• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Where do Non-MVC sponsored sports go now?

Started by VULB#62, May 09, 2017, 02:13:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

Here are the MVC-sponsored sports and where we fit.

MVC Sports                  Valpo Sports
Baseball                           YES
Basketball (M)                   YES
Basketball (W)                   YES
Cross Country (M)              YES
Cross Country (W)              YES
Golf (M)                            YES
Golf (W)                            YES
Soccer (M)                       YES
Soccer (W)                       YES
Softball                            YES
NO                                   Swimming & Diving (M)
Swimming & Diving (W)    YES
NO                                   Tennis (M)
Tennis (W)                        YES
Indoor Track & Field (M)     YES
Indoor Track & Field (W)     YES
Outdoor Track & Field (M)   YES
Outdoor Track & Field (W)   YES
Volleyball                           YES
NO                                    Bowling
NO                                    Non-Scholarship Football

Football will remain in the PFL.  Bowling has always been outside our main conference affiliation so that also remains the same.  Indications are that Men's Tennis will become an associate member of the Summit.  So that leaves Men's Swimming & Diving.  Three MVC schools (SIU, EU and MO State) swim in the MAC, but that is a huge leap for the program we sponsor.  The Summit also sponsors Men's Swimming (Travel?).  Affiliate member in the HL (Probably not)? MAC?   So..... where to go?

VU2624

In some of these sports, Valpo will be so non competitive in the conference that it may make more sense to not field a team. XC and Track as a for instance.

valpotx

We will definitely keep Men's Tennis with the success they have.  I can't say the same for Men's S&D.  That is a program that doesn't make sense going forward.  If we can't field a competitive team, and since we only offer something like 1-2 scholarships, it might be best to just keep Women's S&D alone.
"Don't mess with Texas"

agibson

Amidst the many swirling reports in the last days, I think there was some indication (maybe from Osipoff?) that some VU coaches were hesitant, maybe even opposed the change in conference (of course I'm assuming that there _will_ be a change!).

I saw one VU students on twitter, apparently a track athlete, recognizing the significant step up in competition. He seemed a little daunted, but also willing to try to step up to the challenge. Maybe that's too much nuance for me to try to read into 140 characters!

VU2624

Is it possible for some of the sports in which Valpo just wouldn't be competitive to remain in the HL?

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: agibson on May 10, 2017, 10:49:50 AM
Amidst the many swirling reports in the last days, I think there was some indication (maybe from Osipoff?) that some VU coaches were hesitant, maybe even opposed the change in conference (of course I'm assuming that there _will_ be a change!).

I saw one VU students on twitter, apparently a track athlete, recognizing the significant step up in competition. He seemed a little daunted, but also willing to try to step up to the challenge. Maybe that's too much nuance for me to try to read into 140 characters!

I'm told the overall product from T&F is equal or better in the HL.  When we were in the Mid-Con the programs like SUU, ORU and Western IL were outstanding.

I'm thinking maybe the athlete in question might have event specific competition concerns only?

valpotx

Quote from: VU2624 on May 10, 2017, 10:56:35 AM
Is it possible for some of the sports in which Valpo just wouldn't be competitive to remain in the HL?

No chance at all.  All sports that the MVC sponsors, will move over.  My assumption is that the Men's Tennis and Men's S&D coaches were not on board with a move, because it obviously puts their programs in more flux than the others that know they have a home. 

If any athlete is worried about a step up in competition, than they are not the right fit for us.  I relish the opportunity whenever some minor leaguers and ex-pros play in my old man baseball league.  How can you not want to test yourself against the best, especially when you are at the D-1 level??  We want progress, not the status quo!
"Don't mess with Texas"

VU2624

Quote from: valpotx on May 10, 2017, 01:04:01 PM
Quote from: VU2624 on May 10, 2017, 10:56:35 AMIs it possible for some of the sports in which Valpo just wouldn't be competitive to remain in the HL?
No chance at all.  All sports that the MVC sponsors, will move over.  My assumption is that the Men's Tennis and Men's S&D coaches were not on board with a move, because it obviously puts their programs in more flux than the others that know they have a home. If any athlete is worried about a step up in competition, than they are not the right fit for us.  I relish the opportunity whenever some minor leaguers and ex-pros play in my old man baseball league.  How can you not want to test yourself against the best, especially when you are at the D-1 level??  We want progress, not the status quo!

Thanks for the info regarding the other sports.

In terms of level of competition....that's it....get out there and train harder!