• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Anonymous alumnus has donated $1.4 million to Support Valpo Counseling Services

Started by VU2014, May 03, 2017, 12:44:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VU2014

https://twitter.com/IIB/status/859824144896143360

http://www.insideindianabusiness.com/story/35331896/gift-to-support-valpo-counseling-services?platform=hootsuite

Gift to Support Valpo Counseling Services
Posted: May 03, 2017 12:11 PM CDT
By Alex Brown, Multimedia Journalist

VALPARAISO -
The estate of an anonymous Valparaiso University alumnus has donated $1.4 million to the school. President Mark Heckler says the university will use the gift to establish an endowed fund which will secure a permanent source of funding for programs and operations of its Counseling Services department.

Heckler touted the importance of the Counseling Services programs which are aimed at addressing personal and mental issues among students. The university says the programs are provided through the school's Counseling Center, the Office of Alcohol and Drug Education and the Sexual Assault Awareness and Facilitative Education Office.

"College is an exciting time filled with exploration, growth and learning. At the same time, students may find that they need additional support to address specific issues and challenges," said Bonnie Hunter, vice president for student affairs. "For some, mental health concerns can cause significant impairment. Gifts such as this help to provide the psychological support students need to have a successful college experience."

The gift will count toward the $250 million Forever Valpo: the Campaign for Our Future endowment campaign, which launched in September. To date, the campaign has raised more than $152 million.

bbtds

Well now I can see a counselor when I go nuts because the VU alumni will not donate enough to help the program that helps the University the most--the basketball program.

I still say there must be solid evidence that the VU board will back the basketball program before I believe that their decisions have changed enough. Walk the walk and you will have a believer in me. Accepting a MVC invitation would be a good start.

crusader05

Are you really criticizing a donation designed to help students who are struggling with mental health issues because it didn't go to the Basketball Team?

I get Basketball is important but really, Mental Health Services are critically underfunded pretty much anywhere and it's rare for Alumna to care about this type of stuff compared to a new dorm or their specific major or college. This is a pretty nice gift and will benefit the students (including athletes).

bbtds

Quote from: crusader05 on May 03, 2017, 03:11:06 PM
Are you really criticizing a donation designed to help students who are struggling with mental health issues because it didn't go to the Basketball Team?

I get Basketball is important but really, Mental Health Services are critically underfunded pretty much anywhere and it's rare for Alumna to care about this type of stuff compared to a new dorm or their specific major or college. This is a pretty nice gift and will benefit the students (including athletes).

I'm not begrudging the Mental Health Services anything. I'm sure their needs are very much at the top and are definitely invaluable. I still don't understand why every other area gets the money they need and the one area that propels the University the most can't get the money they need for their facility improvement.

ValpoFan

Upper administrators have seen a private school in our backyard shut down last fall. They are also aware of other (small private) schools being in very bad financial situations. If you ask them, the top priority is growing the endowment to ensure the future of the institution.

Science professors and administrators were told by inspectors that Neils is no longer an adequate place for their labs because the fumes and gases are making it almost a dangerous place to be in. For them, the top priority is the new science building that serves the majority of students.

Residence life administrators find it idiotic to let students live off campus when you can build a sorority house that will keep students (and their room & board $$$) on campus and pay for itself in a few years. For them, the sorority house is the priority.

Current students talk about their HS friends who went to cheaper universities where they get to enjoy working out in nice gyms and recreational facilities. If you ask them, the priority must be building a student recreational facility.

Alumni want to proudly wear their brown and gold and brag about their Alma Mater. They want winning athletic programs. If you ask them, the top priority should be a new/renovated ARC.       

So what do you do? I can't argue with any of the five. Can you?

bbtds

Quote from: ValpoFan on May 03, 2017, 11:36:54 PM
Upper administrators have seen a private school in our backyard shut down last fall. They are also aware of other (small private) schools being in very bad financial situations. If you ask them, the top priority is growing the endowment to ensure the future of the institution.

Science professors and administrators were told by inspectors that Neils is no longer an adequate place for their labs because the fumes and gases are making it almost a dangerous place to be in. For them, the top priority is the new science building that serves the majority of students.

Residence life administrators find it idiotic to let students live off campus when you can build a sorority house that will keep students (and their room & board $$$) on campus and pay for itself in a few years. For them, the sorority house is the priority.

Current students talk about their HS friends who went to cheaper universities where they get to enjoy working out in nice gyms and recreational facilities. If you ask them, the priority must be building a student recreational facility.

Alumni want to proudly wear their brown and gold and brag about their Alma Mater. They want winning athletic programs. If you ask them, the top priority should be a new/renovated ARC.       

So what do you do? I can't argue with any of the five. Can you?

Which one of these "needs" if done to completion will make it much more likely for the other 4 "needs" to also happen?

valpo64

Wouldn't it be something if out of nowhere someone gave a large sum of money for ARC renovation?  You never know.

UNIFTW

I am a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist. My wife is a Licensed Mental Health Counselor. Different names, same job.

This is incredible to see. We need to end the stigma around mental health issues, and make access easier for those that need it

justducky

Quote from: UNIFTW on May 04, 2017, 05:45:00 PMI am a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist. My wife is a Licensed Mental Health Counselor. Different names, same job.

This is incredible to see. We need to end the stigma around mental health issues, and make access easier for those that need it
We are in total agreement but let me put on my friend hat and advise you to resolve those outstanding Creighton envy and resentment issues.  ::)

UNIFTW

Quote from: justducky on May 05, 2017, 10:58:49 AM
Quote from: UNIFTW on May 04, 2017, 05:45:00 PMI am a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist. My wife is a Licensed Mental Health Counselor. Different names, same job.

We are in total agreement but let me put on my friend hat and advise you to resolve those outstanding Creighton envy and resentment issues.  ::)
A couple points

1. Stick your friend hat up your ass[emoji6]
2. I'm envious of nothing Creighton related other than their fan base size. Everything else is sCUm related to sCUm

justducky

Quote from: UNIFTW on May 05, 2017, 11:24:17 AM
Quote from: justducky on May 05, 2017, 10:58:49 AM

A couple points

1. Stick your friend hat up your ass[emoji6]
2. I'm envious of. Itching Creighton related other than their fan base size. Everything else is sCUm related to sCUm
Good answer!  :thumbsup:   We should get along just fine.