• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

The Lutheran Hour

Started by wh, May 28, 2017, 10:50:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

I happen to have WOWO radio (Ft. Wayne) in the car this morning (a favorite channel when I'm in that area). A program just concluded called The Lutheran Hour. I had never heard of it (obviously not Lutheran), but decided to keep listening. The message was titled "The Best of Things in the Worst of Times."  The speaker was Dr. Paul Klaus. It provided kind of a foundational history of Christianity in America and how watered down Christian teaching has become prevalent in today's society. For me, it served as a call to action to make some changes in my life.

I took the time to look up "The Lutheran Hour" website and find the message in case anyone is interested. IMO it's 15-20 minutes of time well spent.

http://lutheranhour.org

Scroll down to "Listen Now."

bbtds

Quote from: wh on May 28, 2017, 10:50:42 AM
I happen to have WOWO radio (Ft. Wayne) in the car this morning (a favorite channel when I'm in that area). A program just concluded called The Lutheran Hour. I had never heard of it (obviously not Lutheran), but decided to keep listening. The message was titled "The Best of Things in the Worst of Times."  The speaker was Dr. Paul Klaus. It provided kind of a foundational history of Christianity in America and how watered down Christian teaching has become prevalent in today's society. For me, it served as a call to action to make some changes in my life.

I took the time to look up "The Lutheran Hour" website and find the message in case anyone is interested. IMO it's 15-20 minutes of time well spent.

You would have been very impressed with one of the first speakers of the Lutheran Hour, a pastor by the name of Ozwald Hoffman. He once had to talk a kid who had climbed up the radio tower on the KFUO (St Louis) radio station, on the campus of Concordia Seminary, down out of that tower. That was where the program originated in those days. He used his radio/preaching voice and said things like *********, you might feel God's power very soon if you don't come down. I personally know God is with you and is protecting you. He will not fail you. Once Dr. Hoffman reached the child he patted his butt until that child was able to climb down. The Clayton, MO Fire Department was waiting below and never had to touch the child. Although the Fire Chief did give the child a stern talking to.

I was never so glad to get out of that tower and hug my dad again!!

I apologize was derailing your genuine post about the Lutheran Hour. I'm so happy you find a great value in it as many listeners have for over 60-70 years.

zvillehaze

As bbtds points out, The Lutheran Hour has been around for a long time.  I remember listening to it on WKVI (Knox, IN) when I was a kid.

wh

Quote from: bbtds on May 28, 2017, 12:07:26 PM

You would have been very impressed with one of the first speakers of the Lutheran Hour, a pastor by the name of Ozwald Hoffman. He once had to talk a kid who had climbed up the radio tower on the KFUO (St Louis) radio station, on the campus of Concordia Seminary, down out of that tower. That was where the program originated in those days. He used his radio/preaching voice and said things like *********, you might feel God's power very soon if you don't come down. I personally know God is with you and is protecting you. He will not fail you. Once Dr. Hoffman reached the child he patted his butt until that child was able to climb down. The Clayton, MO Fire Department was waiting below and never had to touch the child. Although the Fire Chief did give the child a stern talking to.

I apologize was derailing your genuine post about the Lutheran Hour. I'm so happy you find a great value in it as many listeners have for over 60-70 years.

Quite a story! Thanks for sharing!

vu72

Great story indeed but you give Dr. Hoffman to much credit when you say his first name was Ozwald (as in the wizzard) when the correct spelling is Oswald. ;)

Here is his bio.  You'll notice his honorary degree from Valpo!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oswald_Hoffmann
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

bbtds

Quote from: vu72 on May 28, 2017, 03:53:52 PM

Great story indeed but you give Dr. Hoffman to much credit when you say his first name was Ozwald (as in the wizzard) when the correct spelling is Oswald. ;)

Here is his bio.  You'll notice his honorary degree from Valpo!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oswald_Hoffmann

You are correct. My dad and uncle called him Pastor Ozzie but in front of others Dr. Hoffman. His voice was more booming and less calming in my early youth. I remember him walking into my dad's office and startling me by saying "Who's child is this playing in the shelves of Mr. *****'s office?" Then "Would he like some candy?" in his calm but still deep engaging voice. Between radio transmitting towers, Cherokee Street, my grandmother's shopping trips and trips to Busch Stadium II to see the Cardinals (even long after we moved to Valpo) I sure led an entertaining young life. I never did see the old St Louis football Cardinals play live.

bbtds

FWalum

Another VU Lutheran Hour connection to one of my favorite pastors.
Dr. Armin Oldsen was born the son of a pastor in Addison, Illinois. He graduated from Concordia College in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, where he was voted best all-around athlete, in 1930. After graduation from Concordia Seminary in St. Louis, he served as assistant pastor of St. Paul's in Lakewood, Ohio. Later he moved to Valparaiso, Indiana, where he was pastor of Immanuel, taught religion and sociology at Valparaiso University, and counseled university students. Oldsen was appointed as Lutheran Hour speaker in 1951. Although he resigned just two years later for health reasons, Oldsen preached the Gospel message with boldness and clarity during his brief tenure.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

bbtds

Quote from: FWalum on May 28, 2017, 08:30:09 PM
Another VU Lutheran Hour connection to one of my favorite pastors.
Dr. Armin Oldsen was born the son of a pastor in Addison, Illinois. He graduated from Concordia College in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, where he was voted best all-around athlete, in 1930. After graduation from Concordia Seminary in St. Louis, he served as assistant pastor of St. Paul's in Lakewood, Ohio. Later he moved to Valparaiso, Indiana, where he was pastor of Immanuel, taught religion and sociology at Valparaiso University, and counseled university students. Oldsen was appointed as Lutheran Hour speaker in 1951. Although he resigned just two years later for health reasons, Oldsen preached the Gospel message with boldness and clarity during his brief tenure.

http://media.lhm.org/lutheranhour/mp3s/historic_avoteforgod_oldsen.mp3

Pastor Oldsen sermon "A Vote For God"

Choirs have always been a big part of the Lutheran Hour over the years.