever seen.

Seems like this isn't exactly the type player we were looking for. Not even close. Instead we decided that this was the guy we had to have  :o, and the fact it was our last scholarship quickly diminished in importance.

Rightly or wrongly I will associate and compare this guy to the Taylor Bruninga offer that we never quite brought ourselves to make. The progression and ultimate developments for both should be a lot of fun to watch. Lets hope both will be great credits to themselves and their chosen institutions.  :thumbsup:

a3uge

Quote from: justducky on May 01, 2017, 06:54:41 PM
Quote from: a3uge on April 28, 2017, 05:51:38 PMThat's the most athletic fat 6'9 player I've ever seen.

Seems like this isn't exactly the type player we were looking for. Not even close. Instead we decided that this was the guy we had to have  :o, and the fact it was our last scholarship quickly diminished in importance.

Rightly or wrongly I will associate and compare this guy to the Taylor Bruninga offer that we never quite brought ourselves to make. The progression and ultimate developments for both should be a lot of fun to watch. Lets hope both will be great credits to themselves and their chosen institutions.  [emoji106]

DAS HAMMER > soft local kid

valporun

Quote from: VULB#62 on May 01, 2017, 02:35:39 PM
Quote from: VU2014 on May 01, 2017, 01:35:33 PM
https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/859112541275947008
https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/859112724428730368

He said the magic words -- for me at least: rebounding, defense, hustle and will. Sounds like a lunch pail kind of scrapper.

A different level of basketball maturity, and knows what wins games more than scoring averages.

crusader05

Lots of good info coming in about Marten on Paul and Michael's twitter feed. 2 things I picked up. Lottich has had his eye on this kid for a year and has a good relationship with his coach and rebounding gets mentioned. Makes me think that what Lottich anticipates missing the most next year after losing Alec is not his shooting, but his rebounding ability.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: crusader05 on May 02, 2017, 05:15:11 PM
Lots of good info coming in about Marten on Paul and Michael's twitter feed. 2 things I picked up. Lottich has had his eye on this kid for a year and has a good relationship with his coach and rebounding gets mentioned. Makes me think that what Lottich anticipates missing the most next year after losing Alec is not his shooting, but his rebounding ability.

With this addition I suspect McMillan will red shirt.

VU2014

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on May 02, 2017, 05:48:55 PM

I don't think so. I mean you never know but the scholarships seem set/filled and haven't heard any news of anyone redshirting next year other the Fazekas becoming a RS Transfer.

M

So you want the guy who can shoot from the outside, handle the ball a bit, and has some pretty impressive athleticism to red shirt?

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VU2014 on May 02, 2017, 06:07:01 PM
Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on May 02, 2017, 05:48:55 PM

I don't think so. I mean you never know but the scholarships seem set/filled and haven't heard any news of anyone redshirting next year other the Fazekas becoming a RS Transfer.

This is what sparked my comment, could mentions it.

https://mobile.twitter.com/MichaelOsipoff/status/859532548648652800

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: M on May 02, 2017, 06:31:21 PM
So you want the guy who can shoot from the outside, handle the ball a bit, and has some pretty impressive athleticism to red shirt?

"Want" and "suspect" are two wildly different statements.

I don't "want" a redshirt but Lottich mentions it in his pressed with Michael Osipoff.

VU2014

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on May 02, 2017, 06:35:08 PM

I don't "want" a redshirt but Lottich mentions it in his pressed with Michael Osipoff.

Good catch. I didn't notice that.
Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on May 02, 2017, 06:35:08 PM

I wonder how that will work out... Someone probably won't be happy if they end up having to Red Shirt. Like you said it may end up being on of the young PFs if they end up do Redshirting someone.

Probably will end up being whoever is the most raw and needs a year to get stronger and work on their craft. Or maybe it causes someone to transfer... (hopefully not)

VULB#62

More on Linssen

[tweet]859528006607536128[/tweet]
[tweet]859528283817480192[/tweet]
[tweet]859528929702539266[/tweet]
[tweet]859529181989916678[/tweet]

VULB#62

This from Mike Osipoff

[tweet]859531174150098944[/tweet]
[tweet]859532138789703680[/tweet]
[tweet]859530021916028928[/tweet]
[tweet]859530324992196608[/tweet]

bbtds

German basketball words

Dunk - dunk
Korb - basket
(Spiel)Feld - court
Mannschaft / Team - team
Trainer - coach
Spieler - player
Dreier - three-pointer
Auszeit - time out
Pause - break
Schiedsrichter - referee

Olé Olé Olé für die Kämpfe Uhlanen!

FWalum

The description of this video is pretty cool. "This time Derby played an away game at Leverkusen. Leverkusen out rebounded Derby 47 to 26 with Marten Linssen and Benjamin Nick dominating them on the boards."  Also interesting to see that this video is 2 years old
Really liked seeing #12 Linssen's hustle at 0:49.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

VU2014

bbtds

VU2014

Coach Lottich said Martin Linssen reminded him of a fellow Stanford Alum and former NBA player Mark Madsen. Said "Madsen had an unbelievable motor, great hands, and athletic, and Martin is like that. We probably need to work a little on the skill and he's the type of guy that will rip your arm off to try and get a rebound."

44:25 if you want to listen.
http://www.nwitimes.com/digital/audio/union-street-hoops/podcast-union-street-hoops-episode/audio_c0d3c7b6-47d5-11e7-874c-afc072e48d5f.html

Martin is a big kid. The only player that I can think of that had his type of build in my time at Valpo was Bobby Capobianco, but the "ceiling" seems higher with Linssen and he looks more athletic then Bobby, but they don't come as gritty, tough & physical as Bobby was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6BAvBbqPK4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDu28IUbjjA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1ciMXvSE8U

4throwfan

In the very brief little video about Linssen, Madsen came to my mind, and it was awesome to me that Coach's comment related to the Mad Dog, and confirmed the similarity.  It really piqued my interest.  That guy was really fun to watch, and I haven't seen it in a while.  If we have a guy on the team that is even a fraction of Madsen, I'm sure he will become a fan favorite fairly quickly, even in garbage minutes (if that's all that he gets), and even if the stats aren't there.